Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia Discussion Thread  (Read 32992 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Rougelike Mafia Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 07:21:10 am »

If your after a few classes, just to make things a little more fun.

Assassin: Kills have a 50% chance to work. Kills that pass this check can not be blocked or protected from.
So this is a great class for scum who want to kill a player who is proven town. They are going to have protects on them, and there is a chance for warriors to randomly be blocked, but the assassin has a 50% chance to slip past all that and slaughter the most well protected player in the game, so a higher chance than the warrior or ranger to bypass their relative obstacles. The problem is that because there kills only work 50% of the time, they are not worth using every night.

Artificer: Starts with a random uncommon in addition to a random common. If this class is chosen from random, starts with a single rare item.
So yea, only different from the bard if you happen to get it from random, but gives the small chance of a rare item d1.

Paladin:  Starts with a Wand of Inspect instead of a random common.
Because we have clerics playing the town doc, let's get a town cop in!
Warrior kills have a chance to bypass protection AND blocks.

No to the Artificer on principle. It's not new, and it adds more unbalance to the game.

I do agree with the Paladin, however, except there would need to be something for scum to counter everyone picking Paladin. Because, literally, everyone could pick Paladin and win.

If there were some counters like:
Scum specific class:
Shapeshifter - Inspections result in the whatever the player chooses for class and alignment.
(A general Godfather to counter Cops and anything that could see classes)

Additional class:
Illusionist - Starts with a Wand of Roleblock instead of a random common.
(Roleblockers are LESS beneficial to Town and are a great pick for scum)

Less role power:
Paladin - Starts with a Scroll of Inspection and a random common.

Also, lol to the scum picking up a scroll of Genocide and killing everyone. >:D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 07:30:09 am »

Well, everybody of a specific role.

Also, warrior goes through blocks? I thought they just cut through protects! How lowly my ranger looks now...
Also, again, the artificer would only get a rare item if the player chose random, and got lucky and got artificer, so it is up to the mods to cheese the number of good artificers in game, otherwise they are just a bard. Still, If we have been over this in the past, I guess that ends that one.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 07:53:31 am »

Shapeshifter - Inspections result in the whatever the player chooses for class and alignment.
(A general Godfather to counter Cops and anything that could see classes)

Paladin - Starts with a Scroll of Inspection and a random common.
Or, combine these two.

Paladin - Starts with a Scroll of Inspection and a random common. Paladins always inspect as Town.

Not NEARLY as strong as a separate Doppelganger class, but it'll stop a measly percentage that one of them gets a Scroll of Genocide.

Well, everybody of a specific role.

Also, warrior goes through blocks? I thought they just cut through protects! How lowly my ranger looks now...
Also, again, the artificer would only get a rare item if the player chose random, and got lucky and got artificer, so it is up to the mods to cheese the number of good artificers in game, otherwise they are just a bard. Still, If we have been over this in the past, I guess that ends that one.
Warriors can go through blocks, but only on kills.

The Artificer seems too powerful for the game. If it had something different to add like:
Artificer - Once per Day, this player may combine two items of equal rarity to get a random item of greater rarity. Two rares will combine to make a rare. Due to their nature, artifacts may not be combined.
This makes the Artificer something useful (And seems something more suited toward Artificer.) It also is sort of like a Merchant, but with no chance and a higher cost and a higher return. Which leads me to the point that a Merchant should get a 50% chance instead of 33%. The item they get back is completely random, so there should be less risk. I might even go so far as to say 66%, because I'm not sure how often it's used.

Also, I figured Nethack's Archeologist class would be fun.
Archeologist - While questing for an item, this player's chances to find an item are 59%/28%/11%/2%. This player starts with a common item.
The -6/+3/+2/+1 change is so insignificant that it shouldn't unbalance gameplay too much. Now, if you wanted to favor it more, it could be 56%/30%/12%/2%, but that's a -9/+5/+3/+1 change. That's pretty high, but not gamebreaking. You could do some checks, I suppose.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 08:58:28 am »

Or shapeshifters could start with a wand of shapeshift, which allows you to target anyone to make them look like the alignment of choice.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:02 am »

Or shapeshifters could start with a wand of shapeshift, which allows you to target anyone to make them look like the alignment of choice.
So, basically a Frame Artist.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:33 am »

Yes, except you can target yourself, or scumbuddies to make them seem town.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:44:10 am by Ottofar »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:42 am »

On Paladin:  Starter wand of inspect is too much.  I'll consider the combined paladin form (godfather + ?oInspect) as its perks would be mostly exclusive based on your alignment.  Third party could probably use both parts, but that's fine.

