Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729064 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2055 on: November 15, 2011, 05:48:20 pm »

I'll think about it. Dragons are generally Last Bosses in FE iirc so actually getting a real one... I mean, the Shapeless class can turn into a dragon but it's nowhere near as powerful as a real one. ^^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: November 15, 2011, 06:08:49 pm »

Don't forget horses and pegasi for the cavaliers...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: November 15, 2011, 06:09:25 pm »

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:28 pm »

Again I am reposting the Endless Isles (Link- http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Endless_Isles) idea again. I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head for it but I feel like I should ask a few questions because I lack confidence like that. Should I add more !!MAGIC!! or toss in a Dash of steampunk-ishness? I am not sure how the Deathless would work in this RTD board because usually death means that someone else gets to come in, I guess I could have it work in a Story only kind of thing, The new player would just be the Deathless but with new stats I guess?

And then my final problem when I GM- A System to play with, I can never do exactly what I want to do with a system or I am not sure what to roll or what to roll for a action.
Raggle Fraggle

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: November 15, 2011, 09:26:52 pm »

@Darvi: XD XD XD XD Now I remember why I let you get away with some of the stuff you tried to pull.

@Riccto: You could always do what I did, which is when a player dies their character becomes an NPC (enemy in my case, but nevertheless). Or you could throw them out when they die and they can join the waitlist, and then when they get in again they could use their old character or a new one. If you do go the latter route, you could lampshade it by saying it takes an indeterminate amount of time for their corpse to start walking again. (I haven't read the link, this is just off the top of my head.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: November 15, 2011, 09:32:07 pm »

I guess just allowing a same character waitlist works. One of the premises that lets everyone try their hand at being a pirate is the fact that if you swear a oath to the sea when you die your shadow crawls off to make a new body for itself. So that works. Now I just need to pound out a system to work with. Something thats comprehensive because thats what kinda screwed me with Roll to Snake. I wasnt sure what I needed to roll in every situation and there where alot of loose ends for me in the combat department.  Can I ask for some help in that regard?

NINJA: Found a System I like. To be posted soon.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:06:38 pm by Riccto »
Raggle Fraggle

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:28 pm »

Here are the rules, So yeah, Any Questions, Interest or Critique?
Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
Raggle Fraggle

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: November 16, 2011, 12:10:05 am »

I sense the FE world is severely lacking in batshit wizards.

Fortunately if I get in I'll be working on that.
What, did you think the bad guys were sane?
Note that some of your units don't have all their marbles either.
If they're not crazy enough for there to be slavering atrocities to ride/play as, clearly someone's not pulling their weight around here.

...Also, I get the feeling everyone wanting to join up wants to be crazy... I may have to pre-in Dwarmin since I can at least count on him to play a hero... :(
I prefer the term "ambitious." Would well-meaning suffice for the hero part? :P

I agree to not using a grid or anything like that, but there's gotta be something a mount could provide even in a mapless game. Maybe a bonus to maneuvering rolls, or benefits to standing/moving over certain types of terrain, or unlocking special attacks, abilities, or stat boosts depending on the mount.

That said, I see what you mean about being rather limited, so maybe mounts would be better off as special equipment, rideable by anyone who can manage to acquire one. Figuring out how to get an eyeball to let you ride it could be an epic quest or test of character itself.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 16, 2011, 12:47:50 am »

Yeah, that was my idea (each mount having a special skill). Each class in the Recruit tree has its own skill, so I was thinking that each mount would have its own unique thing. Like the Mogall would have some sort of attack skill, and if you upgraded to the Basilisk type it would also have an attack skill that would allow it to stun/paralyze/stone/whatever the enemy. ^^^

Also, terrain is being taken into account at least somewhat, since the Geomancer and Westlander upgrades of Primal rely on the terrain type for their skill (although the Earth Stalker isn't limited by what they're standing on). I guess certain mounts could gain bonuses or at least negate maluses depending on the terrain. Winged mounts, for example, could just be like 'screw the defense-raising castle walls you're hiding behind, I'm attacking y'all directly.'

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: November 16, 2011, 01:57:53 am »

To be honest, now I'm kind of liking the notion of an insane spellcaster riding a scorpion, but who didn't give up any spellcasting for it (just had to go through hell to get one of its eggs, or subdue it the old fashioned way, or something equally heinous), so I might prefer mounts as special equipment.

If you are going to make them class-specific, though, you might want to make them more fluid by focusing on general concept rather than specific creature type. In other words, instead of Cavalier -> Pegasus Knight -> Pegasus Paladin, you could have Cavalier -> Winged Cavalier -> Aerial Skirmisher, or maybe Cavalier -> Pegasus Knight -> Aerial Skirmisher, with each class having an assumed range or set of acceptable mounts.

