Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728152 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was in an RTD like that a while ago. Even the player characters were randomly generated, but I quite enjoyed playing my Dwarven Dream Priest of Zahabeednin. The main thing when running an RTD with true randomly generated content is interpretation. You can't just use stuff "as-is." Think of it as rocket science: the towns, quests, and objects you generate are the fuel for the rocket, but you have to build the steel mothership people will remember for ages.

Actually, that's a terrible analogy. To answer your last question: perhaps a mix of pre-generated and on the fly? You know, like normal GMing.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Ah man, I loved that game.

I was some sort of spider centaur hell shaman that had a spell specifically for ahnihilating archmages.

There should be more fo those.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So people would join if I made one then?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sweet, I'd like some more RTD GM experience. I'll probably start it up sometime in January.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

What generator you going to use?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Sweet, I'd like some more RTD GM experience. I'll probably start it up sometime in January.
I await it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'll vary depending on what I need but I think I'll focus on those found on ChaoticShiny.com, I'll probably ignore those that are dedicated to DND but after going through all of them, I think I'll use almost all of them. If anyone has any recommendations for sites, with other good generators, I'll take a look, the other generators I have in my bookmarks include SeventhSanctum.com and Donjon.bin.sh which are a little less useful.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I was in an RTD like that a while ago. Even the player characters were randomly generated, but I quite enjoyed playing my Dwarven Dream Priest of Zahabeednin. The main thing when running an RTD with true randomly generated content is interpretation. You can't just use stuff "as-is." Think of it as rocket science: the towns, quests, and objects you generate are the fuel for the rocket, but you have to build the steel mothership people will remember for ages.

Actually, that's a terrible analogy. To answer your last question: perhaps a mix of pre-generated and on the fly? You know, like normal GMing.
Oh man, I love interpretive generation.

Maybe building a wall for the analogy? You get the bricks from elsewhere, but you've still got to figure out which way they go and mortar them in yourself. That's how you end up with an awesome castle rather than a pile of rocks.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Hey, I'd like to try GMing a RTD, and I have an idea (Roman Empire approx 280BC, All Myths Are True). But I really don't know if I can handle it. Any advice?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Maybe not exactly the Roman Empire, but just an inspired world? It would give you greater creative freedom and allow you to make more stuff up, so you wouldn't get people sharpshooting you on Roman history and mythology.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

I'd basically be fine tuning it to be more adventure-friendly. I would like to allow people to lead armies and go political, while also being able to go small time. Also any and all gods would NOT be all-powerful. Jupiter would be powerful, but only in Italy or wherever else he has temples. Same for all other gods, both Roman and others.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I'm not done with the armory list yet, but I felt like sending this up for feedback. Basically, it's a mercenary RTD where you go on missions and blow stuff up. I think I'll just make it so that races, if people want aliens, have minimal or no effect, mainly due to workload. Though I could do something small.

Roll to Interstellar Mercenaries
A Doomblade187 game.

You lean back in your seat in the briefing room as the orientation officer starts his little speech. Standing at the front of the room, in front of a screen showing Mercicorps soldiers in action, he starts to speak in a lovely boring drone. "Welcome to Mercicorps. As new recruits, I have been assigned to ease your transition into Mercicoprs and your new home, the MSS Armelite. To start, we will begin with the various types of missions you may be sent on.

There are three main classifications for missions. The first is 'conventional'. This designation means that you'll be facing relatively conventional enemies and armaments, such as other mercenaries, armies, rebels, etc. You get the general idea. The next designation is 'civilian'. This means that you'll be going undercover in some aspect to accomplish a clandestine or 'dirty' objective that we can't be seen having our hands on. These are often the most risky.

Finally, the last classification is 'exotic'. These missions deal with aliens, enemies within the company, or missions that we can't classify otherwise. Extra caution is suggested on these, as you often don't know what you'll be facing. Most of you recruits will end up with a conventional mission for your first assignment, so don't worry too much. Now get to the barracks, drop off your belongings, and get your gear at the armory.

Welcome to my mostly-plotless RTD! Mind you, there will eventually be plot, but for now, it's going to be Eisensteinian Roulette style missions.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Welcome soldier, to the armory. You may choose a primary weapon, a secondary weapon, and your auxiliary gear. The pack comes standard.

Armory:
Spoiler: Primary Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Secondary Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Auxiliary Gear (click to show/hide)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I see you've gotten rid of intelligence and blended charisma and willpower. Interesting choice.

The armory list needs more dangerous and deadly contraptions, though. Cheaply available, if possible. Stuff like a miniature gravitational destabilizer, electrolasers (laser lightning!), that kind of thing. The flamethrower is a step in the right direction. Otherwise it's just "this is a gun, it shoots bullets, this is a gun, it shoots bullets better". Variety is the spice of murder, after all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Or you could allow players to make up special weaponry for themselves, within margin.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 661