Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Succession fort  (Read 7463 times)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession fort
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 12:43:12 pm »

Images seem fine. Charred_gp and ignatzami can go ahead of me. I just want turn five.

Ok, is the save uploaded somewhere?
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 02:42:19 pm »

Sorry for the delay, but life got in the way. I will, however, have time to complete autumn tomorrow and winter the following day. So next update will be up around 5-6 pm GMT tomorrow.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 06:37:36 pm »

Sorry for the delay, but life got in the way. I will, however, have time to complete autumn tomorrow and winter the following day. So next update will be up around 5-6 pm GMT tomorrow.

DAMN you life  >:( , always getting in the way!!!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »

I will sign up!

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 09:23:15 pm »

I will sign up!

AND WE HAVE ANOTHER IDIOT FRIEND FOR THE SLAUGHTER PARTY!!!!!!!!! would you like to be dwarfed????

(on a side note i just got finished with an interview for a job and it went pretty well, so maybe i'll be employed after being out of work for 6 months.....F*** you recession, so i'm pretty excited today)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:26:04 pm by Kona »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 10:26:33 pm »

I was under the assumption we name a dwarf after ourselves after we have ruled.

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 12:05:36 am »

you can, but if you want one before hand so it can develop along with the other updates i personally prefer it cause it keeps it entertaining

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 11:27:37 am »

Okay. Give me any random mechanic.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 11:47:11 am »

Interlude
One can feel the cool autumn wind come in through the front cave opening to Wallriddle, blowing through the twisted corridors, carrying with them the putrid odour of rotten corpses in the refuse stockpile and the foul stench of dwarven sweat as the compatriots of this hamlet in the middle of nowhere haul the loads of plump helmets, beers and furniture to their new destinations. The dark, confusing corridors are littered with beings of flesh running around, some unclean, greasy and hairy plantograde bipeds lacking backbone, others digitigrade monsters of fur leeching off the imperative supplies. The sounds of their growling, moaning and grunting echo into the last bastion of sanity – the last bastion of intelligence, of endurance and of madness.

The bastion is a gloomy space, cluttered with insignificancies made of stone. Some of them have retained their shape over the last days, others have lost a few pieces here and there, but most of them are smashed up into little pebbles. In the bastion, a large open plaza-like structure surrounded by three vital benches exists, full of things most people would throw away. But here in Wallriddle, nothing gets thrown away. They are traded, handed over for other more important necessities, and then they are created again thusly restarting the endless cycle of industrial production.

One of these benches is different. Its top surface isn’t covered in hacked and chiselled stone, those are on the floor near the wall and mostly ruined from past events of rage, rampage and insanity. No, this bench has several pieces of organic material that has been shredded, soaked and pressed into predominantly reusable and inscribable leaves. These leaves are full of notes, but over time, the ink that once stood out in an orderly manner is now disfigured, spread out and illegible due to the moist air coming in from the hallways.

A more recent note, however, is covered by a bulky and sleepy figure, a creature of short stature with a bloodied face and fond of concentrated ethanol. The note lies on the dirty ground along with the figure, a large empty pot of stone and a few empty barrels. Its message, should the creature ever move, is simple.

OOC: I'm just finishing up on the journal covering Autumn but decided to post this short interlude to keep it separate from the actual journal.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:15:12 pm by da_nang »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 01:04:23 pm »

Journal of Seraphin, the Stonecrafter
Wallriddle, 251

1st Limestone
A new empire, a new land, a new leader shall be born here – a place without elves, without nobles and without idiots. This is Wallriddle. This is where we’ll either rise or fall. The EEP must therefore succeed. If only those fools could finish the Survivor’s Folly, then I can finally rest easily. But no, the fools are morons. All they ever do is complain, cry for more stupid cages. I’ve given them what they want; work, food, drinks and freaking cages. All I ask in return is the completion of backbreaking labour. Labour designed to turn weak, idiotic and frightened babies into strong, cunning and ferocious murder-machines. Instead I get more yelling, more complaining and more requests for more cages. The noise is unbearable. My only hope is to drink myself stupendously drunk and bash my head into the wall to get some sleep, make myself black out. Armok, help me.

5th Limestone
Well, progress is still slow on SF, so I’m devoting myself to sketching out a new area for the metal industry deep in the mineshaft. In fact, I might just move my office down there too. It’s warm, and deep enough that the incessant yelling might not reach me, or at least be nearly inaudible. The only downside is that the miners are going to make a racket while digging the area out. Even the metal industry will make a continuous hell in my life. So perhaps I won’t. Maybe it’s best that I do stay up here near the surface where I can oversee the construction of SF, which is something I should really be paying attention to, as well.

