Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Diplomat Visitor... Zebra brute diplomat  (Read 1490 times)

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Diplomat Visitor... Zebra brute diplomat
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:22:21 pm »

I got a message that...

A zebra brute diplomate from Anthath Dosla has arrived.

At first I thought, "so what, big deal, another diplomat." However, a "zebra brute"?  Oddly, the icon for the character looked very similar to the icon of a demon, so I "viewed" this odd character ... his description said:

A towering zebra twisted into humaniod form with external ribs. It spouts gibberish periodically. Its pale blue hair is long and straight. Beware it's file. He is incredibly muscular.

Sounds pretty scary, right? However, I didn't get a titan, or forgotten beast "warning" ... so, I decided to play is safe and go on the defensive. I moved my dwarves inside the fortress, and moved my troops near the entrance. The Zebra brute strolled right into my fortress (going THROUGH a murky pool along the way). Oddly, my troops didn't act like anything was wrong. So, I watched as the brute went right to my mayor, and started following him around. I guess I can only hope that the meeting goes well.

Is this a glitch? Or are new civilizations starting to appear?  :)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Diplomat Visitor... Zebra brute diplomat
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:24:22 pm »

A demon escaped from hell and enslaved a human civilization. In this case, it became its diplomat.

Its incredibly rare, but its not the first case reported here in the forum.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:24:37 pm »

Forgotten beast diplomats did happen before, I am not sure if that was fixed or if it was intended.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:27:09 pm »

"Urist McMayor, I'm going to make you a deal you can't refuse..."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:52:51 pm »

This demon didn't *enslave* the human civilization.  He just walked over to them and convinced them that he was one of them and should be in charge. Dimwitted at those pesky humans tend to be, they then probably elected him or something.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

bp1986

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:58:27 pm »

Had a demon diplomat here before (a few versions back, at least). He showed up and was ignored by the traps and the civies, but starting smashing up shops, doors, beds, EVERYTHING. I managed to wall him into a bed chamber and left him there while I rebuilt. Was a quite annoying glitch.

(I say glitch because he was 'attacking' me, but I couldn't attack him back with military force.)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »

I once found a demon imprisoned in a human fortress, I helped him escape and he joined me as companion. Fought quite well. When my character was killed by a stray bolt, another adventurer met the demon in the wilderness. Very eerie experience - the demon just passed by. Maybe an omen.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:59:55 pm »

I had a demon diplomat in 0.31.19 iirc. I was very disappointed that his noxious secretions did not destroy my fort or even do any apparent harm to anything.
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 07:08:18 pm »

I had a demon diplomat in 0.31.19 iirc. I was very disappointed that his noxious secretions did not destroy my fort or even do any apparent harm to anything.
YOU are lucky. I had one like that a few versions previously and his noxious secretions killed everything.
Why is this covered in blood?

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:08 pm »

I had a demon diplomat come to an old fort from the humans, and he toppled some random workshops and stuff, but that bug was fixed in .13.

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 08:48:32 pm »

Well, this is the latest version (just downloaded it this morning). He's been just hanging around my mayor. Causing no problems (yet)...

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:51:04 pm »

Yeah, there's a post about this sort of thing once a week or so. Tell us how it turns out.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 09:40:53 pm »

If you have a diplomat you want to get to leave in a hurry - because he's smashing furniture or giving off clouds of death extract or something - you can try reassigning your mayor manually.  If he was trying to meet your mayor, he'll leave the map unhappy.  If he was trying to meet your Baron, this won't work.

Either way, you'll only see him once.  Because of a bug civilization position holders lose their position when they leave your map, so a new diplomat will be chosen at random next year.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.