Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Military command and report  (Read 4331 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Military command and report
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »

1. I believe gypsum is a layer stone, so it would be found in large amounts. I ususally find it nearer the surface, but I don't usually have any major digging below the first ten of so layers. If you want it exclusively for medical purposes, be aware that splints can be used to fix all injuries that casts can.

2. [q] over the claimed workshop. You will see somethink like "Green... Raw green..." and other messages that indicate what the dwarf wants. They are in order, but do not indicate quantity, so one message asking for bones may mean that the dwarf wants three stacks of bones. [t] over the workshop to see what has been already gathered.

3. You could build a cistern above ground level and rig it to pour water down. O ther that that, I can't think of anything.

4. If you have that many, you've probably hit the population cap (Which is usually set to 200, I believe). Whenyou population drops, you should get more migrants.

5. Nest boxes will function anywhere the birds can reach them. They can be built underground with no ill effects, as elk birds are the only birds which need to graze.

6. Not from seiges I believe, as the bulk are not drawn from the population.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 02:57:36 pm »

Ok thank you.

Now I've learned on <T> on buildings  :o

Ok,

1. Dwarves do not dump equipment marked for dump, although it is allowed for dumping and is inside. What shall I do? Lot of idlers and trash is at the floor for years.

2. Are you sure wardwarves upgrade equipment automatically? I've produced steel breastplate and steel spear - but still noone got it although everybody is in copper. How to check equipment they are wearing?

3. Elven caravan arrivesm starts unloadind, seems willing to trade, but as soon as trade started - getting mad on my dwarves and immediatelly embark. how to improove this?

4. Human diplomat arrives once a year having some conversation with my baroness. When will be agreement signed? I'm tired of protecting him on the way to/from fortress with no virtually result except "it has been a pleasure..."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »

1. Whas are you trying to dump, exactly? Is your garbage zone indoors or outdoors?

2. Dwarves equip based on value. If their copper stuff is heavily decorated, they may not switch it out for steel. They can also get attached to weapons, which they will not drop under normal circumstances.
To check what a dwarf is wearing and holding, [v]iew their [ i ]nventory. You can see what they have assigned as a uniform in the [e]quipment screen. (I think it's [e]quipment, it could be something else.)

3. Elves won't take anything that is made of or contains wood, including decorations and bins.

4. The human diplomat currently has no purpose that I know of. It used to do something, but not right now.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 07:16:23 am »

1. Dwarves do not dump equipment marked for dump, although it is allowed for dumping and is inside. What shall I do? Lot of idlers and trash is at the floor for years.
MAke sure you have a designated garbage dumping zone. Use (i) to access the zone menu, place the zone like you would a stockpile (you only need one or two tiles) and then mark it as a (g)arbage zone. Dwarves with the appropriate labors will dump the items you mark for dumping into the tiles covered by the zone.

If you're dumping things which may rot (meat, skins, corpses, etc) and cause miasma, make sure you have considered how to keep the miasma to a minimum. Hatches, doors, diagonal connections, pits, etc.

Are you sure wardwarves upgrade equipment automatically? I've produced steel breastplate and steel spear - but still noone got it although everybody is in copper. How to check equipment they are wearing?
I'm sure they will upgrade on their own, PROVIDED partial matches are enabled on the uniform screen, and PROVIDED that the new armor matches the uniform's partial match and is better.

Elven caravan arrivesm starts unloadind, seems willing to trade, but as soon as trade started - getting mad on my dwarves and immediatelly embark. how to improove this?
1. Stop trying to sell elves wood. They don't like it when you cut down their parents and try to sell them back. 2. Make sure you're offering a fair deal - no fair giving the trader little profit.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 01:40:05 pm »

Thank's a lot. I didn't know of elves.
I have garbage dump zone designated and is inside.
Will check carefully, if something is missing in orders.

Is there any purpose to put gem into animal trap?

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 12:37:40 pm »

How do I equip archers with qivers? There is no quiver option in achers armor eqipment menu.
Do they wear it automatically?

Also they do not want to use arrows/bolts stored in bins, as well as mechanic for weapon traps with crossbows - "cancell load trap - no ammunition", althought bins are full of it.

