Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729723 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2745 on: December 08, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »

Anywho I have been working on a reboot of my first forum game (For nostalgia's sake), and was wondering what you guys thought.

(Also I know its a forum game, but theres no where else really to get advice, and criticism.)
You are a Dungeon Master

You are a Dungeon Master, and after many years of rest you have risen again to face the world, and stake your claim once again. Today your journey begins, but first several things must be made clear.

1.) What is your Name?
2.) What was your past? (Stuff leading up to you becoming Dungeon Master)
3.) What are your Starting Minions?

Spoiler: Starting Minions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Known Enemies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Areas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: December 08, 2011, 06:31:21 pm »

Your making things to complex for yourself again. RTD's aren't really suppose to be like Pen and Paper RPG's, even having an HP bar in an RTD is sort of a stretch in my opinion.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: December 08, 2011, 06:37:19 pm »

Your making things to complex for yourself again. RTD's aren't really suppose to be like Pen and Paper RPG's, even having an HP bar in an RTD is sort of a stretch in my opinion.

I agree.. plus, the more rules/stats you put out there, the more confined you are as a story teller. What is interesting about the story of the dungeon master? What motivates and engages the players? This is a dwarf fortress forum, so the average person is going to want some more detail, but... how can you incorporate the kind of minions you want and make the game user friendly? Is there any connection between the players?

I know this isn't necessarily intended for the RTD forum, but I've always been under the opinion "less is more" in terms of RP. There have been some fantastically successful forum games that are very rules heavy (Such as : "YOU ARE KING") but that is seems to be an exception rather than the rule.

My genuine advice is to think of the game you want to play/GM and then think of the mechanics(rules/stats/etc) of how to play it, not the other way around.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:40:33 pm by Mullet Master »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:03 pm »

(Its a Forum Game (No Assness meant))

Well its a game where you control groups of soldiers, minions, and creatures, but when you get a large group of one type of soldier I automatically form a some type of military unit with them, so I don't get up to to many rolls for me to handle. It will be a suggestion game, and it will be a bit slower paced, so minions won't be abundant early game, but maybe end game is about the only time you will have massive amounts of them.

I have also been debating about adding buildings to the game (Other than the basics required to limit the types of units you can get, or allow new types.) such as a brewery (Adds a bit of income), or an Apothecary (Can spend gold to make special potions to help units). What do you all think?

As for story I haven't got to that part yet :\

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: December 08, 2011, 06:44:42 pm »

You could do something like my You are Overlord game, adwarf. Pretty much the same type of game...Cept it was simple.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: December 08, 2011, 06:51:12 pm »

You could do something like my You are Overlord game, adwarf. Pretty much the same type of game...Cept it was simple.
I'll mull the combat, and stats over a bit, but I think I will leave them though they may get simplified a bit.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: December 09, 2011, 03:19:26 am »

Sorryyyy...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: December 09, 2011, 03:42:21 am »

:3

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: December 10, 2011, 07:04:05 am »

Just going to ask this... If I decide to GM my magic RTD, would anyone hold interest in joining it?
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: December 10, 2011, 07:44:36 am »

I would, yes.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: December 10, 2011, 07:45:18 am »

Same here.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: December 10, 2011, 08:11:51 am »

I would, but I need to cut back on the amount of RTDs I'm in, so I'm going to put myself on a freeze for joining anything for awhile (I'm already on the waitlist for a few things anyway, which if/when I get in should be quite enough for now). In other news for those asking about the Fire Emblem RTD, I plan on using the rest of today to recover from the college semester finally ending and relax a bit, but Sunday -bar anything coming up- I plan on doing a lot of work on it. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: December 10, 2011, 08:29:17 am »

I would talarion
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: December 10, 2011, 10:47:42 am »

Yeah, I'd join.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: December 10, 2011, 03:03:11 pm »

I need to be in more RTDs and I believe I displayed interest earlier so yes, I would join.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 661