Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clay Collection Zone Not Available?  (Read 2396 times)

Kalalification

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clay Collection Zone Not Available?
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:09:32 pm »

Okay, so I'm in my fort and I have a kiln and plenty of kaolinite, and was wanting to start up a ceramics industry. After looking at the wiki I determined that I needed to designate an activity zone and label it for clay collection in order to do this. Unfortunately, in my game there is no clay collection zone. I've got sand, hospital, dump, pit/pond, meeting area, water source, and fishing. No clay. How do I fix this?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clay Collection Zone Not Available?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »

Kaolinite is mined (it's a stone), not collected like other clays.  As long as you have some mined, the kiln will let you "make clay (whatever)".  Kaolinite turns into porcelain, which is very valuable, so if you have any other clay on the map you may want to train a potter with that, first.  Setting kaolinite as an economic stone (z->stone->kaolinite is red) will stop masons and mechanics from using it, but NOT potters.  Forbidding all kaolinite will stop even the potters from using it, then unforbid it when they have some skill. 

Clay can be gathered from any soil that has "clay" in the name except "silty clay loam" and "sandy clay loam", the only ones with 3 words in the name.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:23:03 pm »

This almost sounds silly, but if it's not in the list of zone types I have to ask, which version are you using? Pottery is quite new.

Kalalification

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:26:30 pm »

This almost sounds silly, but if it's not in the list of zone types I have to ask, which version are you using? Pottery is quite new.
31.18, I believe.

Also, to the first poster, I can't assign any jobs from the kiln. It says there is no access to the required materials, despite the fact that there is tons of loose kaolinite only feet away, and none of it is forbidden.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:28:32 pm »

31.18 doesn't have pottery yet.

But when you port over to a newer one, like 31.25, then it'll be like that. Gathering clay is just like gathering sand, but the blocks of clay don't require bags, instead weighing like 110+ mango. And you can build workshops and the like out of it, like it was stone!

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Kalalification

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:29:26 pm »

So what's the point of the kiln?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 01:30:23 pm »

So what's the point of the kiln?

Well... gypsum plaster, for one... and some other marginal uses.

EDIT: Checked. Potash into pearlash, too, for clear glass, and gypsum into powder for hospitals.

And in the new versions, also pottery.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!