Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifact Lead Mace or Exceptional Silver Hammer?  (Read 4223 times)

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Lead Mace or Exceptional Silver Hammer?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 05:58:53 am »

Ah yes, I have fond memories of that mace  :D    Not too shure of the combat system yet. Hopefully Toady gets to the numbers soon.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:53 am »

I'd be surprised if the Mace wasn't better, since by the numbers it should ONLY be better.

It's somewhat unclear to me why Hammers>Maces (as is often said, and I believe has been proven by dwarven science), since they do have twice the contact area but also twice the weight, which should balance out, or even be better since in theory it would wound a larger area with equal force.

But yeah, lead is denser, artifact is better. I'd put my money on the mace.
Has this been re-investigated now that dorfs use targetted attacks? The problem with maces used to be that they would quite quickly incapacitate an enemy through broken major limbs or unconsciousness, but then the wielder would spend turn after turn wailing ineffectually on the downed opponent, turning arms and legs to bags of splinters, but not delivering the coup-de-grace.

And during that time, they would be killed by another opponent.  So it used to be about the numbers - a squad larger than the enemy force would win easily, and a squad smaller would lose easily.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 07:33:51 am »

Targeted attacks go for the head when the goblin/elf/kobold/other falls unconcious.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »

Has this been re-investigated now that dorfs use targetted attacks? The problem with maces used to be that they would quite quickly incapacitate an enemy through broken major limbs or unconsciousness, but then the wielder would spend turn after turn wailing ineffectually on the downed opponent, turning arms and legs to bags of splinters, but not delivering the coup-de-grace.

And during that time, they would be killed by another opponent.  So it used to be about the numbers - a squad larger than the enemy force would win easily, and a squad smaller would lose easily.

Relative merits seem unchanged, hammers still being ahead against armoured opponents and maces against unarmoured ones.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »

I'd let someone use it. Hell, I let someone use an artifact lay pewter mail shirt (though my lack of armor making materials had something to do with that).

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 04:54:46 pm »

Lastly, according to the wiki post above, you're going to hit 50% more often with the artifact--not 50% harder. I could have sworn it wasn't always like this, but I can't remember now.

In the old days before the current wound system and sophisticated material attributes were added to the game, simply being an artifact would make any weapon do lots of damage.  You could have a dog bone short sword and it would cleave through solid iron.  This is no longer the cast; artifacts are more valuable (and have the hit bonus) but they still respect material calcs afaik

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 05:01:56 pm »

i'd surely take the mace!
After all, even if it's weaker, it's an artifact lead mace, like the one in adom, it's rare and precious and it surely has some spikes isn't it? Just think of the possibilities!

Big Punch? Gosh... a dwarf having to haul 800 stone of that weapon couldn't catch up to the goblin.

Anyway, the mace is one hell of a good weapon. It's made of lead, which is denser than silver, it's an artifact, it still has only twice as much contact area as a hammer.

But you can't make a training mace...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 06:51:53 pm »

Hey, I cleared D:50 with Big Punch.  :P I'd probably go with the mace for pure awesome, but that's just me.
Memento Mori

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 09:11:36 pm »

A mace to the face has a nice ring to it. Especially if that ringing noise is some goblin's helmet as you beat on it repeatedly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 12:33:39 am »

Take two recruits with zero weapon skills (other combat skills optional), and deck them out in masterwork steel/cotton candy armor, steel shield, the works.  Give each one one of these two weapons.  Put them in their own squad, and have them on 12/12 months training (or danger room, if that is your thing).  After they have sufficiently trained (Adept or better weapon skill), send them off as their own squad.  Or add more recruits to their squad, and give them some cannon fodder so they can go around getting the death blows.

Alternately, give the lead mace to your captain of the guard and remove any jail.  Hardmode mandate filling.
Pages: 1 [2]