Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: embark with a cave ... with no cave?  (Read 1114 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
embark with a cave ... with no cave?
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:06:22 am »

So, an embark site (4x4 in this case) that includes a cave doesn't always include an actual cave?

As soon as the map loaded I got the message that "You have located Statoana Slodsesermok (Brushedhole the Searing Intracasies) a cave".  On the northern part of the map is some trees, and scattered through them are five wooden items (two crowns, a wand, an amulet, and a ring).  There is no sign of a cave, nor the mound that the wiki says might be there, and the only thing on the units list besides what I brought with me are four hoary marmots.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: embark with a cave ... with no cave?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:09:21 am »

On the level below?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:20:27 am »

Nope.  No sign of any enclosed space.  I moved around the map flipping between Z+1 and Z+2 looking for floor/roof over something that qualifies.

With my luck its something big and nasty that lives outdoors where the loot is, and is currently out destroying a civilization and will be returning about the time the first caravan gets here. ;)
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26:14 am »

it could be a hole in the ground like some night creature dens. go to z-1 and look for a ramp
LOSING IS FUN!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:29:45 am »

Just double checked -- no ramp in the middle of open spaces.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:22:29 am »

Look at the sides of cliffs, check if ya see any doors or something.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:50:18 am »

I'd try DFreveal to check if the worldgen has screwed up something - I've embarked on volcanoes that are not there with the underground being completely messed up.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

hagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:43 pm »

My current fortress showed a cave on the embark screen, but there was no above-ground cave. The entire above ground area was covered in naked mole dogs, troglodytes, elk birds, blind cave bears, and large rats...many of them named. Incoming migrants and traders must make it down a mountain and across a field full of cave denizens, before they are allowed in.

There is an aquifer, but the the height and drainage x-y variances are set at max, so luckily they found a patch of marble that goes down through it. Down in the second set
of caves, there is an adamantine column (found year one before the traders even showed up) and at least two magma pipes.

A blob made of flame is wandering the upper caves, setting everything ablaze, but for the most part we are safe (unless I missed something...).

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:57:22 pm »

I've also embarked on caves in the past that weren't actual caves. Mostly they're just an open area in a field that a bunch of giants or something lived in at one time.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

After embarking in two cave zones and suffering annoying FPS problems and endless  "can't find path" spam I finally decided that embarking on sites with caves is a bad idea. Some of my problem may be that I turned the size of caves way up in the worldgen params, but in any case it seems like there are some real pathing issues with large caves that just aren't worth dealing with.

I mean, when I blocked the dwarves off from the cave the FPS doubled.

So if you have a fake invisible cave dug in the air above ground then consider yourself lucky....