Our engraver Idiot McIdiot decided to defy the laws of physics and somehow managed to end up on top of the walls of SF, subsequently ending up stuck. I’ll keep him up there, though. The dwarves need to learn a lesson, even if it means only one at a time will learn.

7th Limestone
In order to relieve some of the burden I’m carrying, I’m appointing the previously useless siege operator immigrant to the more useful position of manager. Congratulations. I’ll have the engraver work on smoothing out your room and filling it with appropriate furniture. If you’re lucky, you might even get a self-controlled shower, too. Your first assignment is to order the production of all the wooden pump components for the EEP’s pumping tower. If they ask for cages, use any means necessary to keep them away from me. And remember, I come to you, you don’t come to me. Is that clear?

11th Limestone
I was hoping to smuggle some useless idiots onto the human garbage caravan to make myself a bit saner, but now it seems they have managed to scuttle off away from the fort yesterday before I had chance to do it! This month just gets better and better as well as more sleep-deprived than ever.
In other news, we’ve got another puppy – a puppy which happens to be male. I know exactly what to do with it.

22nd Limestone
Well darn. We’re falling behind schedule on EEP as the carpenters can only work on one component at a time due to there being only one workshop. I can only hope that one more workshop can get us back on track. I’m also reorganising the pastures to make them more efficient and animals less likely to go completely postal on one another.

4th Sandstone
Right, so first of all, I received word of an incoming migrant caravan a few hours ago and just now have finished assigning them to useful work here. No conscriptions this time, just jobs and butchering. They’ve brought with them an unusually large animal herd in relation to the number of migrants. Anyways, that problem has been dealt with. Now I’m just trying to figure out what to do with the problem with the adamantine veins. It seems that the last accident in attempting to uncover the lateral bounds of the vein happened at the very top of the vein as the miners are unable to find a good accessible path to the vein’s exterior one floor above. So we have three choices; either we dig into the vein from above, hope to find a better place below the accident site or go for the other vein completely.

6th Sandstone
One of the recent migrants has some valuable skills in carving bones, so the miners will be busy today digging out a bone stockpile. Maybe we can carve the bones of elves to show the tree-huggers the lengths we’re willing to go to dominate. Now that’s an idea.

10th Sandstone
The Survivor’s Folly is finished, finally. They sure have taken their damn time building. Time to go test it out on that yak! And in the meantime, the idiots will be setting up a place for the leatherworker. Start making some nice crap out of the craploads of crap leather, young chap. We’ll need it to get precious metals and other resources.

13th Sandstone
Well it turned out the yak was already dead before I even began testing the SF. So a proper test will happen first next year. Darn. Oh well, at least now I’ll take my rage out on the miners, have them further speed up the production orders of the pump components by digging a new wood stockpile. Hustle the chore, hustle it even more, and hustle it till we can’t hustle it anymore!

21st Sandstone
This will be quick as I have to oversee the EEP. The first pump in the pumping tower has been designed and is awaiting construction. Furthermore, the power lines that will be powering the pumps have had their required proper space designated for digging. Now, to make sure these idiots won’t wall themselves in, or something. Also, due to a surplus of idlers, I’ve had the lazy morons to sprint outside and grab some of the wood and other resources the elves brought with them.

12th Timber

Our legendary, uncanny and only miner McStupid decided to get a bit too overconfident in his abilities and got himself stuck on a ledge in the pumping tower. Since he’s pretty much the only miner we’ve got, I’m initiating a rescue operation to save his sorry and moronic behind.
I’ve also designated the wards to be smoothed out as these dwarves apparently can’t handle the uneven rock floor anymore, or so they yell to me.

16th Timber
With a dwarven caravan in sight, the inhabitants are to carry all of the crafts and some of the plants as well to the primary trade depot. We simple have too many plump helmets for a fort this small, due to the plump helmet galore known as the oversized farm. Hopefully, they have wood and economic stones with them. We’ll need them to fully develop our metal industry.

18th Timber
Yesterday, while I was having a fine drink and meat meal in the dining hall, I saw one of the children wander off. This was odd as the children tend to stay in the meeting area. So I intended to follow this one to see what he was up to. Unfortunately, I lost track of him and couldn’t find him until one of the stonecrafters angrily bumped into me, nearly giving me a concussion as my head bounced off the rock wall. It turned out the stonecrafter had been kicked out of the workshop by this one puny child, who was busy working on some sort of secret project. The following day, I looked up who he was – a mere two-year-old kid. Now that I think of it, he might be some sort of prodigy, or he’s under some divine influence. A true dwarf, perhaps?

