Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thank you, Toady  (Read 2495 times)

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thank you, Toady
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:37:36 am »

I was very surprised to see a few months ago the announcement of how much Toady was receiving in donations a month. Simply from donations this man makes more money than my entire impoverished family combined. I couldn't in my wildest dreams fathom giving what little money I have to this disgusting pile of wealth from what is a free game.

That is not to say I do not think developers of indy games like DF, which give everything to their gameplay in their free time not expecting much profit if any at all, are worthy of donations of happy supporters. I just thought "hey, this is a great game, but donation is not for me".

But... after seeing these donations roll out so quickly this week, I'm almost convinced to change my mind. There are great things in the future for this game and for you Toady. I wish you all the luck in the world in this endeavor - never change who you are or how your wonderful mind works.

I could say so much more, but for now: thanks Toady.

EDIT: I meant to say after seeing these updates roll out so quickly.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:41:00 pm by rojiru »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you, Toady
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:51 am »

If you have a family living on less than what he makes, you probably need it more than he does. He has no dependents AFAIK and while games are well and good in their place, family must come first.

That said, I'll heartily second the sentiment. Ave, rubeta!

Memento Mori

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:58:27 am »

I wish I knew Toady's birthday, cos I'd send him a present. (If I had enough money for an adamantine chair menacing with spikes of elf bone)
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Zanielyene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:53 am »

So let me get this straight. Your family is hopelessly poor to the point where the gross income is below even the poverty line for a single person, and you decide to donate money to the creator of your favorite game instead of improving the conditions of living for your impoverished family?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:03 am »

So let me get this straight. Your family is hopelessly poor to the point where the gross income is below even the poverty line for a single person, and you decide to donate money to the creator of your favorite game instead of improving the conditions of living for your impoverished family?
Poor people are usually poor for a reason. Sometimes that reason may be generosity.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:00 am »

But... after seeing these donations roll out so quickly this week, I'm almost convinced to change my mind. There are great things in the future for this game and for you Toady. I wish you all the luck in the world in this endeavor - never change who you are or how your wonderful mind works.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:12:50 am »

Poor people are usually poor for a reason. Sometimes that reason may be generosity.

Or in 99.9% of the cases, the reasons may be completely beyond their control.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 03:19:00 am »

Or in 99.9% of the cases, the reasons may be completely beyond their control.
I'd be interested in seeing a source for that statistic.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 03:22:28 am »

Well, when you say poor people are usually a poor for a reason, it implies it's their own choice. I'd like to see something back that up, since it's your assertion.  I doubt that the ~15% of Americans below the poverty lines, much less the millions of starving people the world over, are in that situation solely for making 'poor decisions'.

Of course, if you're just saying 'poor people are poor for a reason' as some sort of platitude, in the sense that everything happens for a reason, that's slightly different.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 03:41:27 am »

Well, when you say poor people are usually a poor for a reason, it implies it's their own choice.
It does not. Your inference was in error.

Of course, if you're just saying 'poor people are poor for a reason' as some sort of platitude, in the sense that everything happens for a reason, that's slightly different.
Presumably everything does indeed happen for a reason. Otherwise, why would it happen?

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:11 am »

Well, when you say poor people are usually a poor for a reason, it implies it's their own choice. I'd like to see something back that up, since it's your assertion.  I doubt that the ~15% of Americans below the poverty lines, much less the millions of starving people the world over, are in that situation solely for making 'poor decisions'.

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:39 am »

Well, when you say poor people are usually a poor for a reason, it implies it's their own choice.

Presumably everything does indeed happen for a reason. Otherwise, why would it happen?
Then why did I turn on the light even though it's bright enough to see unaided?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:52 am »

I am keeping that image.

Then why did I turn on the light even though it's bright enough to see unaided?

Because you would like to see in greater detail/because it's just bright enough to see unaided?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:07 am »

/

1: While it's possible someone may beggar themselves through generosity, the OP here almost certainly hasn't.

2: Well yes, that's what I was getting at: why point it out as you did?  A better, more salient thing to say would be "Poor people are always poor for a reason, and occasionally, once in a rare while, it's through their own choices.  The overwhelming majority of the time it has nothing to do with their choices and has everything to do with situations outside their control."  But that's such a blatant truth I don't see why it needs to be said.  I'm basically trying to figure out what the point of saying "poor people are poor for a reason" is, and why it should be construed as anything other than a Ayn Rand styled 'FYGM' statement.  If I'm missing something, please explain.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:57:49 am »

OMG, I'm so upset now that I never thought of that when I was in school. 

Actually, I kinda did once.  Broke off in mid-sentence of a biology essay exam answer in high school to explain the process of plate subduction, then resumed the sentence where I left off.  I was bored.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.
Pages: [1] 2