Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728923 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4800 on: July 13, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »

Wounds seem... off? I can't really tell without an extensive trial run but it seems weird. Maybe it's just a fear of big numbers per turn. Or I just see any wound system as weird. hmm.

Also all of my yes. Would I be able to take -4 to water magic in exchange for +4 to flesh?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

Wounds seem... off? I can't really tell without an extensive trial run but it seems weird. Maybe it's just a fear of big numbers per turn. Or I just see any wound system as weird. hmm.

Also all of my yes. Would I be able to take -4 to water magic in exchange for +4 to flesh?
Regarding the wounds: assume that a typical guardsman has 100 HP and a typical goblin has 60 HP. Sewer rats have 10 HP and bosses have a 'You have no chance to survive make your time' written in their HP meter.

And sure, you can. My system can handle broken bonuses like these. Just know that your [6][1]'s won't be pretty.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: July 13, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »

Anyone want to bet that Derm causes at least three major catastrophes within the first 25 turns or so?

Anyway, you might want to cap penalties you can take. It'd likely end up extremely broken if you could just take -24 to a school of magic you have no interest in, and then apply +6 bonuses to four schools you want to use. (Also, what happens if you roll a 6 at max level?)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

I would jump into it, and here are my thoughts:
2- That could face some resistance from players that don't like their characters depicted as drunkards, although you could just say they wake up with a headache and make them decide the specific cause.
3- You could limit the number of items and their cathegories so they don't find their Wand Of Infinity Plus One inside a dumpster.
- And what are our limits? I suppose you'll constantly balance the power of each school, right?
- I have to agree the wound system is slightly confusing and the healing skill sounds like it can vary from tricky to outrageously difficult.
- Those bonuses derm asked are for the roll or knowledge level?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: July 13, 2012, 01:46:41 pm »

And sure, you can. My system can handle broken bonuses like these. Just know that your [6][1]'s won't be pretty.

*Note to self, get most brokenly high level possible*
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: July 13, 2012, 03:22:29 pm »

Sure, adding rulebooks during the game could be a possibility. It'd just need to be a bit strict, like "No rules can target a specific player." Should I start a rulebook thread then?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »

Anyway, you might want to cap penalties you can take. It'd likely end up extremely broken if you could just take -24 to a school of magic you have no interest in, and then apply +6 bonuses to four schools you want to use. (Also, what happens if you roll a 6 at max level?)
Hmm. Yes, you're right. Breaking the system through traits alone will render all the other wonderful ways of breaking the system irrelevant, so I'll impose a following rule:

The penalties and bonuses within traits have to be either -1 or +1. The apprentices with unduly exaggerated traits will be suspected of being older than they look, accused of being a body-snatcher and hunted down by the city guard the moment they are found out.

Everyone who wants to be all-powerful from the beginning will have to either fight a hopeless battle against wave upon wave of wizard-hunters or keep low profile. Either way, their short, short lives will be filled to brim with Fun and slaughter.

I would jump into it, and here are my thoughts:
2- That could face some resistance from players that don't like their characters depicted as drunkards, although you could just say they wake up with a headache and make them decide the specific cause.
3- You could limit the number of items and their cathegories so they don't find their Wand Of Infinity Plus One inside a dumpster.
- And what are our limits? I suppose you'll constantly balance the power of each school, right?
- I have to agree the wound system is slightly confusing and the healing skill sounds like it can vary from tricky to outrageously difficult.
- Those bonuses derm asked are for the roll or knowledge level?
2) - Well, the Introduction implies the apprentices aren't even supposed to know about such a thing as 'hangover', so they're not drunkards, they're just young people who got drunk out of curiosity or under peer pressure.
If someone's character actively opposes the idea of losing control while drunk, then what they did during the Graduation Night will be shown in a different light or, in case of some events, not shown at all.

3) - No, but people lucky enough to find The One Wand in a dumpster will inevitably lose it during the Graduation Night. If they wish, they can try to find the Wand and get it back; I'll be more than happy to provide a convoluted plot that will culminate in an epic battle with the Wand as the prize.

- Please elaborate. What limits are you speaking about? A sufficiently skilled mage can cast whatever he wants as long as it is within his school's limits, which are defined in the schools' descriptions.
The Magnitude Levels system will define which of his spells will work and which of them will fizzle: for example, 'crush all buildings around me to dust' will only work on a Level 6, and anything lesser than that will only result in partial destruction of the buildings.

- The healing skill will only be outrageously difficult if you don't have a healing item - something like a bandage for scratches, a tourniquet for serious bleeding and a splint for broken bones. If you do have a required item, Healing will be about as difficult as spellcasting or swordfighting.
Furthermore, each of the successes out of the three healing rolls will be considered a success for the Healing skill, which will allow for faster levelling of that rarely-used but vital ability.

