Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Military command and report  (Read 4335 times)

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military command and report
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 01:30:16 pm »

As noone is willing to disclose wealth status, here's my new question.

How to make a tower?
In dwarfwiki it is too complicated and in ascii - I'm newbie
Lets concider I need a 3 floor tower. would someone please explain it to me?

And what is the maximum hight I can put catapult on to be able to shoot at ground targets?

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 02:40:39 pm »

Another question:

I have bought tamed elephant and some other coguars. How can I make them war animals?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 09:47:40 pm »

1. Build the walls at ground level.
2. Then, build an up stair. After the up stair is completed, build an up or up/down stair directly above it.
3. Build a floor around the stairs until it reaches the wall. Do not build floors over the already-present floors created by the walls.
4. Build walls on top of your walls. Usually you cannot build a construction over an existing construdtion, but floors created by walls are an exception.

As for the war animals, if you cannot train them via the "train war dog" option in a kennel, then you need a dungeon master.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 12:45:47 pm »

Thank you. It is now clear and worked out.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 02:10:52 pm »

Aloha!  :o

Some more questions:

1. why actually do I need artifacts? I have a lot of different, shall I create a temple full of it or what?
2. I have a well active and drinking zone 1x1 near it designated. Noone is coming. why? Build 5x5 tile pond and designated drinking zone around - guys started to come down for drinking. what is the difference?
3. Designated dump zone is not working - guys preffer to dump everything in the nearest dry channel. how to make them use proper dump zone?
4. where can I find describtion of all x, XX, (), * item describtions? how to make sure it is encrusted or somehow enchansed?
5. how to make an electrum throne, my baroness is willing to have so much?

Thank you.  :P

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 02:45:36 pm »

1. why actually do I need artifacts? I have a lot of different, shall I create a temple full of it or what?
2. I have a well active and drinking zone 1x1 near it designated. Noone is coming. why? Build 5x5 tile pond and designated drinking zone around - guys started to come down for drinking. what is the difference?
3. Designated dump zone is not working - guys preffer to dump everything in the nearest dry channel. how to make them use proper dump zone?
4. where can I find describtion of all x, XX, (), * item describtions? how to make sure it is encrusted or somehow enchansed?
5. how to make an electrum throne, my baroness is willing to have so much?

1. Artifacs are usually better than normal items. They are indestructible (not counting atomsmashing and semi-molten rock, I believe) and unsellable.
Other than they, there's nothing too special about them.

2. Wells don't need a drinking zone designated. Is there water under it? Also, only one dwarf can use a well at a time, so be patient.

3. if a dump zone is adjacent to an open space, dwarves will fling items down the hole. To stop this, don't set a dump zone next to a hole.

4. xitemx is partially destroyed. XXitemXX is mostly destroyed. You usually see these on worn clothes. !!item!! is on fire. -, +, *, (three lines), and (fancy *) are quality modifiers, from least to most. <<item>> shows that the item has been decorated. ((item)) means that the item was made outside of your fortress. {item} is forbidden.
I may have some of these incorrect.

5. Stockpile electrum near the mason's workshop, and make thrones. You may also need to disable electrum as an economic stone in [z]->stone.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 11:45:20 am »

New quiz:

Will this goblin die of hunger/thirst? How fast?
My archers are unable to attack with ranged weapon. Just stand behing and look at goblin.
Any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

For future I'll connect lever to some floor grates to manually control grates.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:00 pm »

No, the goblin will never die of thirst or starvation.

I've never used a tileset, so I'm not certain what I'm looking at here.
Archers will only fire if they have a crossbow, bolts, and a quiver. They will not fire through a fortification unless they are standing direcly next to it.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 01:17:06 pm »

No, the goblin will never die of thirst or starvation.

I've never used a tileset, so I'm not certain what I'm looking at here.
Archers will only fire if they have a crossbow, bolts, and a quiver. They will not fire through a fortification unless they are standing direcly next to it.

OK, this is a narrow path digged. and it is from top to bottom

weapon trap
cage trap
weapon trap
weapon trap
floor grate open
floor grate open
floor grate open
floor grate open
floor grate open
floor grate open
presure plate and gobblin standing on it
floor grate open
floor grate open
floor grate open
floor grate open
weapon trap
weapon trap
weapon trap

floor grates are connected to plate goblin is standing upon so it will never close.

I have fully equiped archers squad with some/much battle experience, but in this particular case they refuse to fire upon gobblin - just standing near it or doing their other urgent business.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 01:32:02 pm »

You could try tunneling from the side and sending in the melee dwarves, if you have any.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 02:23:27 pm »

You could try tunneling from the side and sending in the melee dwarves, if you have any.

easy way, but i dont want to duplicate entrance which will also pass the trap way. wall to close new entry can be ruined cant it?
any other ideas?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 02:27:08 pm »

Walls cannot be destroyed by anything other than a cave-in.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 11:07:25 am »

1. Artifacs are usually better than normal items. They are indestructible (not counting atomsmashing and semi-molten rock, I believe) and unsellable.
Other than they, there's nothing too special about them.

2. Wells don't need a drinking zone designated. Is there water under it? Also, only one dwarf can use a well at a time, so be patient.

Stairs were placed wrong way. Fixed it and well is full of thirsty dwarves.

3. if a dump zone is adjacent to an open space, dwarves will fling items down the hole. To stop this, don't set a dump zone next to a hole.
Forgot to remove another dump zone. Now it is fixed.
4. xitemx is partially destroyed. XXitemXX is mostly destroyed. You usually see these on worn clothes. !!item!! is on fire. -, +, *, (three lines), and (fancy *) are quality modifiers, from least to most. <<item>> shows that the item has been decorated. ((item)) means that the item was made outside of your fortress. {item} is forbidden.
I may have some of these incorrect.
5. Stockpile electrum near the mason's workshop, and make thrones. You may also need to disable electrum as an economic stone in [z]->stone.

Electrum is an alloy. throne has been made in metalsmith.

thank you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:09:27 am by ponom »

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2011, 11:10:21 am »

Walls cannot be destroyed by anything other than a cave-in.

thank you.

that was a bug - no firing through limited traffic zone.
I reported this now.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 12:34:57 pm »

Here's new quiz:

1. Where to find gypsum stone? Is it deep or not? In clay layer or stone? I'm trying to find it for medical purposes but don't know where to dig - uphill or down?

2. Is it somehow possible to get list of things needed for possessed dwarf to finish its artifact successfully? usually they mumble something but I'm unsure of quantity and or quality of components needed. I suffered more loses from possession than from sieges/thieves.

3. How do you prevent your fortress from burning out in case of fire breathers attack? I've encountered <I> megabeast which completely ruined my trap field at fortress main entrance. Any fire brigades, water cannons or what?

4. Will migrants start coming again? I haven't seen them for ages. What keeps them away from my fortress? I have 260+ dwellers now in my puny shack.

5. is it possible to put nest box inside walls to protect it? In case of egg laying birds, can they fly over walls to reach it? Or should it be placed in open only?

6. if gobbos can extinct? I've killed so many during sieges, but still they are coming. how to check their population if possible.

thank you.

Consider me newb but I have golden chains in prison.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:14:39 pm by ponom »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5