On Assassin:  Perhaps some flavor of untrackability?  As stated, it's a warrior but better in every way.

On Artificer:  Too similar to bard on first revision.  The combining items is an interesting idea:  I'll have to run some numbers on that.

On Illusionist:  /oRoleblock sounds awfully strong.  I'll think about it, but I'm not sold.

On Shapeshifter:  /oShapeshift is going in- great idea.  I'm not sure about the class, since it's nearly scum-exclusive in utility.  (It's more scum-focused than Priest is town-focused, though I agree Priest strongly favors town.)

It's a frame artist that doubles as a remote-trigger Godfather.  "Hey scumbuddy- you were scummy as hell yesterday and everyone suspects you.  Let me cover you and have you inspect Town."  I'd have resolve miller/antimiller stacking rules- they'd probably cancel out at a 1-1 ratio, so if you were Millered and Antimillered, you'd inspect as your actual alignment.

On Merchant:  I'll check some numbers.  Would it be better as a day action?  I'm thinking yes.

On Archeologist:  Again, I'll play with the numbers, but I'm not totally sold on the concept.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 10:11:03 am »

On Paladin:  Starter wand of inspect is too much.  I'll consider the combined paladin form (godfather + ?oInspect) as its perks would be mostly exclusive based on your alignment.  Third party could probably use both parts, but that's fine.

On Assassin:  Perhaps some flavor of untrackability?  As stated, it's a warrior but better in every way.

On Artificer:  Too similar to bard on first revision.  The combining items is an interesting idea:  I'll have to run some numbers on that.

On Illusionist:  /oRoleblock sounds awfully strong.  I'll think about it, but I'm not sold.

On Shapeshifter:  /oShapeshift is going in- great idea.  I'm not sure about the class, since it's nearly scum-exclusive in utility.  (It's more scum-focused than Priest is town-focused, though I agree Priest strongly favors town.)

It's a frame artist that doubles as a remote-trigger Godfather.  "Hey scumbuddy- you were scummy as hell yesterday and everyone suspects you.  Let me cover you and have you inspect Town."  I'd have resolve miller/antimiller stacking rules- they'd probably cancel out at a 1-1 ratio, so if you were Millered and Antimillered, you'd inspect as your actual alignment.

On Merchant:  I'll check some numbers.  Would it be better as a day action?  I'm thinking yes.

On Archeologist:  Again, I'll play with the numbers, but I'm not totally sold on the concept.
The Paladin one was a balance so that BOTH mafia and scum could use it. The Mafia could even use it to find third parties.

My idea for the Artificer was that combining useless items into something better would be something that could help late game. If you live long enough, you'll have about 4 or so items and they'll probably be useless. But, if you get a rare later game, then it'd be a lot more useful. Though, remember, this works only if there is no item sharing. You might want to add a percentage for this to fail. Something that keeps it on track with the Merchant's ability.

Now I'm going to have to argue for the Illusionists. Illusionists are Town or Mafia Roleblockers (Or Third Party, too.) Town Roleblockers are a LOT WORSE than Town Doctors, since a Doctor may protect a player and keep them alive, while a Town Roleblocker has the high chance to block Town action at the expense of possibly blocking Mafia action. Mafia Roleblockers are therefore more powerful, and it's a nice counter to the Priests and Paladins as well as Warriors. It also gives a reason to choose Ranger, which is a lot less useful as a class than it should be. Perhaps Rangers COULD use the 50% chance to bypass blocks if there was a class that had roleblocking to begin with.

I agree with Shapeshift if there was also a scroll and staff version. There could definitely be less useful items.

