Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726821 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5160 on: September 02, 2012, 03:48:33 pm »

I've seen TF2 elements before, but not a full RTD. Probably because there wouldn't be too much story involved, and just be shooting and dodging with a few complex things thrown in.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5161 on: September 02, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »

Hey there y'all, I was just thinking of trying to start up another RTD, but thought I'd best run it by some people before I take the plunge.
It'd be a futuristic space-based setting, when humans have begun to colonise the rest of the solar system. To give a vague idea of the time, colonisation has occurred all of the way to Pluto, but anything like jump gates haven't happened yet.
The game would work a bit like another game I saw, whereby some players are present on a larger ship, and others drop to planets to perform tasks. I've thought life might get boring for the people on the larger ship, so each episode would have an event taking place there too. Here is the player list I was thinking of:
Large Ship:
Pilot, Head Engineer, Security and 2 secondary pilots (to fly smaller craft such as fighters and bombers). There would also be NPCs to liven things up a tad.
Planet Squad:
This would be a team of 4, consisting of something like an Officer, Heavy Weapons, Medic and Engineer (of the computer, hacking variety).
As a quick summation, how does that sound? Also, if you need more information just ask, and I can make it up on the spot for you. :D
I'm sorry, but that just brings TF2 to mind. Speaking of which, has anyone ever had a TF2 RTD that lasted a while?
Oh yeah, I forgot about the large spacecraft missions in TF2. :D
No, but seriously, I should probably change the names a bit if this goes to print. :)
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »

Hey there y'all, I was just thinking of trying to start up another RTD, but thought I'd best run it by some people before I take the plunge.
It'd be a futuristic space-based setting, when humans have begun to colonise the rest of the solar system. To give a vague idea of the time, colonisation has occurred all of the way to Pluto, but anything like jump gates haven't happened yet.
The game would work a bit like another game I saw, whereby some players are present on a larger ship, and others drop to planets to perform tasks. I've thought life might get boring for the people on the larger ship, so each episode would have an event taking place there too.
So ER but presumably less brutal. Alright.

Here is the player list I was thinking of:
Large Ship:
Pilot, Head Engineer, Security and 2 secondary pilots (to fly smaller craft such as fighters and bombers). There would also be NPCs to liven things up a tad.
Planet Squad:
This would be a team of 4, consisting of something like an Officer, Heavy Weapons, Medic and Engineer (of the computer, hacking variety).
As a quick summation, how does that sound? Also, if you need more information just ask, and I can make it up on the spot for you. :D
Mmmm, never been fond of job slots like that. They tend to not work out very well anyway, since any mission that doesn't require X automatically causes X to be something else anyway (even if that something is scenery or dead weight), but I'm also not fond of the lack of customization and such involved.

Other than that, I still don't have a good grasp of what this game would be like. Would the ships look like something out of Star Trek or Alien? Would we be fixing pumps or shooting rebels? Would the players have standard issue weapons or custom built psionic alien symbiote cannons? All you've really said is "it's in space" and "no jump gates yet."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: September 02, 2012, 09:23:25 pm »

Slowly ironing out Roll to X-Com's mechanics and features. I have weapons, stats, skills, tactics, and the rolls done. Here's a sample if you're curious:

Spoiler: Sample (click to show/hide)

As you can see, I've been taking liberty with this and have kind of taken it out of the scope of X-Com. It's more of an X-Com theme now. The thing that will remain most unchanged is enemies, but I do plan to add a few in. I'm going to mix X-Com, UFO:AI, and just my own twist on things.

To do, in no particular order...

Technology
1st Mission
Misc. Equipment
Various other odds and ends.

