Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729221 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1965 on: November 12, 2011, 06:28:05 pm »

I have no idea what Fire emblem is. *Noms cookie* &Should prolly look it up on TVtropes but nah.&
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: November 12, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »

I could be nice and provide a wiki article. But I rather this one.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: November 12, 2011, 06:28:56 pm »

Oh hey that is some kind of amusing.

DAT EDIT.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: November 12, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »

Would it be viable to make an Phoenix Wright/Lawyer RtD?
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: November 12, 2011, 06:30:46 pm »

Yeah, I don't know if I'm taking any more pre-ins for an FE RTD. I still have a lot of work I need to do and three ins already from people. (The one who asked me to do the RTD and gave some ideas, and two others who I've asked their opinion/gotten help for certain aspects.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: November 12, 2011, 06:32:13 pm »

FIRE EMBLEM RTD? I WOULD LOVE TO BE IN THAT.
Raggle Fraggle

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: November 12, 2011, 06:50:34 pm »

So, Character Creation. This list provides a good basis for base stats (stats for a lv.1 character). Of course, PC's are speshul, so that should get tweaked a bit. Ditto for growth rates.

Tentative example:

Pierre is a Lv.1 Mercenary. As such, he should be a well-balanced character, not slow, reasonably durable, does flashy moves with a sword.
A mercenary's base stats and growths are as follows:

HP: 18 (80%)
Str: 4 (40%)
Skl: 8 (40%)
Spd: 8 (32%)
Def: 4 (18%)
Res: 0 (20%)
Con: 5
Mov: 9

Movement and Constitution are usually static, so they aren't affected by Growth rates.

Of course, as a PC, his stats diverge from the norm. I dunno if  it's balanced, but I think that substracting a constant and adding a random die roll should work. Like, I dunno, -2+x(-20%+10*x%) where x=1d4.

So with rolls of 2, 4, 3, 3, 4, 2, Pierre is a lucky bastard and has the following stats:

HP: 18 (80%)
Str: 6 (60%)
Skl: 9 (50%)
Spd: 9 (42%)
Def: 6 (38%)
Res: 0 (20%)

Luck is kind of a oddball. However, the sum of said rolls divided by 2 would be a good measure of his luck since those numbers are obviously luck-related. So Pierre would start out with 9 Luk.
I also don't believe Luk should be a stat that goes up with a level, since it's not something that you can actually train. Maybe it should go up whenever he gets two rolls below 20 on a d% in a row or something. Or you just increase it with Lv ups anyway. I'm not the GM so I'm not to judge.

And while we're at it, promotion.

Let's say Pierre has finally reached Lv.20. He could obviously become a Hero (increasin his stats by a certain amount and eneabling him to use axes).
However, his style is more akin to that of a myrmidon, dealing quick and precise hits instead of taking damage while dishing out hard blows. So instead he could ask to become a Fencer (or whatever you'd want to call it), changing his stat gains in favor of skill and speed, and instead of axes he gets Continue, a skill which gives him an extra attack which a chance of Skill/2 % (or whatever formula you want. FE4, the game the skill comes from, uses attack speed+20%, but that's kinda broken)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: November 12, 2011, 07:07:57 pm »

Yeah, that's a lot more complicated than what I'm doing. I'm attempting to convert FE into a format that is reminiscent of the series while being relatively simple; for one thing, I'm overhauling all the classes. The magic class 'diamond', from what I've seen, is ridiculous. My goal is instead to offer a number of base classes that can level up once to focus on a specific thing (for example, the generic mercenary could level into an axeman to focus on strength or into a duelist to focus on speed, sort of deal) and then level up again for a further focus or to give them a sort of secondary ability (one of the things I'm adding is a base class that can level up into either shapechangers, as per the clans in Radiant Dawn I believe, or into what amounts to Geomancers. If they took the shapechanger path initially, then the second class evolution would give them either more powerful animal forms or the ability to cast magic while still being able to shapeshift. The Geomancer path would either allow the latter or more powerful forms of geomancy, sort of deal).

My thoughts were to have each class have set stats they start with, then give the PCs a handful of points to further customize themselves so if you had, say, two Students (a base class for magic) you could have one who was fast but low power - a sort of machine gun, if you would - and one who was slow but their attacks did more damage, like a grenade launcher. Each level up would give a the PCs a few more points to customize themselves with (in a one-player RPG with a bunch of characters, it's all right to have randomized growth but in a community sort of effort I think it's better to allow the players to adapt themselves to either the party's needs or to how they want their character to eventually be) and maybe a general increase in stats regardless, based on their class.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: November 12, 2011, 07:18:53 pm »

Well, the amount of stat points one gets per level up can be randomized (Though you can't buy 3 levels of strength in one level up.)

Though I do say keep the Laguz out of the magic system. They're a species, rather than a magician type...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: November 12, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

But FE is all about the crapshoot stat growths! :O

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: November 12, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »

But FE is all about the crapshoot stat growths! :O

Yeah, but in an RTD you can't just keep reloading and trying again until you get optimal stats, or switch them out for someone else in your army who's similar but slightly better. Since players are more or less stuck with their characters I just think it's better to allow them a greater amount of control over how they level.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:56 pm »

You can't reload in the actual games either, since the numbers are already fixed the moment you begin the battle.

Of course Bexp in FE9 didn't work that way, so that was nicely exploitable by resetting.

Also, if you don't get optimal stats: Tough!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: November 12, 2011, 07:39:48 pm »

Anyway, right now it's all just theoretical since I'm only putting in a little bit on it here and there. Until I finish one of my current RTDs, I'm not doing a ton of work on it. (And I'm taking a small break from those since Skyrim came out and it seems like practically everyone's playing that. Probably do turns tomorrow or Monday.)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:27 pm »

All I needed to hear was Fire Emblem RTD. I am convinced it would be amazing :)

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: November 12, 2011, 09:16:21 pm »

Ok guys I am planning on starting a WWII Marine Raiders RTD. But I have a problem, I can't think of a decent combat system. So I was wondering if anyone could give me an example of a somewhat simple system that wouldn't be hell to do at a common basis.
@ Spartan - For some reason I am imaging you as Master Chief sitting at a computer drinking tea, and eating cookies. I don't know why
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 661