Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Military command and report  (Read 4330 times)

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military command and report
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:50:05 pm »

Hi there!

I'm kinda one of the newbies. Getting familiar with err.. startup process in the game.
So far one of the trickiest things is how to properly manage military squads.
It is kinda hard for me to equip all dwarves properly and make them start training/military actions.

If there is any tool like dwrf therapist for military squads arrangements? Just to be sure they are all equiped, dressed in national colours and attacking enemy.

Also combat are difficult to follow up, especcialy if there are more than 1 dwarf is in action.
If there is any tool/utility for report viewing with date/time filter, dwarf names, damage report etc?

I'm using df 0.30.20+ version and is now studying "the complete and... guide".

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Military command and report
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »

No. At least, not that I know of. The military screen takes a bit to get used to, but once you have it it's difficult to lose it.

All you need to do is create a military commander. After that create a uniform (-m- -n-) with what you want them to wear. Feel free to ask for tips on armor. Then create a squad (-m- -p- -c-, he'll be the leader) and you'll be asked to assign them a uniform, give them the one you created. Assign dwarves to squad, DT helps you sort through them to some extent as the ones active will have bold names and it shows you their military skills.

Next build a weaponrack/armorstand/bed and make a barrack out of it. Assign the squad to train, individual equip, and squad equip on it (-t- -i- -q-). If it's from a bed or has beds in it, you can have them sleep there, but they won't get happy thoughts from sleeping in their rooms.

You can check their equipment with -m- -e-, if there's a check they're wearing it. You can also assign new uniforms to them or individual uniforms with -m- -e- -u-.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »

You can hit the 'r' key to see combat logs. Also, you can issue basic commands to individual squads with the 's' key, but make sure to only use the (m)ove command, as the (k)ill command is bugged so that dwarves view corpses as living enemies.

As for checking uniforms, try assigning them and then wait a few minutes, then use the (v) screen to view your military dwarves individually, going to the (i) tab to check what they're actually wearing. If it matches up with their assigned uniform, you're good.

Also, try not to have them constantly training unless you have a lot of things to balance out the unhappy thought. I find that a good schedule is 2 month on training, 1 month downtime.

Also, you can change the train order to a minimum of 2, which increases the chances of sparring, which has a higher exp gain than individual training. Just make sure to equip them with wooden training weapons, made at the carpenters workshop, to avoid injuries.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »

You can hit the 'r' key to see combat logs. Also, you can issue basic commands to individual squads with the 's' key, but make sure to only use the (m)ove command, as the (k)ill command is bugged so that dwarves view corpses as living enemies.

As for checking uniforms, try assigning them and then wait a few minutes, then use the (v) screen to view your military dwarves individually, going to the (i) tab to check what they're actually wearing. If it matches up with their assigned uniform, you're good.

Also, try not to have them constantly training unless you have a lot of things to balance out the unhappy thought. I find that a good schedule is 2 month on training, 1 month downtime.

Also, you can change the train order to a minimum of 2, which increases the chances of sparring, which has a higher exp gain than individual training. Just make sure to equip them with wooden training weapons, made at the carpenters workshop, to avoid injuries.

If they're sleeping in their own room and are sparring, you can have them train all year long. My military does nothing but military training, after six years straight they're still happy. There's no reason to mess with schedules unless you have civilian duties you want them to attend to or you want them to patrol.

You can just put them in squads of two, if you assign a squad of 10 to only have 2 you'll be wasting 8 dwarves. Also training weapons aren't necessary, they no longer try to hurt each other sparring and it's extremely rare to get an injury.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:59:22 pm »

Thanks a lot.
That was something I did know yet.
It was totally disaster with all that schedules/training etc.
Now will simplify it as much as possible.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:03:17 pm »

OK then,

Now the other question of farming Ill post it here as dont want to make mess.

In brief -
i havelot of seeds in stock, lot of farmers coming in migration waves but still have some empty farming plots, althoug it is like 5x5 totally.
What shall i do to push farmers into farming?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:29:09 pm »

You have to -q- over the plots to see your options for growing, and tell them what they should plant each season. If you've just built a farm plot they'll leave it empty until this.

Also, if it's underground seeds make sure the farm is built underground on either a soil layer or an irrigated rock layer.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »

You have to -q- over the plots to see your options for growing, and tell them what they should plant each season. If you've just built a farm plot they'll leave it empty until this.

Also, if it's underground seeds make sure the farm is built underground on either a soil layer or an irrigated rock layer.

This is clear.
But even then i see not 100% plot is used.
Any advice?

btw how can i see seed stock. in -z- stock report it shows only total value in brown.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:49:34 pm by ponom »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:00 pm »

You neeos a bookkeeper for that. Go the [n]obles screen, select a useless dwarf as bookkeeper, change the [ s ]etting to highest accuracy, then give him an office (a chair).

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:16:47 pm »

This is clear.
Any advice?

btw how can i see seed stock. in -z- stock report it shows only total value in brown.

You won't use the entire plot, if you embarked with 10 of each seed you'll only need a 3x3 plot for each plant type. General embark I think starts with 5 seeds. As you process or brew the plants you'll get more seeds back, but cooking them into food destroys all seeds.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:07 pm »

You neeos a bookkeeper for that. Go the [n]obles screen, select a useless dwarf as bookkeeper, change the [ s ]etting to highest accuracy, then give him an office (a chair).

yahoo! now i know what is bookkeeper. I thought he is kind of librarioan to make dwarfs happy :-)

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 03:40:31 pm »

thanks a lot.
no questions so far.

will be tomorrow when i start testing all new features. :o

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »

This is clear.
Any advice?

You won't use the entire plot, if you embarked with 10 of each seed you'll only need a 3x3 plot for each plant type. General embark I think starts with 5 seeds. As you process or brew the plants you'll get more seeds back, but cooking them into food destroys all seeds.

i have 10 seeds same type and 2x2 plot, professional farmer + some less professional farmer. but they use only 3 of 4 plots.
how to utilize 100% of plots?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 04:14:37 pm »

Is the entire plot on soil/irrigated stone? If a grower encounters a tile they can't plant on, they won't plant in any squares after that tile.
Other than that, you probably just have lazy dwarves.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:47 am »

Hi! Its me again.    :P

Some other questions:

1. Burrows. How to make civilians stay in safe burrow somewhere deep?
2. How to make civilians move wherether they want to inside except entrance burrow while besieged?
3. How many sieges totally shall  I withstand? I had one with goblin general already.
4. How to make dwarves put food into barrels? I have tallow all over food stockpile.
5. How to arrange stock and put everything into barrels to save space?
6. How to make prisoners eat abd drink while in jail? Table/throne?
7. Lazy farmer. I have 200+ dwarves but farming is poor - food in not enough, but have 900+ seeds in stock. How to push farmers into farming?
8. What are those routes/points for? How it works?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:52:23 am by ponom »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5