Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact bonuses?  (Read 712 times)

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact bonuses?
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:07:10 pm »

One of my dwarves came up with a Legendary crossbow made of iron. What kind of bonuses can I expect from this over an ordinary iron crossbow?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact bonuses?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »

Shoot more accurately.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:01 pm »

IIRC, artifact level weaponry adds something like 5 levels to the wielder's crossbow skill, so whoever uses it should both shoot significantly more accurately and reload much more quickly.

Basically, it's a machine gun (especially when used by a skilled crossbowdwarf).

Edit: Actually, I'm wrong (according to Wiki): it's a 3x multiplier rather than a +5 skill bonus, so no reload bonus, but a (probably) better accuracy bonus.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:19:29 pm by Sunday »

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:30:06 pm »

Is there any bonus to the hammering side of it?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:13:22 pm »

IIRC an artifact crossbow will not benefit ranged skill at all, but will improve the melee skill.

The crossbow is the artifact, not the ammo being shot from it, so the ammo is only as good as whatever ammo you're making.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »

It's also indestructible, but you really should have known that.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »

I knew none of these things..

Thanks a lot guys :)
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:48:31 pm »

It's also indestructible, but you really should have known that.

That is more handy for furniture, not really that useful for weapons.

You can set up an artifact statue as building destroyer bait. They will keep attacking it but be unable to destroy it. Or you can set a wooden/graphite/lignite/coal artifact building on fire and it will continue to burn forever.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »

As far as I know, artifact buildings ARE destructible, and cause a lot of depression for the creator when this happens...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:28 pm »

As far as I know, artifact buildings ARE destructible, and cause a lot of depression for the creator when this happens...

I've never had one destroyed.

I have had building destroyers continually attack the artifact building, in my case a statue, for years. Its great for distracting some really tough building destroyers until you can get your military out there to take care of them. Keeps them busy indefinitely.