Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Succession fort  (Read 7452 times)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession fort
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2011, 02:40:26 pm »

Well seems like i'll give it another day, if not next person is up

So... my turn? Where's the current save?
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2011, 03:43:23 pm »

So... my turn? Where's the current save?
It's in my last update post on page 3.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »

Got it, starting now.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »

Diary of Iggy McNatz  2nd Granite 252.

I was in my shop today, making a lovely door, when the current overseer wandered in. This, of course, is hardly an uncommon occurrence, he's always poking his nose in where it doesn't belong. He carried with him a sheaf of papers, more work orders I supposed, yet to my shock, dismay, and horror he dropped the papers on my workbench and said "Congratulations! You're in charge now!"

Crap.

I sat down on a chert throne I'd carved earlier, and began to work through the pile of papers. I quickly realized the paperwork for the fort was in complete disarray. Due mostly to the fact that we, at present have no bookkeeper.

Issues:
1) Need a bookkeeper.

I then perused the current work orders... there were none. Of the fifty or so stout souls in the fortress over a quarter were sitting idle.

Issues:
1) Need a bookkeeper.
2) Get people working.

I then decided to take a walk, leaving the papers sitting on my workbench. As I strolled through the fortress I noticed most of our military sitting around.... just... sitting.

Issues:
1) Need a bookkeeper.
2) Get people working.
3) Get the military training.

As it stands we have a single squad of seven dwarves, with minimal equipment. I'll need to find the barracks, and see to it that they are properly supplied in beds, armor racks, and weapon racks, all made of stone of course.

I found the barracks... it's a single weapon rack next to the carpenters workshop...

Lovely.

I then reviewed our pasture land, and animals. While we have a large number of animals little has been done to attend to their needs and most still languish in cages, I will have to have some slaughtered, and the rest put out to pasture.

Issues:
1) Need a bookkeeper.
2) Get people working.
3) Fix the barracks
4) Get the military training.
5) Fix the pasture problem

A great dwarf once said, it is from their foes that cities learn to build high walls. We have no walls, and are protected by a forest of stone fall traps. Waste of good mechanisms, they could be cage traps and be ten-fold more effective.

Issues:
1) Need a bookkeeper.
2) Get people working.
3) Fix the barracks
6) Fix the gatehouse

Well, I have my list of issues, I'm leaving the projects of previous overseers alone, there is enough mundane work to do without adding my mark of "greatness" to this fort.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2011, 05:44:33 pm »

Journal of Iggy McNatz, Overseer 20th Granite 252

Issues:
1) Need a bookkeeper.
2) Get people working.
3) Fix the barracks
6) Fix the gatehouse

I appointed Zas, the manager, to be bookkeeper, mostly because he already had an office and nobody had any organizational skills anyway. Check one thing off my list.

I built a kennels, and set our resident animal trained to domesticating the four caged camels, three female, one male. With luck they will provide a source of meat, and wool, in the not too distant future. They are now pastured out front of the fortress.

I have broken up our military into squads of three, and set them to training in the old barracks while the new barracks is being built. I hope they will train more efficiently. They still lack weapons, and armor, but it's a start.

I have also begun to widen the gatehouse, as well as investigate why there are a number of extra entrances into the fort. These will eventually be walled off.

I simply cannot make heads, nor tails, of some of this fortress, the construction of defenses continues, though I'm only able to devote half my attention at best. I pray we don't see a siege in the near future for we are ill prepared for anything more violent then an enraged camel.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »

*hastily scribbled*

Journal of Iggy McNatz 21st Granite

Alaric has gone fey and taken over a craftshop on the first level of the fort, I only pray we can get him what he needs before he goes mad.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2011, 06:06:02 pm »

Journal of IggyMcNatz, Overseer, 28th Granite

After eight days of frantic work Alaric produces:

Not... quite... what I was hoping for. Oh well.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2011, 06:19:42 pm »

Journal of IggyMcNatz, Overseer, 4th Slate 252

Issues:
1) Need a bookkeeper.
2) Get people working.

3) Fix the barracks
6) Fix the gatehouse
7) Metal Industry

I learned today that the reason my smiths stand idle is that they have nowhere to smith anything. Despite having located magma, no forges were ever constructed. While the walk to the magma sea is a long one, I walked it today, I cannot have idle smiths. I have commissioned a number of smelters, and forges to be built, as well as metal bar and economic stone and ore stockpiles created.

The barracks is still under construction, yet progressing nicely.

Our sentries are calling, we have migrants... good.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2011, 06:24:09 pm »

Journal of IggyMcNatz, Overseer, 5th Slate 252

Twenty migrants, two Miners, an Engraver, a Smith, Clothier, Glassmaker, Beekeeper, Tanner, Suturer, Diagnoser a Peasant... bodies, and animals... so many animals!

I assigned them all to their labors, and made the peasant a mason, once he has some skill we will add him to the regular military.

I don't know where all these people are going to sleep, we now number 69 men, woman and children.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:29:34 pm by ignatzami »

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »

Out of Character....

I know every overseer, of every fort, must say the same thing.... this fort is a disaster! Succession forts are the "too many cooks" of Dwarf Fortress. There's no real organization, lose stone is everywhere, there's no metal industry, no real military, no defenses to speak of.... I'm just flabbergasted. The only savior so far is we haven't produced enough wealth to attract attention.

I hope to have things better organized for the next overseer, but woof, what a state.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:38 pm »

Journal of Iggy McNatz, Overseer, 12th Felsite.

Elves, they came over the hilltop today. I've decided to offload onto them as many of the trinkets, baubles, and what-nots that clutter this fortress as I can. In exchange I need food, seeds for outdoor farming, alcohol, wood, and if they have any animals of interest, or cages. It's a long list, let's hope we have enough baubles.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »

Out of Character...

Anyone have a suggestion for dealing with Fire Imps?

We have one that came out of the magma pipe and I'm not 100% sure how to get rid of it. Can you cage them in wood cages?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:28 am »

You... didn't decide to euthanise the elves, huh? I guess the elven holocaust will have to wait until we get things up to speed.

As for the fire imp, wooden cages might be set on fire when trapping fire imps. I suggest using metal cages. Or weapon traps.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:18 am »

You... didn't decide to euthanise the elves, huh? I guess the elven holocaust will have to wait until we get things up to speed.

As for the fire imp, wooden cages might be set on fire when trapping fire imps. I suggest using metal cages. Or weapon traps.

Truth be told, I got distracted by the imp, my frame rate is fairly low so I'm not making quick progress. I was hoping to get rid of some of the 100+ rock crafts we currently have.

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:19 pm »

Don't die on me you must LIVEEEEEE
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6