Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726828 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3285 on: January 10, 2012, 10:56:50 pm »

Roll to Flashback? Sounds like a solid idea to me.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:01 pm »

Maybe. Though it doesn't sound like an RTD.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: January 11, 2012, 07:29:48 am »

Sounds like an excellent Mini-RTD idea to me. I can already see my opening post...

'S'okay, so there I was, just mindin' my own business, when all of a sudden these goons bust in! No, no, I know what you're going to say, officer, I know I have a criminal record as long as your arm, but I swear I wasn't doing nothin'! The gun? How did it get into my hands? Well it was all very chaotic, and one of these guys dropped theirs on the floor, and I just, well, I took it in case I needed to defend myself. And that's when the police arrived. Eyewitnesses? What eyewitnesses? You of all people should know eyewitness statements are never trustworthy. So, are we done here?'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: January 11, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »

That does sound pretty awesome.

Trouble is, I'm not clear on how the truth/lies thing would work. The whole thing has to be a lie so you didn't actually do it, but the truth so you're forced to work together.

Unless you mean the whole thing is "the truth" but spun to your convenience, ie "Yes I helped rob the bank but it was derm who blew everyone up, as noted by my fabulous [6] roll for that part, so you should let me go as I'm least guilty."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3289 on: January 11, 2012, 07:12:35 pm »

One way of putting it is that a "lie" retroactively warps reality in the story. Players try to shift blame onto each other by lying and refuting each others' lies, changing the story as it's being told. When suspicion is stacked against you or you add something inconsistent to the story, your "Cover" meter (like health, I guess), goes down. You "heal" by pinning the blame on others. The lies, like a stack of cards, get more complicated and harder to manage until they come crashing down on someone.

It's true about everyone being guilty in the end, though. The setting might have to be changed so that the act committed was done by one person and everyone's a suspect. And like Tarran said, it might just work better as a different type of game.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:44 pm »

Can I get someone to co-mod an RTD with me?

I tried to host it already (Palette RTD) but failed because I'm none too reliable when it comes to updates.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: January 11, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »

I'm too busy at the moment.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:27 pm »

Can I get someone to co-mod an RTD with me?

I tried to host it already (Palette RTD) but failed because I'm none too reliable when it comes to updates.

What would this entail?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

New idea I just came up with:

Roll to be a teddy bear (or any other stuffed animal).

You are the child's guardian, and must protect them from nightmares. General plot advancements would be the kid seeing new and horrible things to fuel their nightmares, and the kids growing up. I'm sure someone else can elaberate, different toys get different powers, and so on.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: January 14, 2012, 04:14:55 pm »

New idea I just came up with:

Roll to be a teddy bear (or any other stuffed animal).

You are the child's guardian, and must protect them from nightmares. General plot advancements would be the kid seeing new and horrible things to fuel their nightmares, and the kids growing up. I'm sure someone else can elaberate, different toys get different powers, and so on.

Nice. I like it.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: January 15, 2012, 07:43:23 pm »

That's... actually pretty cool. Someone should do that.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3296 on: January 16, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »

When was the last time someone ran a good, old-fashioned... game of RtD? You know: no plot, no rules, and the story and setting are completely undetermined until a player says something. Like Sean Mirrsen once said:

"Think of it as a massive Schroedinger's Armory in the middle of Schroedinger City. The rolls (and the GM, to a lesser extent) run the gamut, there are no limits other than the ones you set for yourselves."

I love a RtD with a good plot and complicated and well-thought-out system, but I'd like to see a quick, dirty RtD with no plot (initially), no rules but the standard d6 and perhaps player inventory/abilities, and a universe that bends to the Rule of Funny. A purist's RtD, you could say. It's the kind of thing that dies out quickly if the GM isn't interested enough, I know, but I'd just like to see one again.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: January 16, 2012, 09:51:18 pm »

Definitely not something I'd GM, and very likely something I'm not interested in anymore.

Anyway, if you want to see one again, you could start it yourself, because I seriously doubt that anyone else will do it because we appear to be in a shortage of idle GMs.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: January 16, 2012, 10:22:36 pm »

When was the last time someone ran a good, old-fashioned... game of RtD? You know: no plot, no rules, and the story and setting are completely undetermined until a player says something. Like Sean Mirrsen once said:

"Think of it as a massive Schroedinger's Armory in the middle of Schroedinger City. The rolls (and the GM, to a lesser extent) run the gamut, there are no limits other than the ones you set for yourselves."

I love a RtD with a good plot and complicated and well-thought-out system, but I'd like to see a quick, dirty RtD with no plot (initially), no rules but the standard d6 and perhaps player inventory/abilities, and a universe that bends to the Rule of Funny. A purist's RtD, you could say. It's the kind of thing that dies out quickly if the GM isn't interested enough, I know, but I'd just like to see one again.

I have just the Rtd for you. Netland VII: Subversion of Innocence. It's run by a guy called Schilcote, and it is really silly. Not too many rules, no complex rolls. We have our own version of Derm, flooding Cyrodill with !!Magma!!. We also have real Derm, or at least NPC Derm.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »

My presence is now a bragging point. My climb to fame has only just begun!

Also Netland is a bit... ah... well, it's run by Schilcote.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 661