Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia Discussion Thread  (Read 32980 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rougelike Mafia Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:33 pm »

Sure, what time?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »

I sadly cannot make it, as I have to start heading back to college tonight.

P.S. Webadict, could you mail me the latest revision of the code? You made some revisions last time that I don't have yet.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »

I sadly cannot make it, as I have to start heading back to college tonight.

P.S. Webadict, could you mail me the latest revision of the code? You made some revisions last time that I don't have yet.
Already did earlier today.

Sure, what time?
Oh, I dunno... I am hoping to have time around 7-8 PM Central...

Hoping.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:13 pm »

I'll try for it, but I might be late.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2011, 08:17:49 pm »

Ideas time!
Potion of resilience - Used as a day action, increases the number of votes to lynch you by one. Does not stack.
Potion of might - Used as a day action, your vote counts for two. Does not stack.
Potion of insanity - Used as day action, you will get an extra night action next night phase, but die in the morning. Does not stack.
Potion of invisibility - Used as day action, Can not be voted for or vote for the rest of the day.
Scroll of chaos - All actions for that night are redirected randomly.
Scroll of the sun - No night actions are used at all for that night.
Scroll of the moon - Next day phase is skipped, and the next night begins.
Scroll of alliance - If a townie uses on a townie, they become masons with a mason chat, if a scum uses on a townie or a townie uses on scum, the townie joins the scum team, and if scum use on scum, they just wasted an awesome scroll.

Also, classes
Black guard - Starts with a scroll of death + Random common, always inspects mafia
Chaos knight - Starts with a random choice of wand of cantrips OR scroll of danger OR Scroll of chaos + Random common, always inspect as third party
Ninja - 33% chance to save self when the target of a kill.
Monk - Immune to any sort of conversions.
Druid - As a day action may give an item to a player, starts with three commons, when they roll a common item from questing, they will receive a second random common.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »

Please rename the scroll of petrification or whatever it is and rename it to scroll of door creation. Or rename the wand to petrification, but either way having both items is pants-on-head retarded. Also, consider adding more higher-rarity wands/staves for current common and uncommon scrolls and wands that don't have them. For instance, there's a scroll of enchant armor, why not an uncommon wand or rare staff? Maybe not EVERYTHING should be this way since a LOT of common scrolls would make terrible rare staves, but at least consider them all.

Please change the wand of probing to an uncommon and add a common scroll of probing. Thank you. As a common, /oProbing is insanely good since it guarantees you performed that action, plus it's a wand so it's better than any other "good for confirming" common like the armor and weapon cursers and enchanters.

Ideas time!
Potion of resilience - Used as a day action, increases the number of votes to lynch you by one. Does not stack.

I REALLY don't want to reignite the "scroll vs potion" debate I always have with everyone else. I'll just say that if potions are all self-target and scroll are all target-other, I can agree to that. We'd wind up with "potion of teleportation", but that's acceptable to me. If that's not fine, then we can say potions are (x)abilities while scrolls are night actions, but there has to be some mechanical difference between the two.

Also, I'm not a fan of this item in general, frankly, because it becomes at lylo "we found the scum lynch him!" "lol u lose anyways", which is beyond bullshit. Maybe if it created a warning and auto-extended the day, or better yet was a night action that warns everyone, then it's fine. Perhaps this can be fused with the "scroll of invulnerability" that's frankly a bit weak for a rare. If the player glowed golden yellow during the day as a warning to everyone, that's fine. (Wow! FOO was invulnerable last night! FOO's resistance is sitll continuing today, kills and lynchings won't be effective..."

Potion of might - Used as a day action, your vote counts for two. Does not stack.
Same problem as the last one, it breaks lylo. I dunno what to do here, though, since making it a night action adds another clearing ability AND doesn't solve the problem anyways. MAYBE if it was a day action and gave you double votes on the next day AND warned everyone, I can support this at uncommon. As written, it's rare and terrible.

Scroll of chaos - All actions for that night are redirected randomly.

An amusing rare, that's for sure.

Scroll of the sun - No night actions are used at all for that night.
Already exists as a rare "scroll of time stop" or something like that.

Scroll of the moon - Next day phase is skipped, and the next night begins.
The most direct lylo breaker you've created yet. No. Not just no, hell no. MAYBE if it was an artifact and had some nasty as fuck drawback (hint: killing the user isn't enough), but as-written it's an instant-win if you can get to the night before lylo. Also, there's no reason whatsoever for a townie to use this. Ever.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm fine with things scum want more than townies, I'm just not seeing a townie enjoy recieving a rare that's strictly bad. Good scum items are ones that deny townies information while doing something good (exiling is a good example, it kills which is good but denies the roleflip), or ones that do two similar things, making it hard to tell which actually did what (door creation: Did I RB scum or protect the mafia's kill target? And of course scum just roleblock annoying townies to try to "save" their life), or ones that might backfire horribly (suicidebomb, ring of ascetisism, ect). But "I win" buttons are bad, and I don't approve of them for townies either. I just don't see any for the town, although I do think there's more really good low-rarity items there should be.

Also, classes
Black guard - Starts with a scroll of death + Random common, always inspects mafia
Chaos knight - Starts with a random choice of wand of cantrips OR scroll of danger OR Scroll of chaos + Random common, always inspect as third party

Black Guard is a straight no, right to your face. If this gets added, I can guarantee I and at least Webadict will take it and shoot someone on the first night. It'll only be a matter of time until every player picks Black Guard and shoots on the first night.