25th Timber

I’ve got word that the prodigy has finished his mysterious construction. “Dwindlescrapes the Pattern of Dimples” he calls it.

It’s truly a dwarven work of art, no doubt about it. So I then decide to look further into this prodigy, into his lineage. Maybe he’s a descendant to some famous, ancient dwarf? If true, then there would still be hope in this fort. However, once I’ve looked deep enough, I come to a startling realization that will make me question my fundamental worldview. This dwarf, this prodigy, is unnatural. I’ve never seen this as a possibility without divine aid, or defiance of the laws of physics. It sure does, however, say quite a lot of what I know of dwarven physiology and biology. But a dwarven child who came to be without a mother either means he’s the offspring of the divine or his father is an imposter.

1st Moonstone
With winter here, I sure do miss the old days with snow all over the place. Now I’m stuck here, in this hot desolate place, with these imbeciles in a paltry attempt to bring this hamlet to glory. I miss home. But that’s the past. I must be strong ahead. I must be an image to these mindless husks of flesh. I must show them what it means to be a true dwarf, even if it kills me.

OOC: Yeah, Autumn was less eventful than summer. Also, less image-heavy and more text-ish.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:08:38 pm by da_nang »

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 02:18:32 pm »

awesome update

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:00 pm »

ok, ping charred and let's keep this party rolling. Also, did you make a note of how EEP is supposed to work?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »

All the levers I install will have notes, yes.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 04:06:46 pm »

All the levers I install will have notes, yes.

Good man!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 12:53:08 pm »

Journal of Seraphin, the Stonecrafter
Wallriddle, 251

1st Moonstone
This month’s Moonstone. If only Wallriddle could resemble the stereotypical climate that’s normal in Moonstone at home. Maybe then I could throw out some jerk into the cold and freeze them to death. Instead, the gods hate me and have decided to throw me into this literal hell. My eyes twitch at the word “cage”. At least the idiots have quieted down with their insane need of bars intertwined in a rectangular pattern. Not that it helps, anyway. I haven’t had a good night of sleep for months. And by sleep, I don’t mean induced unconsciousness by slamming my head into the nearest wall. There’s simply no way of falling asleep under normal circumstances in this godforsaken place apart from going on a murderous rampage. It’s either that or sending all the undwarven dwarves into the EEP. If they could ever finish it, that is.
I’ve been working on it for nearly a whole year and yet only a single damn pump has been built for it. It’s time to hasten the entire construction. I won’t even have time to manage the entire fort if I have to supervise all the idiots to keep them from walling themselves in or – Armok forbid – cause a cave-in. So I call up two messengers, mechanic darkrider2 and wrestler Alaric to deliver two simple orders: Firstly, the second pump must be built ASAP in the pumping tower with some rebuilding of the interior. Secondly, the miner McIdiot is going to have to haul ass and dig out the freaking area for the metal industry.

9th Moonstone
Head’s pounding more than ever. The digging process is taking much too slow. Mostly because miner McIdiot keep running up from the mine after having dug one section of the wall and yells into my ears that he has discovered some warm stone – over and over again. There’s no rest for me. I’ll drop several Urists in weight just by running back down into the mineshaft to give McIdiot a spanking every single time, and then back up again, out through the entrance and down into the pumping tower. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. So to attempt to get back on schedule I’m having the mechanics run across the field, grabbing mechanisms to install some mechanical gears for the power supply lines. Even the architect and carpenters will be busy setting up the windmills that will power this hopefully wondrous creation of dwarfkind.

11th Moonstone
Before I forgot about it, I had the broker do some trading with the merchants. I’ve now heard that he managed to get all of our junk and overabundant plump helmets sold for some more desirable things such as wood, minerals and barrels and so on for a net trade value of 38 911 bucks. Then, to my dismay, rage and wrath, the liaison decides to wake me up from a once-in-a-blue-moon event of me actually falling asleep. Bastard. I quickly negotiate with him at axepoint that we’ll have minerals, wood and fuel from them next year, at which point he tells me they don’t have ANY lignite or bituminous coal. Freaking fantastic. In return he gives me his demands for us to export.

I accept and quickly throw him out of my sight, stating that we make our own future here, not some interfering noble on his high horse.

17th Moonstone
Armok take thee who put us here against our will! Thee who put us in a land with no high speed winds of any kind! Look at what we’ve got now. Windmills incapable of transmitting power since the fan blades aren’t moving! There’s no wind at all. This sucks. Being the prepared being I am, however, I’ve brought with me my father’s “Book of Power”. Since we have water in the caverns, I’ve designated an area near the fishing pier of terror to be dug out for a dual water reactor. Of course, we only have one miner and only one pick, so miner McIdiot is off running up the stairs again.
This also means that more space for the power lines will be needed. I could’ve tried to put the reactor close to the lowest pump but I’m unsure on the power transfer between the pumps there. The pumping tower’s designed to send power downwards through pumps in series. To my understanding, the power transfer’s one-way. So the power lines are to go up to the surface and connect to the top pump. The book doesn’t mention it but I’m fairly certain that this is the closest we’ll get to an efficient power supply.

