Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smashed Up The Trade Depot  (Read 899 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Smashed Up The Trade Depot
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:52 pm »

Basically, the elves are trading, and some dude cries about how his cat died and smashes up the depot, flinging stuff all over the place.

Question is, will they collect it up, or can I expect them to leave empty and treat it as theft?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Smashed Up The Trade Depot
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:49 pm »

They'll treat it as theft - you effectively just seized everything in the depot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »

It'll be the same as if you deconstructed the depot. In other words, the stuff is yours now.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »

Ok... so... I can expect a little wooden tea party next year?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:34:15 pm »

Probably not. I've honestly never been sieged by elves, even after years of murdering every trader to set foot on my retractable drawbridge.

Then again, maybe.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:48 pm »

Naaah. You won't get attacked unless you trade them wood repeatedly or cut too many trees. Elves SEEM TO bring less crap when you have fun with their caravans instead.

I mean, have fun as in seizing goods, stripping the merchants and caging them, or simply killing them and selling -elf bone bolts- to the elven caravan next year. Best part is that they will accept them and thank you for it.

Remember, magma is the universal answer.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »

Getting elves to declare war on you is much easier if you mod the elves to have diplomats again.  Then you can kill their diplomats, or agree not to cut down trees and then clear-cut the entire map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:58 pm »

If you really want attacks, clearcut your entire map every winter, then try to trade them wood every year after buying up the food and tamed animals, then kill all their animals and all but one of the elves so that if they don't export terror yet next spring, they'll bring more food and animals. Rinse and repeat until they decide that they want to eat your flesh.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:31:54 am »

Or if you got alot of time . Gen a world where a dorf civ is at war with the elves.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:51:26 am »

Or if you got alot of time . Gen a world where a dorf civ is at war with the elves.
I had that once, now I wish it was much more common (lots of !!FUN!! to be had with all the ambushes).

It gave me lots of lovely wood weapons for my vast fields of weapon traps, including bows and arrows.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:54:00 am »

Getting elves to declare war on you is much easier if you mod the elves to have diplomats again.  Then you can kill their diplomats, or agree not to cut down trees and then clear-cut the entire map.
I always try to have the map clear-cut and turned into beds and barrels within a year or two.
It doesn't always work,but oh well.

I had that once, now I wish it was much more common (lots of !!FUN!! to be had with all the ambushes).

It gave me lots of lovely wood weapons for my vast fields of weapon traps, including bows and arrows.
WOODEN weapons?
That is so un-dwarfy!
Kinda funny to imagine, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.