Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia Discussion Thread  (Read 33024 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rougelike Mafia Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »

There's several solutions to this problem, guys. I would solve things by giving the town and mafia different item pools that hand out certain abusive items less often, but Web's "sk-only" strategy is fine as well. I think having a game with sks and a mafia would be fine since the sks would be totally willing to kill randomly to stop the mafia. One could also just take away the mafia's mafiakill.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2011, 08:01:54 pm »

Interesting ideas, but to really test things I'd need larger games- 9p is hard to test out esoteric builds with.

You know, hint hint?

(A mafia team is not guaranteed)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2011, 10:09:19 pm »

Ok, here's a list of various basic actions.

Kill
Protect
Inspect
Roleblock
Steal
Follow (where'd my target go?)
Patrol (who else visited my target?) (I always mix these two up. Also, where's track? FUCK IT)
Randomize
Gift
Anything else simple

Now, how many combo actions are there?
For instance, we already have protect+roleblock and kill+roleblock, so why not patrol+protect? We can call it Scroll of Sanctuary.

Scroll of Substitution: gift+steal from target.

Scroll of Assassination: follow+kill target.

Scroll of Clairvoyance: follow+patrol target.

Scroll of Racketeering: protect+steal from target.

Also, here's a nice unrelated idea: Scroll of Piracy: Gain a copy of a random item from target. Trying to copy an artifact means nothing happens.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »

Anyone wanna help test RogueBot? I think daykills are working. And even if they're not, you can wish for anything currently in the game right now.

Also, just say that this is miscalled Rougelike.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2011, 10:13:41 pm »

Lots of stuff ACTUALLY WORK! That means much of my work revolves around adding items, actions, and classes. If you have any ideas, other than those already listed in the Roguelike Mafia Game Information, as I use that as a basis, then feel free to share them. Hopefully, I can add them to the game. If it's too complex though... It might not make it.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2011, 12:36:07 am »

You need a scroll that changes your target's action into a random action. Because mwhehehe.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2011, 07:11:48 am »

You need a scroll that changes your target's action into a random action. Because mwhehehe.
That might be difficult, especially considering that some actions are artifact actions. And that some actions do not target the same things.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2011, 07:34:03 am »

If you spelled out (somewhere- not necessarily in the item description) what actions it could become, then it'd be doable.  You'd have to specify what would happen if the target was targeting multiple people.  (Scroll of gifts targeting everyone, action changed to "kill," gg)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2011, 08:50:08 am »

If you spelled out (somewhere- not necessarily in the item description) what actions it could become, then it'd be doable.  You'd have to specify what would happen if the target was targeting multiple people.  (Scroll of gifts targeting everyone, action changed to "kill," gg)
Well, that wouldn't be difficult. That would just cause the first person that's targeted to get killed. Though, I suppose the choosing of which actions to switch to is the really annoying part. Mostly because I would have to differentiate artifact actions from non-artifact actions. Otherwise, if you were switching your class, you might be changed to genocide on that class.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2011, 01:53:19 pm »

Take a dump of the artifact list. Take the actions given by artifact items. For each one, store an extra flag. Boom, artifact flag. Each time an artifact is added and given a new action, tick the flag.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2011, 05:56:51 pm »

Take a dump of the artifact list. Take the actions given by artifact items. For each one, store an extra flag. Boom, artifact flag. Each time an artifact is added and given a new action, tick the flag.
That's still a bit too much. Especially for something like Excalibur, which has just a normal inspect added into it.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2011, 09:20:28 pm »

It's the most efficient way to tag an action as coming from an artifact or not. And seriously, I think right now you have three artifact actions (genocide, invoke, and wish). Isn't Excalibur just "gain inspect, also resistance to whatever"? Obviously I'm talking about hand-doing things and not asking to program a bot to do this. Hell, one person could probably do this in a day even if there were literally a hundred artifacts.

Now, a more general question. What exactly do we need in the forum game's item list? More information-givers? More kills? More defensive and protective items? I don't have an answer, but this is something to keep in mind.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2011, 12:34:23 am »

I have an opinion, but I'll let the ongoing game run its course before I say anything.  I need to actually count items, as well.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2011, 08:47:35 am »

BTW, RogueBot has vote actions, day actions, and several fixes to it. Woo! I think it is almost ready for some actual games! Would anyone care to try it some time? Perhaps tomorrow evening?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17