- He asked for the roll bonuses. However, as I have pointed out, if he rolled a 1 on the fifth and higher Magnitude Levels of Flesh Magic, the results wouldn't be pretty. In the best traditions of ironic retribution, Derm's hypothetical mess-up would create a boss with a -4 to attacking trained soldiers and a +4 to attacking squishy wizards.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:26:33 pm by HmH »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: July 13, 2012, 03:25:45 pm »

Aww, I was looking forward to getting a five hundred thousand bonus to fire magic and immediately making the sun feel impotent.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: July 13, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »

So, I have decided to start another RTD, this time with quite a bit more freedom. As you may notice, the game's free-style gameplay was inspired by IronyOwl's unforgettable Staggered Magi RTD.

If Irony has no objections, I'll give it a name that will describe both the default state of the characters and the justification for the fact that our highly qualified masters of the arcane have a 1/6 chance to fumble their spells:

Staggering Wizards RTD

Alright, now I'd like to ask a few questions before I go ahead and start it:
1. Anyone see any glaring holes in the system?
2. Would you personally want to play a hungover wizard with an unknown amount of vengeful husbands/jealous wifes after his/her head?
3. What, if anything, do you want to add to this game?
Eeeeeee!

1 - Wound levels are affected by weapon skill but there's no defensive skill listed and only a very specific way to raise your HP. In theory this ought to mean combat will get a lot more dangerous the stronger the opponent, regardless of your own strength. Someone with Level 5 Swords, for instance, has something like a 1/12th chance of killing you outright (1/6th for rolling a 6, roughly 1/2 for not screwing it up afterwards) and nearly a 50% chance of dooming you to die in one turn. Even weaker wounds will kill you fairly quickly unless you happen to be or have access to a flesh mage (or have enough friends with enough free time to work together).

2 - That sounds hilarious.

3 - Ooh, tough to say. Probably more defensive options- I do love my living and being a mage-turtle. Some sort of summoning skill or ability would be cool but... well, that tends to be problematic on multiple levels. Crafting, including enchanting, would also be really nice, if they're not in already in some form and wouldn't throw things off too much. Some way to surpass max skill levels would also be cool, if unlikely to come up very often (especially for someone who hates to specialize like me).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: July 13, 2012, 03:55:52 pm »

Since we're talking about wizards; I'm going to throw this completly unrelated idea out here:

You 're Utility wizards

Basically the story is that all wizards have gotten themselves killed, and now you must save the world. Sadly, you only know utility magic

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: July 13, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »

@Derm: You can still gather 500 billion gajillion points in Fire Magic and make the Sun feel impotent; it's just that you, as a squishy wizard, will have to devise a strategy to defend against five simultaneous attacks from all schools of magic and also a whole bunch of arrows falling upon your head every turn.

Alternatively, you can point out very loudly that you can make children and the Sun can't. This will get the job done, too, although in a different way than you intended.

@IronyOwl: 1) A Master(Level 5) Swordsman is supposed to be that dangerous, because Masters are extremely rare. Becoming a Master requires you to succesfully land five Level 5 attacks, and an Expert has a 7/36 chance of doing so every time he hits an enemy. So, to become a Master from being an Expert, you'll most probably need to spend 5/(7/36)=25 turns hitting people. Which is a lot, considering you have to do it in a single day for such a rate of gaining experience to apply to you.

Also, the Masters have no defensive skills, either. The only two defenses in this game are armor and offense.

3) I'll make sure there are defensive spells in each of the schools. However, the essence of being a squishy drunk wizard is that you can't have a universal defense and neither can your enemies, so defensive skills are out of the question.
Say, how do spells for 'preventive counterattacks' sound to you? :P

This game already has a variation of Summoning: it's Soul, a school of magic specializing in making golems and undead.
I have decided to throw Summoning out because the GM can't control the inputs of Summoning with anything less than straight-out railroading, which automatically makes it far less versatile than any other school of magic.

Enchantment, as well as Alchemy and other Crafting skills, are in the game; however, you cannot choose them when making a character because they are crafts, not schools of magic. You'll need to train all Crafting skills from scratch.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:26:17 pm by HmH »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: July 13, 2012, 04:11:38 pm »

Incinerating 1d6 provinces per turn seems like a pretty good defense, but if it does go live I think I'll stick to normalesque levels.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: July 13, 2012, 04:32:32 pm »

Oops, I'm not bright. So, are there set skills, can you mix and match or both?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:43:06 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: July 13, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »

Incinerating 1d6 provinces per turn seems like a pretty good defense, but if it does go live I think I'll stick to normalesque levels.
But what if that is the norm?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: July 13, 2012, 04:40:49 pm »

Then I'll Derm it.

That usually works.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 661