Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Your Stance on Danger Rooms  (Read 9005 times)

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Stance on Danger Rooms
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2011, 09:05:15 pm »

Smaller squads are what you want. It becomes kind of a pain remembering which squads you told to go where during battle, but it usually wont matter if theyre decently equipped.

I wanted to see how good danger rooms were so i made a small one and sent in my starter squad of 5. Each trap had 5 spears, and within 2 seasons i had several legendary fighters with high levels in everything else. I took them and made them militia captains and put 1 recruit under each of them. Nearly every squad was constantly sparring. After that, i rarely lost military.

Anyway, danger rooms are great.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2011, 10:45:12 pm »

Of course. If this game were totally 100% realistic, it would suck.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2011, 05:18:03 am »

I don't see what's wrong with danger rooms conceptually. I mean an automated ninja training room almost seems like a cliche.

If they're an exploit then how would such an exploit be fixed? I mean the fact is that when skills are used they train up. How are you going to fix that? Only thing I can think of is maybe limit the number of training spears to one per tile, or make the training spears more dangerous somehow so dwarves can't get attacked 10 times every 2 seconds with no chance of wounds.

So basically, if danger rooms are an exploit then someone should be able to suggest some way to fix the exploit. Get rid of retractable spikes?

Fixing the xp gain from regular training would make them redundant.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2011, 05:31:55 am »

It is a exploit. I don't use them, but to each their own.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2011, 05:44:24 am »

See, this is kind of a moot point considering DF is still in alpha and still has miles to go before the gameplay is properly balanced. Combat just isn't at the moment working like it should work no matter how you play the game.

That's why I don't get why people are so up-in-arms about "cheating" and "exploits" with DF. The game is barely half-way done, let alone balanced for difficulty. At this point being puristic is just plain silly, because there is no 'pure' version in existence.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 05:54:49 am »

I use them, and I'm going to keep on using them until weapon degradation is implemented and I have to replace every spear twice a season.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2011, 06:12:51 am »

I don't use them  for the same reason I don't use no-clip in single player FPSes. No satisfaction.

Plus, I love managing a squad so that half train, a quarter patrol/guard entrance, and a quarter take a break.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2011, 07:16:55 am »

I use them.

On the other hand, I don't use traps or drawbridges (both of which, IMO, are far more exploity than danger rooms), so a military is my only defense against everything from Macaques to Goblin Hordes to FBs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:22 am »

See, this is kind of a moot point considering DF is still in alpha and still has miles to go before the gameplay is properly balanced. Combat just isn't at the moment working like it should work no matter how you play the game.

That's why I don't get why people are so up-in-arms about "cheating" and "exploits" with DF. The game is barely half-way done, let alone balanced for difficulty. At this point being puristic is just plain silly, because there is no 'pure' version in existence.

Relax.  It is a singleplayer game, you can exploit it without being guilty.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:32 am »

Relax.  It is a singleplayer game, you can exploit it without being guilty.
FYI, the only thing I've changed is replacing all [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET] on the account of Dungeon Master being bugged.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:45 am »

I don't use danger rooms myself.  I imagine they would indeed be useful to train some raw recruits op to mook guard level semi-realistically, but after a point there doesn't seem to be much somebody should be able to learn about the same spikes always coming out of the same holes.  It's like being the world champion at whack a mole and then somehow becoming a legendary hammer user.

I admit I have my race set to gain weapon skills 10% faster than normal, but it's at the cost of a -25% to all crafting skills, to create some kind of balance to it.   Danger rooms don't seem to have much in the way of downsides but dead pets and babies.  Which many folks want gone anyway.

That said it's a singleplayer game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2011, 09:13:20 am »

I think I'll give this feature a whirl during my next fort.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2011, 10:11:11 am »

I'd never bothered with them before, I have a 10man squad that has managed to train themselves up to adept-legendary just fine without exploiting anything. My captain of the guard stormed ahead of them despite less time simply by hunting crundles though, he was legendary in no time and racked up over 100 crundle kills, all while keeping those job interrupts down.

I did test the danger room out on the captain of the guards after noticing his armour and shield skills were lagging behind though, I was amazed by how quick it went - not to mention his raw attributes are all ridiculously high. I can see why people use it, but i don't think I'll be doing it again - takes out half the fun, I think he's the only military dwarf I have that isn't missing a hand, arm or leg.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:11 am »

I've never used one before, but I am not against them, military training seems to be... buggy at best. If i'm going to truck with a military I'm going to use what works, as soon as they can train skills up on their own in less than a millennia, I'm game. until then, I'm ok with danger rooms.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2011, 10:40:21 am »

Use 'em, Love 'em, Never Military Without 'em.

Until the training rates for military endeavors are fixed, a danger room is installed in my fortress within the first five years. After all, I don't need a military if I'm willing to add a magma bath/obsidian farm/degrinchinator in my entrance hall, so how much more cheesy is training dwarves that can actually die instead of a trap that can't malfunction and only needs one lever to annihilate an entire siege?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11