Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob question - how to make a reservoir?  (Read 690 times)

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob question - how to make a reservoir?
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

Hi guys!

Here's something I just don't really understand.  Checked out the wiki and did a few searches, but nothing's really helping.

I embarked in a rather hot area, so all I've got are murky pools (currently dry).  It rains fairly frequently, so I should be able to catch and hold rainwater in a reservoir.  The only thing is, I really don't know how to set one up.  I don't suppose someone could run through the "reservoirs for dummies" version with me?

Thankee.

-C

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question - how to make a reservoir?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:40 pm »

1.) Dig out a big chamber underground. If you like, make it multiple Z-levels deep and channel out the floors between the levels, so it's a single big, open chamber.

2.) Dig tunnels that connect your chamber to the bottoms of the murky pools, so that when the pools fill, the water will flow down the tunnels into your reservoir.

3.) Optionally, block off these tunnels with a.) walls with fortifications, which will permit water to flow through but will prevent enemies (even building destroyers) from invading through the tunnels, and/or b.) floodgates, so you can shut off the flow of water when you wish.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Noob question - how to make a reservoir?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »

I find that deep (multi-z level) narrow reservoirs work better because the water takes less time to spread out and it has to be practically empty before drying becomes a big issue. Build a well over it.

Also, don't dig out or pave over the whole floor of a murky pool. When it rains, water only magically appears on unmolested murky pool floor tiles. Digging yourself an artificial pond outdoors won't work... it'll never fill with water.