On Merchant, yes. Or, if it was just a once-per-day ability. I think a boost in the chance to get something of equal value would be nice, but if it's once per day, it might not even need it. It'd be nice, since you could always do something with those useless items without wasting an action. It'd also make sense gamewise, as the Merchant could call a nearby Merchant to barter with (which is obviously how he gets his new item, and if he fails the common one, the other merchant doesn't want it, so he throws it away.)

As for Archeologist, that's fine. I felt like someone should have the ability to grab rarer items at the cost of no items to start with. The increases are pretty small for the most part. The only big change is, ironically, the double chance to get Artifacts. 2% is MUCH better than 1%, I won't lie. Now, 11% is not that much better than 9% and 28% is certainly very similar to 25%, so I don't even mind that. So, keep in mind that over an infinite amount of time, the Archeologist will find twice as many artifacts. However, they will start with nothing, except MAYBE a common. That means anything they find will be their only Night action. They're severely limited in this respect. A Priest at least has the option to protect someone. The Archeologist is hoping that they won't get stuck with crap. It's more of a gamble with Archeologist.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 10:16:34 am »

The Paladin one was a balance so that BOTH mafia and scum could use it.
Typo?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:12 am »

He's just so scummy it infected his keyboard.

Good point on Artificer being a late-game power.  I might give it a 75% chance of success, with failure not wasting the input items (or maybe destroying one at random.)  It'd be a once a day action.

On Shapeshifter:  Yes, there would be a scroll and staff version.  I'm always looking for more commons.

On Merchant:  Yeah, I like it counting as a day action (ergo once a day.)  That'd stop a player endlessly cycling items in an attempt to get something specific.  There will be a boost to chance to keep the rarity- just not sure how much yet.

On Archeologist:  I missed it starting without an item, which does give it more flavor.  The only catch is I'm likely to forget to give it its bonus due to the way I roll items, heh.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

He's just so scummy it infected his keyboard.

Good point on Artificer being a late-game power.  I might give it a 75% chance of success, with failure not wasting the input items (or maybe destroying one at random.)  It'd be a once a day action.

On Shapeshifter:  Yes, there would be a scroll and staff version.  I'm always looking for more commons.

On Merchant:  Yeah, I like it counting as a day action (ergo once a day.)  That'd stop a player endlessly cycling items in an attempt to get something specific.  There will be a boost to chance to keep the rarity- just not sure how much yet.

On Archeologist:  I missed it starting without an item, which does give it more flavor.  The only catch is I'm likely to forget to give it its bonus due to the way I roll items, heh.
I just realized I could probably turn this game into an IRC Bot. It's big enough and complex enough so that it has an ability to evolve over multiple quick playthroughs. It'd be nice to test for balance, especially in short scale.

If that's alright with you, Monsieur Toaster?

I'd suggest adding it to Xylbot, but I feel like needing something to do. I was thinking of making an automated roller, but then decided to take it one step further.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 11:04:51 am »

Go for it- I cribbed ideas from lots of you (and the whole concept from Irony- thanks!) so it'd be unfair to keep it back.

I'll try to get on tonight to help test, but I may be moving stuff- we'll see.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 11:07:42 am »

How about this:

Psychic: with your telekinetic powers you can use items without trackers noticing that you're the one using them. They will, however, notice that a psychic used an item.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 11:12:15 am »

Would that work on mafia kills?  Seems to favor scum, though how often are you tracked?

Max, you mentioned ranger earlier.  Keep in mind that for warrior, only kills have a chance to bypass blocks, while rangers get that for any ability (yes, mafia kills too.)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 11:18:44 am »

Only item usage. So if scum gets a second kill via item, then the one using the item could benefit from the effect. The regular scum-(and, I assume, SK-)kills don't count because they usually count on people sneaking up on their victims and slitting their throats or something.

Also how 'bout these:

Druid: You cannot get any metal items. (The idea being that the list of items they can get is more limited, but they have a higher chance of getting those that they can use. Needn't be restricted to metal items either.)
Blue Mage (Mimic? Spellthief?): Any time you are targeted with a magic spell, you have a chance of learning this spell yourself as a one-shot.
Monk: No fucking clue what they could do but without doubt it'd be awesome.
Apprentice: Functionally identical to the random option, but adds more flavor imo.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:20:40 am by Darvi »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17