Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Military command and report  (Read 4351 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Military command and report
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36:41 am »

1. Go to the [m]ilitary [a]lerts screen, and make a new alert. Assign the purrow to that alert, and when you activate it all civilians will use the burrow.
2. There's no way to say "don't go here", other than using a burrow that incledes everywhere other than where you want them to not be.
3. As far as I know, there can be a new seige every season. Eventually, older seiges should start to leave, but don't count on it.
4. Do you have enough barrels? how many barrels are allowed to be in the stockpile? There's no way to force a dwarf to store something in a barrel, but they will almost always use them if they are available.
5. Not sure. I personally never put anything into barrels other than liquids.
6. have a food and drink stockpile within the 3x3 area of their restraint, and make sure it's filled. If they get really hungry/thirsty, another dwarf will feed/water them. (But only water, so make sure you have a nearby source and free buckets.)
7. Make sure they have no labors other than grower. How much farmland are we talking about? For a single farmer, I wouldn't push them past trying to keep about 30 farm tiles.
8. You can use them to label things like levers, but their actual purpose is to have somewhere specific to station military squads.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »

Sometimes very large stockpiles-that-require-bins-or-barrels (most usually food, bars/blocks, and finished goods stockpiles) have the tendency to get cluttered and not use bins and barrels appropriately.  Try cutting up your stockpiles if you're noticing lots of food going unbarreled.  I've noticed better containerizing (that is actually a word!) if I make 4 separate 10x10 food stockpiles instead of one big 40x10 one.  YMMV though.

Of course, you want to make sure you actually have enough barrels in the first place.  And make sure you haven't limited the amount of bins/barrels allowed per stockpile (seen in the sidebar menu when you highlight a stockpile with {q}) and haven't reserved an excessive amount (near the bottom of the sidebar when you open the {p} stockpile menu).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:03:56 pm by obeliab »

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 01:41:43 pm »

Thanks alot, Now it is much more pleasant to be beseiged.  ;D

I have read somewhere - if you suceeded surviving lots of seiges - the king will come to get you. If he is unlucky then they'll withdraw forever. Is it really so?

One more to go:

Is it possible some how to make oneway routes? Like for example havine two entrances one is entry, the other  is exit?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

The king may come when you meet certain population, wealth, and offering levels.
The population is 100, the offering is ~8000, and I don't know the wealth.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »

OK siege questions then  ???

1. gobbos has arrived just in time - caravan at my trade post has been destroyed. Will it bring to war with elves, as it was their caravan?

except that - i made it quite easy - one victim from my side - single dwarf was too far from home and lot of gobbos and trolls destroyed less than within 2 minutes (yes, I have a looooooot of traps installed at the entrance).

finally - have some cage traps worked. what to do with that caged gobbos? yes I know about all that gobb-bridge-pults, magma-cannons, animal-feeding-tools etc. But being a newbie , it is too hard for now.

2. Please advice how to properly stock those gobbos (any potential risc of escape?), how to strip them and put into archery/barrack for military training?

3. Can I have them tamed?

4. Will those gobbos become tougher? For now I have more or less same level besiegers - except few goblin nobles and one general, there are all stdrd copper armor melee weapon fighters or archers?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »

1. Unless the elves were already angry with you, a single slaughtered caravan shouldn't be too much of a problem.

2. Theives will escaoe if you try to pit them or lead them to another cage, but normal goblins are fine.
To strip them while prepping them for military training at the same time, build the cage in your barracks. Mass claim and mass dump the cage tile ([d]>[ b ]>[claim], [d]>[ b ]>[d]), then hook it up to a lever. Dwarves will cart the goblin's stuff to the nearest garbage zone.
Make certain your militia is training in the barracks, then pull the lever.

3. No, sorry.

4. Goblins and other learning creatures will gain stats like dwarves. Unless they're constantly dodging for weeks on end, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:04 pm »

I have the solution to all your questions.

Send your Military Dwarves out naked and barehanded, and have them wrestle with Badgermen.

You'll notice the exponential growth in Dwarfiness in under five hours!

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 01:13:25 pm »

Ok, next part:

1. Do military dwarves equip automatically? In case there's no enough armor/weapon at squad creation, but later if its apear will dwarves use it or shall I assign it manually?
2. As q.1, if better quality armor/weapon appears, will dvarves exchange to it automatically or should I?
3. when did you have your first megabeast/forgotten beast appear? I'm playing about 8 years and having annual goblin siege and once it it was minotaur. thats it.
4. can I arrange one way roads?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:19:51 pm by ponom »

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »

Soldiers will automatically upgrade equipment.

Can't answer on FBs - I'll leave that to someone with more experience.

You can set up a pressure plate with a hatch cover over a hole in a 1-tile wide corridor as a one-way path.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 07:42:13 am »

is there any possibility to test traps and/or other equipment out of game? I'm tired of getting out of time before another siege comes to test some brand new traps design.
Is it so object testing arena s fo sparring/combat only?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 10:15:19 am »

It depends on how many megabeasts are still alive, I think. Your distance from their lair or wherever they're walking around in helps as well. I'm in Y6 and have gotten two sieges, a minotaur and a cyclops. One of the sieges had a cat leading them.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 11:00:44 am »

When better armor/weapons are created/bought, your military will swap out old stuff for the better stuff. Be careful, they are looking for the most valuable, not most effective. So they will chose a iron breastplate, over the better bronze breastplate, if you do not specify the metal on that uniform. Also the reason for this, you do not want a crazy swordsman wielding a highly decorated copper sword, while there is a steel one in a bin.

When a dwarf has the title farmer, does not necessarily mean he is a planter.Check to see if he has Farming/fields enabled. This is for growing plants.

You have to assign a uniform/weapon template for the dwarf. It tells him what to wear, wield.

For a sneaky trick, concerning burrows, create one that covers everywhere you are comfortable with having the dwarves staying/working.(Inside the fort, usually) Then activate the civilian alert for that burrow. Only turn it off once the gates are closed, or you need them to be able to go into dangerous areas. This trick will save you time in not having to individually assigning dwarves to burrows. Beware, the military will ignore it.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:42 am »

Note that thieves will *attempt* to escape when you go to pit them.  But if the cage in the animal stockpile is directly next to the hatch over the 1x1 pit, then they will only manage to escape 20-30% of the time.  (And it may be as low as 10% chance.  It just feels like 1:5 or 1:4 chance in my forts.)

- Design your animal stockpile to only accept hostile caged prisoners
- Every tile must be directly next to a pit opening
- Hatches over the pits help lower the risk of accidental falls
- Hatches prevent civilian dwarves from getting scared at what is below
- Scared dwarves may break off mid-task, resulting in an escape
- Always station a military squad in the pit room
- Always have cage traps in the corridor outside (both at the top and bottom)
- Make your pits at least 12Z deep for assured kills
- Lock the lower doors to prevent early gathering during mass pit operations

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 07:12:45 am »

Back to siege.

It is now just a boring procedure. Before some time all sieges were as described in wiki - each time more and/or tougher,
I had weak goblins, nobles, bird riders, but then after goblin general fleed the field I have just a standard pack of spearmen, swordsmen with 1-2 nobles. And trolls. No any changes.
What am I doing wrong?

Can I put catapults on above ground? will it shoot at targets which are on ground level?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:14:56 am by ponom »

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 07:14:03 am »

Just curious.

what is your current wealth? How long since embarkment?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5