To borrow the Recruit template for a moment, for instance, you could have something like:

Cavalier -> Sky Rider, Knight, Scout
Sky Knight -> Hurricane Rider, Sky Knight, or Paladin
Knight -> Groundpounder, Sky Knight, or Paladin
Scout -> Blitz Rider, Cavalry, or Paladin

Instead of saying that Sky Riders use pegasi and Knights use horses, you could just require the former to have a flying mount (or one of the flying mounts you know fits well with all class evos) and the latter to have some sort of mostly normal ground mount (with the same restrictions).

The less severe version would be to have the unique classes be animal-specific, but the hybrid/generic ones not. In other words, you were still a pegasus rider or spider-rider or whatever to begin with, but then you can branch out to have an unusually pegasus-like spider or spider-like pegasus.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: November 16, 2011, 02:06:04 am »

I think you're under the wrong impression, here. The base class for mounted is Cavalier, like the base class for melee is Recruit. Once you get a class up, you choose what animal you want to ride, and that's simply your class title. You go from generic horse (Cavalier) to whatever type of animal you're wanting to ride, be it Cyclops or Mogall or whatever. If I did them as special equipment it wouldn't matter what class you are, but pegasi(?) and wyverns would be extremely hard to get, and everything else damn near impossible. Only horses would be common and frankly speaking they wouldn't do much except be a requirement that you had to have ridden one for (x) amount of battles before you have enough riding experience to try something more difficult. Otherwise you'd try to jump on a Tarvos's back, get slung off, and be autokilled with an axe to the back of the head while you're lying there dazed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: November 16, 2011, 02:11:44 am »

I think you're under the wrong impression, here. The base class for mounted is Cavalier, like the base class for melee is Recruit. Once you get a class up, you choose what animal you want to ride, and that's simply your class title. You go from generic horse (Cavalier) to whatever type of animal you're wanting to ride, be it Cyclops or Mogall or whatever. If I did them as special equipment it wouldn't matter what class you are, but pegasi(?) and wyverns would be extremely hard to get, and everything else damn near impossible. Only horses would be common and frankly speaking they wouldn't do much except be a requirement that you had to have ridden one for (x) amount of battles before you have enough riding experience to try something more difficult. Otherwise you'd try to jump on a Tarvos's back, get slung off, and be autokilled with an axe to the back of the head while you're lying there dazed.

I have little to no idea what you're doing. But when it happens I want in.

If you're not doing pre-ins then I'll just keep an eye out.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: November 16, 2011, 02:27:56 am »

I think you're under the wrong impression, here. The base class for mounted is Cavalier, like the base class for melee is Recruit. Once you get a class up, you choose what animal you want to ride, and that's simply your class title. You go from generic horse (Cavalier) to whatever type of animal you're wanting to ride, be it Cyclops or Mogall or whatever.
Yeah, which is what leads to the "next evo is just upgrading whatever animal you chose earlier" problem (if you consider it such). I'm suggesting making them follow the Recruit style closer, by making classes that can be attained with more than one type of mount.

If I did them as special equipment it wouldn't matter what class you are, but pegasi(?) and wyverns would be extremely hard to get, and everything else damn near impossible. Only horses would be common and frankly speaking they wouldn't do much except be a requirement that you had to have ridden one for (x) amount of battles before you have enough riding experience to try something more difficult. Otherwise you'd try to jump on a Tarvos's back, get slung off, and be autokilled with an axe to the back of the head while you're lying there dazed.
Well of course it'd be difficult, but rarity adds to value, which helps justify the cost.

Which I guess is mostly my way of saying I'm going to ride something I shouldn't no matter what.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: November 16, 2011, 02:29:58 am »

I had three pre-ins out of five player slots for a Fire Emblem RTD, but Taricus (who got a pre-in for assistance/continued assistance with adapting the mechanics to a more RTD form and filling me in with some of the other FE-related stuff I needed to know) opted to take the role of +1 GM as opposed to player (that way I can, hopefully, have three running at the same time since he'll be there to handle it if I'm busy or burnt out at the time or whatever, and he'll be handling some of the important NPCs as well) so now I only have two out of five slots filled. I'll put a warning up here before I post the thread though, in the hopes I can at least make like three or four consecutive posts in the RTD thread for space. :P

Also, @Irony: Sorry if I seemed a bit snippy. It's storming here and the power's already flickered off a few times (and stayed off once for four or five minutes). I'm just frustrated with the weather. :\

Quickedit: Irony you ninja. :P I'll read your post and edit a response in.

After Edit: Maybe I should just take a vote. Peepz, you want a mounted tree or just have them be special equipment? A lack of a mounted tree would mean less work for me, true...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:31:57 am by SeriousConcentrate »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:44 am »

I'm all for a separate tree. But the base class should ride a pony.Then the transition to pegasi makes more sense, among others.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 661