Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia Discussion Thread  (Read 33014 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Rougelike Mafia Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:33 pm »

Only item usage. So if scum gets a second kill via item, then the one using the item could benefit from the effect. The regular scum-(and, I assume, SK-)kills don't count because they usually count on people sneaking up on their victims and slitting their throats or something.

Also how 'bout these:

Druid: You cannot get any metal items. (The idea being that the list of items they can get is more limited, but they have a higher chance of getting those that they can use. Needn't be restricted to metal items either.)
Blue Mage (Mimic? Spellthief?): Any time you are targeted with a magic spell, you have a chance of learning this spell yourself as a one-shot.
Monk: No fucking clue what they could do but without doubt it'd be awesome.
Apprentice: Functionally identical to the random option, but adds more flavor imo.
Your Psychic idea is... meh. It's not that useful, honestly. Neither is the Druid, since it's really more of a "How is it more useful than another class?" thing.

The Mimic is okay, except that it's less Roguelike-ish than most of the ideas, and the Monk has no description other than "it'd be awesome."

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 01:08:29 pm »

Monks are basically ascetics. You know, immune to all non-kill actions. There's obviously a couple of issues here, not the least of which is that the Ranger is suddenly completely useless to everyone. So we could do, say, a 33% chance to aviod non-kill actions? That's not really cool, thougn. Oh well. I can't really think of anything better. There's also the problem of overlap with the Ranger, but that's fine, personally I think currently the flavor on Ranger is garbage and should be axed or changed anyways, so meh. Long story short, I dunno what Monks should be, really.

You're gonna give the ?oInspect to a Paladin? What's the flavour of that? A Paladin to me usually goes out to slay the undead, not actually go find it. I think in D&D they can cast detect evil, but realistically if you wanted that kind of utility you'd roll a Cleric. So wouldn't the one with the ?oInspect be like a Seer or Diviner? Of course then the miller flavor sucks. Hmm, how about we change the current Cleric to "Healer" and make the ?oInspect class Cleric?

A Paladin would be more like "smite evil" or "turn undead" type stuff, so I propose that whenever the Paladin does an action on an opposing alignment, there's a 25% chance of roleblocking the targetted player. There are evil fallen Paladins who worship the evil gods, so there's your scum and sk Paladin flavor justification. The cool part here is that although a mafia Pally will always hit an opposing alignment player, a town Pally will never block another townie. It's win-win for everyone.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

Detect Evil, natch.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 01:35:21 pm »

Detect Evil, natch.
He's got you there. I'm inclined to agree with this one, really, since having a Godfather Cop would be beneficial to both sides. Now, I have a panic button in case I get scum.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 07:06:42 pm »

I said it's a flavor problem, the actual mechanic is fantastic, but like I said, Pallys only Detect Evil in D&D. And if you need a character around mainly to cast spells like Detect Evil, you're bringing a Cleric, not a Pally. The flavor justification doesn't work because Pally's are awful at it even in the one setting they can. Hell, even if I was a Paladin, I'd STILL want to bring a Cleric along because they're better at it but also because if you're using a Pally to cast Detect Evil, by the time you hit combat, the Pally will be low or out of spells.

Paladins are holy warriors generally in heavy armor that head out and slay evil. Giving them an ability that isn't self-defensive or aggressive vs evil is just kind of wrong, personally. Also, what roguelike has Paladins actually using Detect Evil? Would that spell even have use in a RL?

The real deal here is that rather than take a subpar but acceptable flavor for the "good" aligned ?oInspect holder (tough flavor, basically Cleric, Priest, and Paladin only), I want to give that class very good flavor. Cleric being /oProtect works just as well as ?oInspect, so why not improve the Pally flavor? Healer is basically the best flavor possible for /oProtect, so it's not like any flavor is lost there. Seriously, what's wrong with my suggestion?

If you're gonna keep Pally's with a ?oInspect because "it's detect evil lol", at least rename the item to ?oDetectAlignment. If the flavor's going to be bad, it might as well not be conflicting with itself.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 07:12:06 pm »

Cleric works, I suppose. But, I dislike your Paladin mechanic. It needs less free blocks.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 07:14:32 pm »

Can we implement a level up mechanic =V

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:19 pm »

Multiclassing, too!

No, there will be no leveling up.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 09:33:04 pm »

Paladins are holy warriors generally in heavy armor that head out and slay evil. Giving them an ability that isn't self-defensive or aggressive vs evil is just kind of wrong, personally. Also, what roguelike has Paladins actually using Detect Evil? Would that spell even have use in a RL?

ADOM paladins can detect the alignment of a creature just by looking at it (at level 18).  They also start with the Law skill, which tells you when you do something evil.  You can bend that backwards to turn it into a Godfather type ability.

I do agree that the Cleric fits the flavor of the power set, but really only in the way that the Paladin does too- ability to sense evil and considered beyond reproach by many.

Levelling up might fit in a bastard mod, but I'm not even sure where to tweak that in.

...Potion of gain level?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 10:05:49 pm »

I was joking about the level up... But if you wanted to throw it in, and you would be a nut case to try, I would have it so that you gain a level at the start of each day. The longer you live, the stronger you are!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 12:02:50 am »

Cleric works, I suppose. But, I dislike your Paladin mechanic. It needs less free blocks.

That's fine, the whole thing is garbage. It's a tough flavor to fit to mechanics.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 08:22:12 am »

If you want to complain about flavor, you should point out that the Ring of Free Action doesn't do anything vs a wand of paralysis.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 11:45:02 am »

If you want to complain about flavor, you should point out that the Ring of Free Action doesn't do anything vs a wand of paralysis.
[/quote
Wand of Paralysis OP!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »

That's pretty bad, I almost want to special case that.

Almost.

Special casing is bad, mmmkay?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »

Btw, working on RoguelikeMafiaIRCBot.

Might need a shorter name.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17