Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Macro Misfire.  (Read 1242 times)

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Macro Misfire.
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:03:26 am »

I just made a macro to quickly reproduct a bedroom floor. When I tested it, I made an error and had my cursor in a wrong spot. I tried to cancel the macro using esc but it all went to hell.

The macro kept going in the esc menu, went in my bindings and went absolutely insane, quickly changing multiple keybindings too fast for my eyes to see. It ended up in the Sound options, and I can't exit it because ESC seems to have been binded to something else.

Is there a way I can see my current keybindings, or even change them while staying OUT of DF?

I don't exactly want to close DF because I haven't saved in a while.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Macro Misfire.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:06:27 am »

Ok, I've been wanting to ask this for a while, how do you make macros for DF? Is there a special menu?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:12:44 am »

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry... Without the Lazy Newb Pack's thing I don't know of a way. You can try downloading it if it is updated, but I don't know if it is or if you could apply it to a game you are running. Or maybe mash keys until you can save and get out without saving?

The wiki has a good set of instructions on how to make one.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Macro

Memento Mori

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:07:17 am »

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry... Without the Lazy Newb Pack's thing I don't know of a way. You can try downloading it if it is updated, but I don't know if it is or if you could apply it to a game you are running. Or maybe mash keys until you can save and get out without saving?

The wiki has a good set of instructions on how to make one.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Macro

I'm currently using LazyNewb pack. I tried changing hotkey sets but it didn't seem to work. The problem may be something else entirely, I am merely sharing my hypothesis.

I'll be off to bed now, and I'll leave DF running. Hopefully tomorrow morning someone will come up with a brilliant idea.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 06:36:24 am »

Re-download a clean copy of DF and save it to another folder. Open up the NEW copy and go to the data > init folder. Grab the interface.txt item and copy that to your OLD data > init folder.  That should reset all keybinds, but I have no idea what that will do to your macro.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:51 am »

This may be a shot in the dark, but when I try to close DF with the exit button on the top corner of the window, it brings up the ESC menu. Might be something to try.

Also, maybe we should suggest to Toady that pressing ESC during a macro should cancel it. There should certainly be a way to cancel running macros.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »

Ok, I've been wanting to ask this for a while, how do you make macros for DF? Is there a special menu?

Hit Ctrl-R, do some stuff, hit Ctrl-R again to stop recording.  Hit Ctrl-P to replay the macro.

(I mostly use it on the fly for trading, which is a lot of "hit enter, then down arrow, repeat 15 more times".)

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:00:46 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:07:10 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:11:54 pm »

Hit Ctrl-R, do some stuff, hit Ctrl-R again to stop recording.  Hit Ctrl-P to replay the macro.

(I mostly use it on the fly for trading, which is a lot of "hit enter, then down arrow, repeat 15 more times".)
Note that once you have a macro active, you can hit ctrl-s to save it. This will allow you to input a name for it. At any time, you can hit ctrl-l to load a saved macro. This frees you from having to remake a macro every time you open the game.

And yes, making macros really is that easy with the built-in macro system. Prior to its introduction, people had to do all sorts of complicated stuff with AutoHotKey and similar external programs if they wanted macros, but Toady had mercy on us  :D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:07:25 am »

I would recommend the utility QuickFort instead of macros. Quickfort is *much* better, and will let youi position the cursor on the tile where you want your design to start.

Quickfort is to macros what Dwarf Therapist is to unit management. It is just great.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 11:03:32 am »

I just made a macro to quickly reproduct a bedroom floor. When I tested it, I made an error and had my cursor in a wrong spot. I tried to cancel the macro using esc but it all went to hell.

The macro kept going in the esc menu, went in my bindings and went absolutely insane, quickly changing multiple keybindings too fast for my eyes to see. It ended up in the Sound options, and I can't exit it because ESC seems to have been binded to something else.

Is there a way I can see my current keybindings, or even change them while staying OUT of DF?

I don't exactly want to close DF because I haven't saved in a while.

You should probably delete your [NOBLE] tag.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:45:56 pm »

Note that once you have a macro active, you can hit ctrl-s to save it. This will allow you to input a name for it. At any time, you can hit ctrl-l to load a saved macro. This frees you from having to remake a macro every time you open the game.

And yes, making macros really is that easy with the built-in macro system. Prior to its introduction, people had to do all sorts of complicated stuff with AutoHotKey and similar external programs if they wanted macros, but Toady had mercy on us  :D
Well, more or less. :P

I should probably make it so hitting new keys aborts the macros though, shouldn't I? *sweatdrop*
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 08:22:52 pm »

\data\init\interface.txt contains the keybinds. To restore the default settings, I suggest you download a new copy of DF and replace your file with the one in the archive, as it's too long to post here.

EDIT: or grab it from http://pastebin.com/xJUJFcJj
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:26:07 pm by JaaSwb »
The fish are watching.