Chaos Knight seems both clunky and shitty in a single package. Why take that shit AND ruin inspects when I can take Pallie? And if I AM third party, Pallie will make a far better inspect-proof claim, or better yet I can just take Warrior or Random and get an item that doesn't suck.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »

On the scroll vs potion thing, I was going for a scroll = Night action, potion = day action approach.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »

Vote change items:  I've waffled on those, and still am against them (with the exception of the already-existing artifacts.)  Despite the kill scrolls doing just that, I want to avoid more LYLO breakers.

Potions:  Barring a strong mechanical/flavorful reason, I'm keeping all one shot items as scrolls.

Insanity... is interesting.  Since you can't give a report of any inspection-type actions, it seems mostly useless for town, and questionable for scum.  I might add it, but I don't see a use for it.

?oChaos:  In, as Rare for the time being.

?oSun:  Already exists.

?oMoon:  Same objections as Person.

?oAlliance:  An interesting concept, but mechanically tricky.  What if I use it on a survivor or other oddball third party?  A non-alignment guaranteed mason chat generator already exists.  I like mason chats, but no one uses them (or the scroll of mail, even after I made it a free action.)

Problem with Black Guard is that any mafioso with a brain will pick it, and then N1 there are X kills where X is number of mafia.  No.
Chaos Knight... For such a disadvantage, the added item doesn't add a lot.  It's an interesting concept, but I'd think it'd be better simplified and without the inspect change.  IMO, any class disadvantage should be either minor or nonexistent.
Ninja:  Interesting.  I'll consider that mechanic, but 33% is a bit much.  Clearly favors town/third party (but that's not necessarily a bad thing.)
Monk:  Underpowered.
Druid:  Extremely strong for scum- they know who needs items.

Door Creation/Petrification:  I meant to change that earlier- my bad.  They're both Door Creation now.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »

I figure if you ally/are allies by a third party, your wincon becomes for them to win. So if you used it on a jester then your wincon would be for them to by lynched.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:10 am »

Scroll of Persistance: Target has all effects of previous nights repeated. For instance, if on night one a player gets roleblocked and inspected and on the next night get targetted by a scroll of persistance, then that player gets roleblocked and inspected by the targetting player. (Rare)

I'm thinking we should keep conversion items as artifacts, and that's if we do any at all. For instance...

Hircine's Ring: Player gets told they found a ring of warning (you can just do any random ring if you want), and the ring will act like one. However, each night the player will kill a random player in addition to the other action(s) he or she performs. If you want to do alignment-changing items, you can make the ring transform the holder into an SK. The player gets told the true nature of the ring after killing two people, at which time the kills can be targetted but is no longer done in addition to other actions.
Also, a better name would be good. The flavor here is from Morrowind and Daggerfall. It allows the user to transform into a werewolf at will. It's not bad or anything, I just dislike doubling up artifact sources except for a few exceptions.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia Discussion Thread
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2012, 08:48:05 am »

Game Four has been completed.

I thought it went rather well.  A few things did come up that I noted needed to be worked on.  First, some items aren't quite clear in their function.  That's not a hard resolution, and I'll go through the items and clean them up.

Second is flavor.  The varied nature of the items imply a certain flavor of usage, but that flavor may be used as clues as to who did what.  The option exists to ditch flavor entirely and just report results, but I think that loses something.

Third is the public pool.  It's a good concept, but the execution feels lacking.  Does anyone have any suggestions for spicing it up?

Fourth is a specific item- should the Brooch of the Phoenix work on lynches?

I'm interested in the thoughts of others on flavor, and also any items that aren't clear on function.  Suggestions for new content are always welcome.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:24 am »

I like the flavor, really. Are you looking at the flavor given when people use items, or the flavor when bodies are found in the morning? Or both?

As for the pool, I like it! You tend to get higher-end (uncommon+) persistent items or the less powerful common consumables (not protection, door creation, etc). I think the only Common persistent is Ring of Warning? If you are trying to make people use it more, it will be hard to find that middle ground between what it is now and people grabbing from it constantly.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2012, 09:21:10 am »

I have a suggestion for a new common item: a wand of...I really need a good name...that allows you to discover a target player's class at night.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:54 am »

Hapah:  I mean night result flavor.  Day start flavor's not a problem.

You are correct in that passive items tend to collect there- you did a good job collecting those.

Jack:  I like it.  Can catch fakeclaims, but also potentially root out third parties that I've given a unique class (Can happen, but hasn't happened yet.)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2012, 11:17:45 am »

Class ability analysis:

Bard: Seems okay.
Mage: Good idea, maybe underpowered?  Maybe something like 50% recycle on common items, 33% on uncommon, 25% on rare?  (or maybe 33/25/10?)
Merchant: Seems okay.
Paladin: Seems okay.
Priest: I feel a little "ehh" on this one, but leaning toward okay.  Maybe throw in a small (5 or 10%) chance of getting some resurrecting item at the beginning?  Or maybe he can sacrifice a number of items to his diety and get a wand of protection as a night action too?
Ranger: This one feels "ehh" to me as well, but anything I can think of suggesting sounds more like a thief ability.  Like, bonus to getting higher quality items, always getting the highest quality item from the pool, etc.
Thief: Seems okay.
Transmuter: Seems okay.
Warrior:  Maybe be something more like 25% kill resistance?  As is, it's really only helpful for scum (very situationally) and practically useless for town (as odds of getting a killing item as town and *then* targeting someone being protected...).
Maybe throw in a passive item like "Bracers of forcefulness" that add 33% chance to pass protections?  Uncommon, maybe?
Random: Seems okay.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17