Why do I need untamble animals?
I've occationally caught an unicorn but what shall I do with it, except tput caged in to zoo?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:43:21 pm by ponom »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »

Archers will equip bolts automatically.

Exotic animals can be tamed by a dungeon master, but this noble is bugged and does not appear.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »

My archers - dont! I have lot of bins full of unused bolts. Archers use crossbows as blunt weapon.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 01:07:11 am »

1. I believe gypsum is a layer stone, so it would be found in large amounts. I ususally find it nearer the surface, but I don't usually have any major digging below the first ten of so layers. If you want it exclusively for medical purposes, be aware that splints can be used to fix all injuries that casts can.

Gypsum is not a layer stone, it occurrs in large clusters, primarily in sedimentary layers.

From the gypsum raw entry (in inorganic_stone_mineral):
Code: [Select]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER:100]
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 01:50:23 am »

My archers - dont! I have lot of bins full of unused bolts. Archers use crossbows as blunt weapon.

In the (m)illitary (f)ammunition screen you have to assign ammo to squads that weren't specified as archer uniforms (I think). Sometimes if it seems my marksdwarf squads won't pick up more ammo I'll clear the ammo assigned to them and assign ten more bolts(100) - the (C)ombat and (T)raining don't seems to make a difference. This seems to shake them out of their stupor and they go get bolts

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2011, 11:45:31 am »

Still no luck with markdwarfes.

Quivers are full of both bolts and arrows but they use their crossbows as a blunt weapon. Doh!

How to fix it?

Next idea is to build watchtowers and put there some military dwarfes to watch the incoming ambushes.

say 3x3 tiles and 2-3 levels high towers. is it possible to discover invisible snatchers from that high?

Will this work out in general?

And one more for today - is it possible to get live fish/waterfowl at caravan? I'd like to put something in to the pond - ran out of fish in brook and unable to catch it with my fisherdwarfes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:28:39 pm by ponom »

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2011, 07:48:07 pm »

Still no luck with markdwarfes.

Quivers are full of both bolts and arrows but they use their crossbows as a blunt weapon. Doh!

How to fix it?

They cant shoot arrows from crossbows. Delete squad, recreate it to reset their equipment(so they drop arrows), set ammo to bolts only, 500 or more per squad. Make few k bolts, they get used fast. They like to claim unreachable bolts too, 500 limit per squad usually compensates for that.

Next idea is to build watchtowers and put there some military dwarfes to watch the incoming ambushes.

say 3x3 tiles and 2-3 levels high towers. is it possible to discover invisible snatchers from that high?

Will this work out in general?

They wont discover snatchers and probably ambushes too unless ambushers shoot at them. Still a good idea at least it looks nice. Battles however are always too far away from whereever you build those towers.

And one more for today - is it possible to get live fish/waterfowl at caravan? I'd like to put something in to the pond - ran out of fish in brook and unable to catch it with my fisherdwarfes.

No, it doesnt work like that. Fish stock is recreated every season(i think) by biome. So you can usually catch something in river but not in a pond.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »

If you added a arrow supply to marksdwarves, they will not use. Remove that ammo allocation from their supplies. If you are using the kill command for the marksdwarves, what do you expect. They will close with the enemy. At the same time the enemy will close. Treat marksdwarves as modern day artillery. Keep them out of melee distance from hostiles, preferably behind fortifications, and locked gates.
 Station orders usually suxxor, since they need line of sight to engage.
 Watch towers work, especially near you main gate. If something has a line of sight to ambushers, the ambush is usually spoiled. Girlinhat has used her animal watch towers to good effect, for messing up ambushes. On ground level , trees will interfere with LOS. Higher level ones do not. At ground level, put glass windows behind fortifications. Flying building destroyers cannot touch a window a z level up. Then chain animals near the windows. Also can set up patrol routes for your military to these towers. Plus stationing squads at these spots
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:48 am »

Next one about water:

How to stop it by raisable bridge? My 1x1 bridge in tunnel is not. If it is have to be longer than 1x1? Or any other special requirements?

I'd like to build normally open floodgate next to screwpump so I choose bridge, if there is any other possibilities?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:41 am »

Are you sure it's raised? On 1x1's it can be hard to tell.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5