Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Prefered burial

The corpses are put underground in coffins
- 92 (74.2%)
The corpses are destroyed and a memorial is placed
- 6 (4.8%)
The corpses are left to rot and a memorial is placed.
- 3 (2.4%)
The corpses are left to rot. I don't care about ghosties lagging me to death!
- 4 (3.2%)
Everybody gets their own expensive tomb.
- 14 (11.3%)
Other (please explain)
- 5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's your prefered method of dwarven body disposal?  (Read 3041 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: What's your prefered method of dwarven body disposal?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17:13 pm »

Hallway with coffins on the lower z-level, constructed floor over the ramp that leads to the coffin once it's filled, and a memorial slab directly above the coffin. A statue may be added for deserving dwarves.

Legendary dwarves and war heroes get magma tombs; that is, a 3x3 room with engraved walls, coffins of some magma-safe metal (I usually use iron), a magma-safe slab, and two statues of the same material as the slab; orthoclase and alunite are common. Once the sarcophagus is filled and the statues and slab are placed, the room is sealed with a glass window and filled from above with magma; the body immediately immolates, and the dwarf's hard soul returns to Armok through the glorious earthblood.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »

Well... I've taken a liking to dumping corpses in a chosen surface pond, then plopping slabs around the pond. as the fort progresses, the site around the pond becomes like a temple, walled off and underground access only. I like to think that visitors to their loved ones resting place see the dwarf memorialized on a slab, then look to the shallow pond to see their loved ones skulls staring back at them through the murky water.
There's something wrong with you... not that that's a bad thing.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 10:45:13 pm »

I usually dig out a huge area of valuable ores like magnetite, then when I've exhausted the vein, I carve the area and place a bunch of coffins.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 07:57:20 am »

If engraving a slab or destroying the body meant that the ex-dwarf wouldn't claim a common burial coffin, I'd mix slabs and coffins with only the great dwarves getting a coffin and the rest having a slab somewhere out in the cavern.  Also it being impossible to create tombs posthumously really irks me, since it means if I want to do tombs I have to prepare them all in advance, in case of accidents.  Usually the first deaths happen way before I'm ready to start digging out tombs that won't interfere with the fortress expansion.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

fritz04

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »

had a fortress with a surface volcano.  Constructed a platform on top that consisted of a 3x3 floor walled and roofed with the center square occupied by a coffin (quality depended on the doft to be buried.)  Thus the tomb-pod-submersible-thingy completed, id wall it in, deconstruct the floor around it, and drop it into the volcano. 

Ended up losing half the burial parties due to the collapse knocking my dorfs off the platform into the magma themselves.

Also discovered adamantine that fortress when the coffin dropped through the volcano floor, into a lava lake.  And then promptly got overrun by fire lizards coming up through the breach. 

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 05:55:16 pm »

Nobles and military dwarves (or any other dwarf I take a liking to) get a proper tomb.

Others are usually left to rot, though recently I've built a giant hall of marble coffins to house the dead. I was originally going to just have a hall of memorials, but the fact that the names of memorialised dwarves stick around on the list it's too hard to keep track of who has one and who doesn't.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 06:43:01 pm »

Let us just say that I've been experimenting with a novel new food source in the last few forts...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 08:03:37 pm »

That's not very novel after the shearing skin/bone for resources thread. Which, I'll admit, i started.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 08:26:38 pm »

Let us just say that I've been experimenting with a novel new food source in the last few forts...
Cannibalism? You know, I never got round to checking whether your fortress would butcher the corpses of castes that were butcherable live.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 08:40:02 pm »

Nah, dwarfs won't butcher sentient creatures unless you do a bit of modding.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 12:53:40 pm »

I usually just make 5x6 rooms so that I can easily order 30 coffins to go into them.
I try to make sure that sure that there are always two or more such rooms with empty coffins in case of extreme fun.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »

I usually just make 5x6 rooms so that I can easily order 30 coffins to go into them.
I've been using rooms that hold 7 coffins, plus a few caskets for pets.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »

I've experimented with large tomb complexes, taking up a full level of the fort, each a warren of 3x3 rooms with a coffin and some finery.  For some reason, seeing my dead dwarf collection grow takes some of the sting out of losing my best dwarves to flukes.

I've also done volcano and chasm burial (a few versions ago), which had a certain gravitas to it.  Armok be praised, and all.

I've played with an outdoor cemetry on a beach next to the ocean, a small hole in the ground for the coffin, then seal the entrance and put a statue on it. 

I also was fond of lining the entrance to my forts with the interred corpses of military dwarves who died defending the fort, and their war dogs. 

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 04:04:52 pm »

I make tombs when possible, otherwise, they'll be rotting in a sealed room or near the outdoor gates until I get something setup for them. That is, since 40d. I've yet to get fully used to 31.xx, so I have nothing new to do outside what I have been doing.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 05:08:13 pm »

Most dwarves in my forts receive coffins in a communal tomb some levels below the main living area. Legendary dwarves in a useful craft, like Weaponsmithing, etc, receive personal opulent tombs decorated with expensive crafts, and Legendary soldiers with massive kill streaks receive a place of honor several levels lower, complete with engraved stone, statues, and anything else I can be bothered to provide at the time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]