Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728892 times)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2340 on: November 22, 2011, 06:44:43 pm »

Samurai rode with their soldiers, and fought on the front lines, but the majority were officers, so their duty was to lead the troops not go looking for death in battle though it always reached them in the end. To call them cowards would to be saying all birds are flightless, because Samurai fought to the end sacrificing their lives for their lords. Of course some samurai were in the wrong, but tehy were mostly the lords, and those of the lord's inner circle who became corrupt with greed, and power

I believe they were cowards, because of the way they fought. Most see them as heavily armored, "Katana" wielding monsters, which is horribly incorrect. Most Samurai fought on horseback, relying on bows and lances to damage targets from afar. The reason why they did that was because the Western Knights were far too heavily armored for the Samurai to even stand up against, so they used cheap tactics to win.

I guess you are right on one front although, they weren't exactly cowards. No more so than any other soldier. But who are we to say? Maybe the legends are wrong, nothing is every a lie, nor is it ever the truth. Samurai's lived hundreds of years ago, so gosh knows what.

Eh, scratch that, you're most likely right. I tend to pull my "Facts" out of two places: Wikipedia, and my own ass. Both aren't exactly reliable sources. (Except for when you're looking up corn.)

Naruto is a kid with a gigantic powerful demon in his gut who can use chakra (Read: magic) to do stuff like blow up two square miles of land with ease. This is a profession called 'ninja'. It's also a massive internet base breaker. Tell reg people you read it, you're a massive nerd. Tell anime fans you read it, not nearly nerdy enough.

Huh. I'm an anime fan, but I've never heard of it, weirdly enough. Is the show good? (Or is it a movide or something?)

I tend to watch things like Hellsing: Ultimate, Gantz, Beserk, Elfen Lied, Higurashi, Umineko, Steins;Gate, etc, etc...Not so much other shows. And, don't worry, embrace the nerdiness! That's what I do, anyways...

Edit: Herp derp a herpa a derpa, I didn't see the link hidden in your message. Sorry! >_>
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:47:22 pm by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: November 22, 2011, 06:46:29 pm »

Which is pretty much a textbook definition of a revolt.

Huh. I'm an anime fan, but I've never heard of it, weirdly enough. Is the show good? (Or is it a movide or something?)
I am jealous of you. No really. The kids around never kept blabbering about anything else for ages a while ago.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: November 22, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »

Its not so much that I don't embrace the nerdiness, it's just that to the internet, watching/reading Naruto means you are a (Derogatory term for homosexual).

It's an anime/manga with a few movies. It's pretty good, I guess, it rates higher than one piece or bleach in the US, if I remember right.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 22, 2011, 06:47:49 pm »

Quote from: Dave1004

I tend to watch things like Hellsing: Ultimate, Gantz, Beserk, Elfen Lied, Higurashi, Umineko, Steins;Gate, etc, etc...Not so much other shows. And, don't worry, embrace the nerdiness! That's what I do, anyways...
I couldn't get past episode 4 it was just .....

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: November 22, 2011, 06:52:50 pm »

@Darvi: Why would you ever be jealous of me!? Seriously, bro, the only reason that I don't know much is because I've only had the internet for about three and a half years. I'm still catching up on most stuff...

@Dermonster: Eh, I know what you mean...But who cares? I'll admit that I'm not exactly the most appealing person, being thin as a rail and ugly to boot, but do I care internet? No, i do not! I'll check the show out, thanks!

@adwarf: Is it the gore? That show's got nothing on things like Gantz, Higurashi and Umineko. Beserk is bloodier than it. Umineko has scenes of people's (Even children's) bellies slit open, guts torn out and candy shoved inside, along with gruesome and brutal murder scenes involving many different instruments of torture. Beserk has so many people being cut in half it ain't funny, while Gantz is just sickening. I mean, really, deep-to-the-gut sickening. Higurashi is bad as well...Oh gods, that fingernail-ripping machine? Yeah, no thanks.

...I wonder if I'll ever be forgiven for the evil things that I've watched.

(All Elfen Lied has is a few limbs removed and some blood, not really hardcore.)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: November 22, 2011, 06:54:39 pm »

Oh, uh, the anime has about two hundred episodes of filler all in a single goddamn row somewhere in there, so... try the manga instead.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: November 22, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »

Oh, uh, the anime has about two hundred episodes of filler all in a single goddamn row somewhere in there, so... try the manga instead.

Oooohkaaay...I think that may be a better idea. I absolutely abhor reading comics online, it burns the eyes!

Arrgh. I hate fillers as well, nothing good ever comes out of them...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 22, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »

I think the fillers start at the mutant fish-girl episode so you could just stop there if you wanted.

