Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Prefered burial

The corpses are put underground in coffins
- 92 (74.2%)
The corpses are destroyed and a memorial is placed
- 6 (4.8%)
The corpses are left to rot and a memorial is placed.
- 3 (2.4%)
The corpses are left to rot. I don't care about ghosties lagging me to death!
- 4 (3.2%)
Everybody gets their own expensive tomb.
- 14 (11.3%)
Other (please explain)
- 5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's your prefered method of dwarven body disposal?  (Read 3043 times)

Trippin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your prefered method of dwarven body disposal?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:03 pm »

Well... I've taken a liking to dumping corpses in a chosen surface pond, then plopping slabs around the pond. as the fort progresses, the site around the pond becomes like a temple, walled off and underground access only. I like to think that visitors to their loved ones resting place see the dwarf memorialized on a slab, then look to the shallow pond to see their loved ones skulls staring back at them through the murky water.
I imagine that every fortress will eventually become a roiling mass of naked, muddy beardballs so fat they have to travel by rolling around.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 02:28:29 pm »

Normals get tossed in mass tombs with tons of cheap stone coffins. Dorfs I like get adamantine sarcophogi studded with gemstones. Truly epic military dorfs get the same, but have small pyramids built around their tombs outside, which are then filled with the blood of the earth from the local volcano.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 02:39:19 pm »

I kill migrants by dropping them 10 or so Z-levels. Spike traps take care of any survivors. Nearby, I have a large corpse stockpile and an ever-expanding room filled with coffins. Normally I'd prefer not to give them the dignity of burial, but I don't want ghosts everywhere.

Regular dwarves get a coffin of their own in the catacombs. Dwarves of note get a nice tomb.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:07 pm »

I build a huge tomb complex with room for 200+ coffins, and adjoin private tombs for nobles and notable dwarves.

I use a custom workshop to make the coffins out of gemstones, and match stone types to the dwarves likes in the private tombs.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 03:15:23 pm »

Atom smash their clothes and corpse. If they rise as a ghost then I a make a slab.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 03:48:30 pm »

I very much prefer to atomsmash the corpses (and their belongings) and then just put a memorial somewhere. I used coffins before, but memorial slabs are much nicer.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 03:49:27 pm »

Coffins are entirely automatic though. So long as you have sufficient coffins burial is handled automatically, no micromanagement required.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 04:00:28 pm »

I give everyone a coffin and a slab.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 04:12:57 pm »

The corpses are left to rot and then put underground in coffins   :D

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »

Nobles get their own tombs when demanded.
Everyman dorfs get coffins placed in mined out veins of ore/gems.
Military dwarves get their own mini-tomb based on how much I like them.
Dwarves I like get grand tombs filled with stuff they like as payment for being awesome.  (My one eyed, one armed, military commander with a named copper axe which has slain 5 FBs has one waiting for her)
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

bp1986

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »

I would like to say that I give everyone expensive tombs, but I know that I don't. That temporary 'grave room' stuffed full of coffins is pretty much the best I do with burials.

Granted, my only experience with dealing with death in a fort was pre-ghosties, so I never even tried out slabs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:45 pm »

While nobles have awesome coffins in life, in death I just deconstruct their awesome artifact gold coffin, and then they get a regular coffin room just like everyone else. I then reuse the awesome artifact gold coffin for someone else who will appreciate it while they are alive.

The exception for this would be a king. A king only gets the best.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 05:21:50 pm »

While nobles have awesome coffins in life, in death I just deconstruct their awesome artifact gold coffin, and then they get a regular coffin room just like everyone else. I then reuse the awesome artifact gold coffin for someone else who will appreciate it while they are alive.

The exception for this would be a king. A king only gets the best.

Yeah same, in one fortress I had a coffin that had probably been in the possession of around 10 different nobles. A body never was actually placed into it.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 07:43:13 pm »

I just make my catacombs. There are only around ten bodies in there right now. Each branch contains 20 coffins, for a current total of 120. Once pets start to die, I'll dig out the other side in a similar fashion, but I won't bother smoothing/engraving it and they all get wooden caskets.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »

For mass burials, I just make some 3x11 rooms, line both sides with coffins and will put engraved slabs down the middle if the need arises.  If I need a lot of space, then I can pack a trio of 3x11 rooms into an 11x11 footprint.

Once filled with bodies/corpses, I replace the door with a permanent wall.
Pages: 1 [2] 3