I was thinking of having technology take a number of missions, and artifacts you recover can unlock new research options or speed it up. People on base (if that's going in) can also prototype, which is dangerous but could also speed things along. Still needs work and I definitely need some help in this department. Thoughts, suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:26:22 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:59 am »

Here is the player list I was thinking of:
Large Ship:
Planet Squad:
Mmmm, never been fond of job slots like that. They tend to not work out very well anyway, since any mission that doesn't require X automatically causes X to be something else anyway (even if that something is scenery or dead weight), but I'm also not fond of the lack of customization and such involved.

Other than that, I still don't have a good grasp of what this game would be like. Would the ships look like something out of Star Trek or Alien? Would we be fixing pumps or shooting rebels? Would the players have standard issue weapons or custom built psionic alien symbiote cannons? All you've really said is "it's in space" and "no jump gates yet."
Alright, thanks for the feedback. I was imagining the ship to be Star Trek-esque, from the Romulan side of things. But this is just to give an idea of shape, and obviously it wouldn't have all the bells and whistles like hyperspace doo-hickeys and teleporting beams. Crews would still go down in pods.
As for weaponary, I was going to stay with ordinary ballistics and explosive weapons, not too far ahead from weapons of today, just perhaps fancier in appearance, and with a few rare (oh lord, I've forgotten the word. You know, things that don't follow the pattern). These could be weapons like rail guns.
Also, could I ask if you have a suggestion for how to improve the characters? Thanks a lot for the feedback.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: September 03, 2012, 02:45:44 am »

Why not let the characters choose a starting skill, and then just hope they fit into suitable roles to fill a team? Then somehow select one (volunteering, randomisation) to be the officer, and if the mission fails then the officer is dropped for the next mission or something. If it succeeds, then the officer gets to fire on of the others. Ha. Actually that's kind of a spoiler for my own rtd, I was just typing to myself really.

Or even an officer is selected for each mission and then gets to choose a team based on the limited intelligence he has. So to speak.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: September 03, 2012, 03:25:13 am »

Why not let the characters choose a starting skill, and then just hope they fit into suitable roles to fill a team? Then somehow select one (volunteering, randomisation) to be the officer, and if the mission fails then the officer is dropped for the next mission or something. If it succeeds, then the officer gets to fire on of the others. Ha. Actually that's kind of a spoiler for my own rtd, I was just typing to myself really.

Or even an officer is selected for each mission and then gets to choose a team based on the limited intelligence he has. So to speak.
Actually yeah, I was thinking of a punishment/reward system to work its way in too, a teeny bit like your RTD. ;)
So, I could let the characters pick their own skills then just stick with that as a team, but assign an officer each time. If he does well, perhaps they get some more equipment, or money/tokens, or indeed to fire one of the others. This could work. Make it kinda competitive. Hmm. OOH. Or, I could let him pick the team, and the others would stay on board the ship... Okay, I might drop this entirely in favour of a more competitive game, cuz there's more room for fun there.

EDIT: Now all I can think of is something very much like yours, whereby I put them in to random teams who are directly competing against one another, before I start kicking people off. Would it be okay with you if I tried something like that?

Alright, plan has been rethought and Plan B put in to action.
This would be a different style completely (hopefully comedic, as it's more fun for both parties), whereby I will start with 12 players. These'll be split in to different sized teams for every round, sometimes even individually. The basis of the RTD would be the Ever-Sim, a machine which can take you to any point, any situation, ever. Oh yes, I just want the freedom to do whatever I want with my hapless players. :D I'd use a point based system to both encourage team-play and individual, working something like this:
For accomplishing the objective: 5 (only the first team to complete it would receive these points)
For being alive (in-sim) at the end: 1
For accomplishing side-missions sent by moi, via PM: Varies, depending on difficulty.

