Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726660 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3345 on: January 29, 2012, 11:07:38 pm »

My whole RTD is me making it up as I go along, and eight turns in I have seven people on the waitlist, one town completely massacred, someone who can explode at will, and a trio of evil trudging off to create a morally ambiguous empire. Just roll with it.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: January 29, 2012, 11:17:04 pm »

My whole RTD is me making it up as I go along, and eight turns in I have seven people on the waitlist, one town completely massacred, someone who can explode at will, and a trio of evil trudging off to create a morally ambiguous empire. Just roll with it.
Just roll with it.
roll

i c wat u did thar

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:12 am »

I don't know how.
Because obviously all of you guys keep detailed notes laying around about dungeon layouts, potential loot, and semi-winged plot.
My tips to being a good DM:
1: Have a basic 4 point plot, going back to front. Literally just set 4 scenes you plan out in detail, and just nudge the players toward them. counting the 5th step (Gather party) as optional, of course.
2: Have 2 basic fall-back ploys in the wings in case they go in the opposite directions.
3: Maps are optional.
4: Loot can be anything. It's up to the players to figure out how to use 10 Inches of Unbreakable Twine, but believe me, they will.
5:There is no tip 5.
6:Do not work with keeping the players alive as your final goal. Work with doing something cool and hilarious, and let them struggle.
7: Dungeons are dungeons are dungeons. If you can't come up with a pseudo-labrynthine death-trap filled with horrible monsters and semi-valuable random junk, you... probably shouldn't even be playing anyway. Just grab random hallways, pick some cool monsters and stick them where it makes sense, throw treasure in the alcoves near the hard ones and at the very back, and there you go.
8: Never tell your players anything if you can avoid it.
9: Practice your Indy Ploy. If it's an RTD you've got a couple extra hours to work in anyway.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3348 on: January 30, 2012, 10:02:22 am »

I don't know how.

Because obviously all of you guys keep detailed notes laying around about dungeon layouts, potential loot, and semi-winged plot.
Fully-winged, actually. I only have vague ideas of things I want the players to encounter along the way; most of my plot is derived from running gags, obscure references, and occasional soul-crushing irony. That ridiculously complicated and 109-page-long RtD of mine had absolutely nothing planned out when I started, and now I do have pages of notes on it just from incidental plot exposition and world-building. What I'm saying is that in a RtD, your players are your co-writers. Just guide them forward and the story will write itself.

And hey, you can use that Cult of Hellbinder idea for it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: January 30, 2012, 10:09:37 am »

What Gat and Thief said. Technically I have a plot document just to make sure I don't create plot holes, but I make over half of it up as I go.

A nice thing to have, even if you're winging it without maps, is a roll table, like this:

1 - Enemies
2 - Non-enemy Danger
3 - Nothing
4 - PLOT EVENT
5 - Item
6 - ???

Or you could have a multi-tiered roll table like I use to create dungeon rooms. Even if you don't want to make one of these, there's some nice free ones in RPG Rulebooks.

Alternately, if you lack inspiration, there's random generators which you can adapt to your needs.

I'm still beating myself up over not having the time to run a Zelda RTD myself, but I think you would be good at it Derm. It would be way rad as a first (?) RPG.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: January 30, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »

What I'm saying is that in a RtD, your players are your co-writers. Just guide them forward and the story will write itself.

That right there is so true, I'm tempted to sig it. Not just for RTDs, either- pretty much any GM-Player relationship is like that.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: January 30, 2012, 11:34:03 pm »

Another thing I like to do is to spend time during the day just idly thinking on what I would like the players to do. Want to go to a Haunted House? Imagine it in full detail, down to the cliche'd demonic runes in the wall. It really helps if you have an active imagination.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:54 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it but I would like some advice on my receantly created forum game Roll to Screw up History. This is my second RTD and I want to know what you guys think of it.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:51 pm »

Well, it's not an RTD I'm interested in. The first post is very small in my opinion (showing that the RTD is bare-bones simple) and the genre is not one I'm interested in.

Do note that this is just my opinion, though. I'm but one person.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: January 30, 2012, 11:47:11 pm »

Well, it's not an RTD I'm interested in. The first post is very small in my opinion (showing that the RTD is bare-bones simple) and the genre is not one I'm interested in.

Do note that this is just my opinion, though. I'm but one person.
Do note that I am doing all this on my Kindle and that if it gets started up hopeflly it will get more complex as time goes om
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

DinosaurusRex_x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: January 31, 2012, 10:25:48 am »

Phew.  I wanna update 2 of my games (haven't posted in over a month due to moving/getting internet/moving again/blah blah blah).

Does Necro'ing work here?

I kind of figured RTD as an ADD version of gaming.   The update post prolly just has to be awesome enough to lure in the attention that the game needs to thrive...
Play my picture adventure games: Roll to Dodge Mr T and You Are Douchebag!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: January 31, 2012, 10:37:10 am »

Yeah probably but it wouldn't hurt to also PM players if you're worried about it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:16 am »

PMing is very important. I've found that--in my experience--players, even to my active RTD, sometimes do not post for no reason at all. So PMs are very important.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3358 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:27 am »

I say every RtD on the forum should go on strike and stop updating until Derm starts his RtD.

:P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:34 am »

I say every RtD on the forum should go on strike and stop updating until Derm starts his RtD.

:P

We could use cryptic PMing.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 661