Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damn those hippies  (Read 1573 times)

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn those hippies
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:36:47 am »

I just recently started new fortress and has almost finished my first year in it. This is my first fortress in couple of months and my fortress planning skills are quite rusty.
Elves just arrived at me with all their goods crap and as I hadn't done anything except obsidian shortswords and cut gems I tried to sell my swords as them. I forgot that swords need wood to be constructed and Elves got furious and called me a brute.
Elves got so scared of my brutality that they left without packing their goods.

Now my fortress is full of Elvish crap such as random clothing, wood and what not... also 1 Bonobo.
Guess i have to store all that stuff into darkest corners of my fortress and sell them back to elves if they dare to visit me next year

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn those hippies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:51 am »

Now my fortress is full of Elvish crap such as random clothing, wood and what not... also 1 Bonobo.
Guess i have to store all that stuff into darkest corners of my fortress and sell them back to elves if they dare to visit me next year
Yes, selling them back stolen wooden items and creatures in wooden cages is a sound idea.  :)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:07 am »

Oh right.... forgot that its all wood. well, i sell it to Humans then who should come see me in few months

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:45:05 am »

Keep the wood, you'll need it at one point. Cages and barrels are also useful (excepted for gnomeblight or golden salve extract).

However, you can sell the crap (rope reed ropes, -ashen piccolos-, etc.) to humans or dwarves for benefit.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:47 am »

Keep the wood, you'll need it at one point. Cages and barrels are also useful (excepted for gnomeblight or golden salve extract).

However, you can sell the crap (rope reed ropes, -ashen piccolos-, etc.) to humans or dwarves for benefit.
Or make it into fuel, for the mighty fires dedicated to the blood gods.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 10:08:17 am »

You cannot make charcoal out of wooden items. Unless you mod it to be so.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:32:35 pm »

And suddenly it's modding time.
くコ:彡

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:58 pm »

This is why you should be like me and always embark on a volcano, and build collapsable trade depot hanging over the middle. Saves lots of time on the cleanup after the seasonal trader murders. Of course, I usually just kill the human diplomats and traders while trading wood to the elves every year they come, just to provoke a larger number of attacks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:58:26 pm »

And suddenly it's modding time.

This would definitely be a cool and realistic mod.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:16:46 pm »

This is why you should be like me and always embark on a volcano

My fortress is right by gigantic volcano and i always embark on volcanoes ( because of magmaforges and stuff)
Never thought of building a Depot on top of it though. Besides, its pretty hard to build Depot on top of this volcano as it doesnt have any ramps going up there. there is like last 10Zlevels missing the ramps and its just Obsidian wall going straight up.

Though at the moment i saw my intresting "chimney full of magma" i had an idea. what if i sealed my fortress and left couple of miners outside, who would go up there and poke a few holes into that pipe. it would pretty much flood the whole world except those 2 mountain tops that are at the same level as volcano. I guess ill try that once my fortress is doomed

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »

Sew images into the clothing for increased value (cloth industry is my favorite :))). Use the wooden armor they bring (hey, it's better than leather). Continue robbing them or killing them from now on because they pose no serious threat and it's fun!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:35 pm »

(cloth industry is my favorite :)))

Are you an elf ?

If there is something undwarfy it's clothing. Well, unless it's leather or silk.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »

If you really don't want their stuff, deconstruct the depot and then dump the scattered items onto a single dump tile (just to keep it neat). Then, atom smash said tile; problem solved!
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 04:45:58 pm »

This is why you should be like me and always embark on a volcano

My fortress is right by gigantic volcano and i always embark on volcanoes ( because of magmaforges and stuff)
Never thought of building a Depot on top of it though. Besides, its pretty hard to build Depot on top of this volcano as it doesnt have any ramps going up there. there is like last 10Zlevels missing the ramps and its just Obsidian wall going straight up.
-snip-
Drill into it a few levels above the lava, build a support across the middle, build supports upward in a column, using constructed stairs as scaffolding, and then build a floor atop the support large enough to build a depot on, and then build a retracting bridge from the rim/from a higher point in the wall. Make sure there is a 3-wide ramp up to the bridge. Attach a lever to the supports, remove the stairs, and wait for sacrifices traders.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »

(cloth industry is my favorite :)))

Are you an elf ?

If there is something undwarfy it's clothing. Well, unless it's leather or silk.

It's much better for your FPS because there are fewer hauling jobs and you don't have to go mining every time you want more materials. Also, cloth can be very valuable if you account for the quality of the cloth, the quality of the dyeing, and the quality of the finished product, as well as the sewn image and it's components if it is applicable. And, as said before, it makes use of all that goblinite. Also also, cloth can be grown in unlimited quantities, and therefor requires less space in the long run.
Pages: [1] 2