This (I hope) would make winning as a team useful to the individual, but not everything, hopefully getting some interesting lone wolf behavior at times.
Rolling normal d6, people could be knocked out of the sim for failing certain rolls, being killed or failing to meet a requirement for the mission (no civvie kills etc) and would take no further part in that mission. Further down the line (sounding a lot like la's now :P ) people would be knocked out until I'm left with fewer, maybe 6 or 4 to pursue something which my thinking hasn't got to yet.
How'zat sound for y'all?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:40:28 am by Spaghetti7 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:18 am »

That sounds perfectly workable and interesting. Have also PMed you.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:31 pm »

Viva la Revolution!: The RTD

Players would take on the role of either an American CIA Agent or Soviet KGB Agent to infiltrate a latin-american country, ruled by a dictator. They must find a way to ensure incite a revolution, and ensure that the revolution ends favorably to their country, whether it's through stealth, force-of-arms, or public appeal. They would have many tools for this, both mental and physical. However, they would have to earn these tools in order to use them.

Credits would be used to purchase tools, and those would be assigned by the folks back at headquarters. In order to earn credits, agents must accomplish tasks which impress the folks back home. Of course, the more apparent the task is, the more credits would be given by Headquarters. The issue with doing an apparent task is that it would attract the attention of the dictators forces, who would begin searching for whoever did it.

Usually, being caught would result in death, but if you have enough forces with you, you may be able to fight off the dictator, and establish yourself as a full-grown revolutionary army. Or, of course, one could simply assassinate the dictator, then push a more US/USSR friendly ruler in. It would all be up to the players to decide.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: September 05, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »

I'm thinking about starting a space type RTD, where 3 players each control a race of sentients that just achieved space travel. Each player would design ships and research new technologies while colonizing new worlds.

Any thoughts?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: September 05, 2012, 07:40:17 pm »

Not much to work with. "Space. 3 Races. Colonize planets and stuff. Please fill in the blanks"

I'd have to ask for a bit more fleshed idea but I will comment that I have seen very few "build an empire" do more than last a few updates. Most have died for being too complicated and numbers heavy. Also, what would dice rolls be for? Colonizing planets?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: September 05, 2012, 08:12:46 pm »

Yeah, I should have explained better. Here's some game mechanics I just worked out.

Research: Each research item will cost a set amount of research points. Researching is done by rolling a die, with the number it lands on being the amount of research points going toward the current research tech. You can gain more research die by building more research facilities.

Exploration: I guess a square/hex-based map would be used, with each empire exploring the map seperately.

Combat: Each ship rolls a dice and has an attack/defense value, plus hit points.The attack value is the number it must roll to have a successful attack, and it's defense value is how much damage is avoided if hit. Shields are basically extra hit points that regenerate after each battle.

Colonization: Every planet has an atmosphere value, which limits the amount of buildings and type of buildings you can place on it. At the beggining of the game, you will only be able to build sealed colonies on non-compatible worlds.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: September 05, 2012, 08:21:27 pm »

Sorry to derail a bit here, but does anyone have tips for making maps? I occasionally have good game ideas, but always seem to have trouble with maps, if I need them.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: September 05, 2012, 08:24:38 pm »

Just informing people I'm going to start a Gangster RTD in the future, with 6-8 players in control of their own gang. The game will center around expanding, fighting and managing resources.

I've become fascinated with the Sleeping Dogs game, and it has influenced my ideas for the game. I'm thinking it will take place in England, which already has a history of gangs. Also, unlike the United States, England has really tight gun laws, so there would be an emphasis more towards hand-to-hand and melee combat.

I'm just putting this here if anyone has an questions or ideas for this upcoming game.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: September 05, 2012, 08:40:42 pm »

Just informing people I'm going to start a Gangster RTD in the future, with 6-8 players in control of their own gang. The game will center around expanding, fighting and managing resources.

I've become fascinated with the Sleeping Dogs game, and it has influenced my ideas for the game. I'm thinking it will take place in England, which already has a history of gangs. Also, unlike the United States, England has really tight gun laws, so there would be an emphasis more towards hand-to-hand and melee combat.

I'm just putting this here if anyone has an questions or ideas for this upcoming game.
I have a question. Called it? Also, how involved will the police be?
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 661