Three movies are pre-timeskip also, so, yeah.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: November 22, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »

Alright. I take it that "Naruto" is the first season, and "Naruto Shippuden" is the second? So, er, which one had the fillers? Should I skip the Naruto and just watch the Shippuden, or...?

Also: Your help is appreciated, thanks!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »

I dislike Anime and I do not approve of this off topic discussion.

Carry on.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: November 22, 2011, 07:14:07 pm »

The entire franchise is 99% filler.

Go watch Naruto abridged instead.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: November 22, 2011, 07:15:59 pm »

Naruto is pre-timeskip. watch until the fish-girl episode (That's the start, I think.) or the episode where the main char goes away for two-three years. You literally have to to understand anything ever.

Shippuden is post-timeskip and much better with filler, I heard. I dunno, I read the manga. Don't worry about that.

Also in the anime he has a really annoying catchphrase. You'll know it when ya hear it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:19:01 pm by dermonster »

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: November 22, 2011, 07:21:17 pm »

@Bdthemag: Ah, sorry...It's my fault, I keep spamming questions. I'll keep any further questions in PM, I really am seeking a ban here it seems. Please forgive this insolent fool (Who is known only as Dave: Masked Avenger!)

@Darvi: Er, maybe. I'll give it a shot, it can't be that bad. I appreciate the help although!

@Dermonster: Alright, that's cool. I guess I'll just start on Naruto then, maybe watch the first few episodes. Your aid shall not go unrewarded! Here, take this Pen of Mighty Slaying. It adds a +2 to ripping paper. Also, I hope you don't mind, but can I PM you if I have further inquiries? Don't worry, there probably won't be any, but I did cause a large spam on this thread, and I feel bad.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: November 22, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »

Go ahead. No one messages me for anything, usually, so I got space.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: November 22, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »

-snip-

Damn, you're exactly correct! I know that this is a lot to ask, but could you review how I'm currently doing? In the spoiler is just the perks for some of the classes, and I want to see if which ones are overpowered or underpowered. Sorry to bother...This offer is for everyone to view, and please DO NOT be afraid to criticize me, even to the point of mocking. It will only make me better if you point out all flaws. Yes, I plan to do a D8 rolling system, with a 1 being a critical failure, and an 8 being an overshoot. When anything over an 8 is rolled, the normal effect still takes place, but a hidden roll will decide if something bad affects the player who rolled the 8. Do you think this is fair?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know, it's really rough. I was planning on simply making a rough sketch-out, and then fixing it up later. So don't think that this is anywhere NEAR a finished product.

Yeesh, go work for a day and suddenly I'm way out of date.

All in all looks good to me, though I'd caution that you've set yourself up for a bit of bookkeeping. Not that I'm one to talk, given my first RTD. Point by point critique...

1d8 is fine as a system- in my current RTD - Roll to Deathmatch - I've basically got the same setup. In mine I'm still rolling at d6, but I've got explicit definitions for results 0-7 (highest and lowest only being accessible through modifiers.) Just make sure you define the middling values.

Various abilities have "x uses/battle," which is a good way to go about it if you plan to have clean, segregate encounters (most likely if you're encouraging the party to work together.) If you think it's more likely that each player is gonna go off on their own and get involved in a bunch of running battles, you might want to consider haveing an "x turn cooldown" instead- it depends on how you plan encounters to work, I just mention it as it is something to think about.

The magician stuff needs a bit of "how does magic work in general" before you can judge how well balanced it is, but I will say that Arcane Magistry is somewhat flawed at high level since it is useless if the player normally has access to Tier 3 magics. I'd make a special "Tier 4" that would only be accessible by that feature, or provide some kind of boost to your regular spells in endgame.

Clockwork Mechanism, when the Paladin is in Frenzy and has to attack every round, is that just a straight melee attack or would it count if the player decided he wanted to indirectly attack his foe- knocking down the chandelier, for example.

and slight sidebar,

please DO NOT be afraid to criticize me, even to the point of mocking. It will only make me better if you point out all flaws.

Although it is true that pointing out the flaws in what you've got will help you make better rules, mocking is still not OK. Criticism is constructive- Mockery is destructive. Don't assume we need to tear you down in order to tear down your ideas, and don't assume that because we've torn your ideas down you should go sit in the shame corner.

RE: Pirates v Ninjas- my stance on this matter is well known (yo-ho!) but like many internet arguments it largely depends on your assumptions, chiefly fantasy/realism and setting. "Pirates on a boat" vs "Ninjas on a boat" is no contest, and neither is "Pirates occupying feudal Japan" vs "Ninjas liberating feudal Japan." I do loves me some terrain modifiers.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 661