28th Moonstone
So the merchants left a week ago with smiles on their faces hauling our crap. And sure, we also tried to crack a smile, but that’s undwarven. It’s also undwarven to have fear in one’s face. Once we open the door to the fishing pier of terror, the fisherman decides to rush down and attempt to fish in the supposedly empty lake. I assume he’s going to come back up empty-handed, which he does but he also yells that he has seen some sort of monster down there. I send Alaric to check it out and he tells me the lake’s full of pond grabbers. This is just great. First we have a giant toad down there and now there are bogeymen of the water. We’re going to need some defences down there, that’s for sure.

15th Opal
Work goes on, so slowly – so slow in fact that I’ve begun to question whether these dwarves are elves in disguise attempting to sabotage my work. The very thought sickens me. I need to look for information leaks. I can’t let the elven people know of my scheme. But that will have to be some other day as more and more animals are dying from the lack of food. Tired of hearing this all the time, I’ve ordered all animals that need to graze to be slaughtered, their bones carved and their skins tanned and worked into armor – their skulls into totems. We’ll be feasting on cattle flesh the next few days. I hope it’ll last longer but knowing these dwarves I’ve learned that it’s very hard to sate their hunger.

17th Opal
As if we didn’t have enough mouths to feed, now we have one more. One of the butchers decided to give birth to a girl in the pumping tower. I hope she cleans up after her. I may be blunt in details but I won’t have her body fluids cover the interior nor exterior of my creations.

20th Opal
So now we’ve got two problems. First of all, miner McIdiot is being quite indecisive today and has been running between the pumping tower and mineshaft, digging out one patch of dirt or stone in one and running back to the other to do the same. And this has been going on for Armok knows how long. We’re already falling so far behind schedule so fast that I can shoot a bolt at it from point blank and it still won’t hit it. Secondly, the interior of the pumping tower’s going to need some doors. This means I’ll have to reassign people from building there to sloppily crafting doors.

17th Obsidian
Seeing as we have a surplus of food, booze and stone pots, I wonder if I can use plump helmets or the pots to transfer power in the pumping tower because we certainly don’t have enough wood for it! Now we have to wait for the elves to die dry again before we can finish EEP. Blast! Why must my life hate me? WHY!?

18th Obsidian
Whoever thought it was a good idea to give me newborn kittens to cheer me up was clearly mistaken. Not only did they drop their litter all over my office, but I also didn’t fall for their mesmerizing gaze. So now I’ve given them as a birthday present to the butcher. May he take good care of those beasts from hell. Of course having to walk to the butcher has forced me to smell an awful stench coming from the barracks. I nearly vomit when I open the door. Some of the morons have left fouled, rotten food. Some of it is also in their beds. The sheer unintelligence echoes throughout this haunted fort.

1st Granite
This is an outrage! While I attempt to have a good breakfast meal some bloke throws a piece of paper on me, demanding that I step down from power. Who the blazing hell does he think he is? I order the guard to cut him down like the insane and insubordinate fool he is, but they do nothing. What? Excuse me, I’m your leader! You’ll do as you’re told. Up comes Tree McTraitor and tells me that I’m only given the power of rule for one year. After that I have to appoint one successor, or they’ll have my head. Yak bull! I never agreed to that! Clearly this is a mistake from their part. But lo and behold, the bloke shoves the contract that I had signed a year ago in my face. On the back of the contract, written in a miniscule font with invisible ink, there stood the fine print. Now that I see it, the guard grabs my arms and holds me against the wall, at which I out of reflex point at some random dwarf and calls him my successor. Fine, he’ll do. I don’t know his name, but hopefully I won’t need to. As I step down from power, I just know this fort is doomed for failure. Time to for a plan to get the hell out of Wallriddle, I suppose. I’ll most likely never get to see the EEP come to fruition, the water reactors turn their wheels, the fully fletched metal industry crank out bars by the dozen nor see the wards smoothed out. Thanks a lot, guys. I hope you enjoy it while it lasts. I’m getting out of here with spring in front of me.

OOC: So there you have it. 20 pages worth of journal-formatted text in Word and a good time. Wish you guys luck. You'll need it.
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4147
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:15:17 pm by da_nang »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6