Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whats the Biggest tower/longest game you guys have had?  (Read 3355 times)

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whats the Biggest tower/longest game you guys have had?
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:51:27 pm »

I'm working on building a huge tower on the surface, mainly to pass some time as I see how long I can make this fort last....how big have you guys managed to get any tower you've built so far? What did you do with and of course, how long have you guys had one fortress (in game years)...annnd back to wishing I had more work to do /yawn ::)

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the Biggest tower/longest game you guys have had?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:49 pm »

I've had towers up to the 15 z-level above-ground limit. I don't usually change the worldgen parameters specifically to allow me to build taller towers, but I bet other people have.

The longest fort I've played was about 15 years. It just ground itself to an FPS death, and I abandoned it.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:09:54 pm »

I've built 15 levels up, then carved away the earth to allow me to build a 37 z-level tall tower. Though the lower levels were all earth.

I've gotten up to around 60 years, though you have to be careful with managing frame rate at that point.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »

My longest is about 15 and going, and through merciless atom smashing, a ruthlessly enforced pop limit on dwarves and animals and Toady's recent tweaks the FPS is still going strong.
Memento Mori

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »

22 years and counting. At one point I had like 50 babies and children, that was pretty horrible. Now some of them have grown up and it's getting better. The 15-z tall "tower" is in the fortress screen snapshots thread.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:06 pm »

Don't really bother with towers, had a 45 year old fortress which only ever had 9 immigrants. Lost it to a hard drive crash, would have been perfectly happy to let the fortress run until all its members died of old age.

Framerate was surprisingly bad, about 80fps after I dropped the gfps to 24.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:23 pm »

80 fps is bad? Maybe I'm more patient than I thought, I think i'm down to 30-40 right now, forgot to turn my FPS counter on :s will do that when I quit. Maybe I'll stop by tower then (4 lvls right now) but it takes 404 stone per lvl I think i calc'd it out at, Maybe I'll just make it explode on the next siege..hmmm

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:09:11 pm »

I cap my framerate at 35.
I wouldn't consider 80 to be slow?

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

80 isn't slow, considering the default cap is 100. Speaking of caps, why would you cap yours at 35? You're just causing the game to run slower, on purpose.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:22:38 pm »

Longest-running fort was around 40 game years.

Biggest tower from same fort:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the end I was getting less than 1 FPS. 80 is not bad at all by comparison.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »

For 13 dwarves?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »

My longest  fort lasted maybe 10-12 years, but it had major FPS issues out the yin yang. I eventually set cats to [AQUATIC]. That didn't help, so I set dwarves to [AQUATIC].
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 05:55:02 am »

With the DF2010's ability to set the amount of sky, I'm currently up to 50 levels out of 100 at Nakuthurdim "The Braided Towers". (Now, think about that name for a second...)

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:28:49 am »

Tallest "tower" I ever did was more of a fortification structure that surrounded a 0.28 era 2x2 embark map.  It was really more a sandwich of walls, fortifications and stairs that topped out at 10 high.  For proper towers, I've hit maybe 7 or 8 as a 10x10 structure... I usually build down rather than up ;).

For longest I had one of those rebuild the dwarven civilization type games that ran 60 years between 0.31.08 and 0.31.10

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »

For 13 dwarves?
Ok, yeah that is bad. I never drop below 100 before my pop hits 40.

My G-FPS cap is set to 20, that's the lowest it can go before you get any noticeable visual lag.

My longest fort was about 10 years, in 40d. I had gotten to about 160 pop and had 60 legendary military dwarves, materials to fulfill all mandates, 20 fortress guards upholding the law, all nobles, all happy, no challenge. And this was with two different mods that both added more hostile civs. I had, I think, 18 total civs, and only the most powerful one could even injure my soldiers.
My 10 marksdwarves all had over 400 kills to their very long names.
I broke into hell to try and get some death going (that's right, only steel up to this point) and the only dwarf who died is the one who one-shot body-slammed the lead demon back to hell.

The closest thing to a tower I've ever built is the marble domes I place over my surface entrance. They're usually only 5z tall.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:51:14 pm by Krelos »
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.
Pages: [1] 2