Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dorf houses  (Read 2070 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Dorf houses
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:17 am »

How do you usually make your houses?

I usually seperate my fortress into living space and workshops, seperated by the entrance and the eating hall. Then I make a four-room house (Dining room, statue room, storage room, and bedroom) for my favorite dwarf (Usually the most creative) Three-room house (Dining room, bedroom, and storage room) for my leader. two-room houses (Bedroom, Dining room. A little nicer for my first seven)for the first ten or so dwarves. The ones who arrive late will get one-room houses, with nothing but a bed. Then the ones who arrive even later get really small rooms, with practacly no personal living space whatsoever (2x2). Then everyone else that comes after sleeps in the public sleeping hall.

They usually end up looking like underground alleyways.

Wait a minute... Do dwarves even use their chests and weapon racks?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorf houses
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:52:51 am »

i just dig a huge underground "tower" of 12x12x12 tiles, with 9 staircases in 6 tiles one from another in a mesh.
Above-ground floors make barracks and fortifications, upper underground layers have workshops surrounded by differentiated stockpiles for raw materials, in the middle there are meeting halls and stockpiles for goods and food, and the lower levels are living pods of 36 3-squared rooms per level. Further down go the exploratory shafts, and wherever i find magma i make 3 another workshop-stockpile-living layers. I find it to be an effective decentralized and easily scalable construction

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:07:48 am »

Weapon and Armor racks are not used to store weapons and armor. That's a job for the chest, in which they use(or are supposed to use. I don't know if the bug for littering has been fixed).

Also, dwarves use Cabinets for Clothing.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:09:25 am »

On topic, I usually make a mass bedroom complex comprised of about 80 bedrooms divided in 2 Z levels, being those rooms 1x5. That's enough for a bed, a cabinet, a chest, the door and a statue.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:28:48 am »

I make basically an array of 2x2 rooms all separated by one tile and all connected to each other so the rooms acts as the hallway and the bed is in the corner not directly blocking walking, that way sleeping dwarves don't get in anyone's way and I can save myself the hassle of having hallways. The only downside is you need a ton of doors, but it tends to raise room value if each room has 4 doors so dwarves tend to be happier with this sort of "hive" design.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:32:39 am »

I make basically an array of 2x2 rooms all separated by one tile and all connected to each other so the rooms acts as the hallway and the bed is in the corner not directly blocking walking, that way sleeping dwarves don't get in anyone's way and I can save myself the hassle of having hallways. The only downside is you need a ton of doors, but it tends to raise room value if each room has 4 doors so dwarves tend to be happier with this sort of "hive" design.
Like this?
Code: [Select]
D==D
|bf|
|hs|
D==D
D=door
b=bed
f=cabinet
h=chest
s=statue

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:35:04 am »

1. Dig a hole in wall (1 tile).
2. Put bed in hole.
3. Assign bedroom (1 tile).
4. Repeat 100 times.

= 100 happy bedroom owners!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:41 am »

Usually I dig out clusters of bedrooms near the work areas so skilled dwarves can move easily between bedroom and workshop.

Next time I think I'll dig out a huge room for a dorm, put the beds in with space between them, and slot some walls and maybe doors in later to give privacy to everyone. It's probably pointless and as much work as doing proper bedrooms (except for defining each bed as a room), but I want to do it anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:52 am »

I make 10x10 rooms encircled with layered stairways and walls, two squares thick so miasma doesn't spread horizontally(and once I get someone legendary who can make hatch covers, I spam them). In one corner, I put the workshop, for four layers outside that, I put the workshop's stockpile, then two layers of tables, beds and chairs for workshop's user and their haulers, and then finally their food and drink stockpiles. Yeah, my forts can be a bit grim. They end up looking like a sort of dwarven borg cube dug straight down into the rock. Seriously, just a ring of hatch covers on the surface, with a trade depot nearby. One day, I'll bother to build a ramp down to an underground depot, but I'm still at the point where I tend to trash forts after two to five years because I've had an amazing idea that make everything so much more efficient if only I'd built it that way from the outset.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 10:53:47 am »

due to the high death ratios in my forts, bedrooms are a pain when a quarter of them become unowned a year after assignment and they barely keep the dwarves happy anyway.  I usually just end up making row upon row of beds all unassigned.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:03:33 am »

Three by three rooms, in groups of five three by three x formation, connected in a box of 4 by 4 groups for 64 rooms a floor.

Here is an example of a set on a corner.

ooooooooooo
oXXXoooXXXo
oXXXoooXXXo
oXXXoooXXXo
ooooXXXoooo
ooooXXXXXXX
ooooXXXoooo
oXXXoXoXXXo
oXXXoXoXXXo
oXXXoXoXXXo
oooooXooooo

Nobles of course get larger rooms then this, 5 in the middle and 7 on each end, in groups of 2x3
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:14:32 am by RTiger »

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:53 am »

When I want individual rooms, I will just dig out a 1xWhatever hallway, dividing it with doors into 1x3 rooms with a bed, cabinet, and chest. Even if I don't let them use the chest, I like them having it.

A fun low cost dorm is something else I do. Because any rooms overlapping other rooms penalize the total room value by more than half, I can make 2x3 double room, 2xbed, 2xcabinet, 2xchest, 2 rooms designated on the same area from the two different beds. The value takes a hit, but roommates makes sense to me for cheap living. If only I could get one dwarf to leave his socks all over the place producing a bad thought in the second dwarf who has all his socks alphabetically organized in his cabinet.

I make grand multi-rooms for nobles, their offices, dining rooms, and bedrooms are all dug adjacent, and they may get furniture made out of materials they like.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 12:41:56 pm »

All my dwarfs have 5x5 rooms with a baed and a door.
Later on they get a coffer and a cabinet and a statue if they are the subject of it.
If I play with a pop cap of 60 or higher they also get their rooms smoothed.

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 01:04:51 pm »

All my non-noble dorfs get rooms in a fractal housing project (a variant of the first one here, macro-ed up by one of my friends because I couldn't do it consistently enough to make the macro).

Each room is 2x3, with a bed, a chair, a table, a cabinet, and a chest.  It makes them very happy, and avoids the frequent complaints about not enough chairs or not enough dining tables ;)

My nobles generally get square apartments either 5x5 or 10x10 per room, with furniture of sufficient quality to meet their specifications, smoothed and engraved (waiting till my engravers get legendary for higher nobles' suites).

Duhwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »

I make the 3x5 4 rroms for nobles and the 4 space 2x2s for everyone else. It's a reepeated pattern dug on one floor while the nobles rooms are on a seperate floor entierly.

XXX                                            XXXXX
XX                                              XXXXX   Office
Everyone Else                               XXXXX     
                                                     X
                                                 XXXXX
                                                 XXXXX  Eating
                                                 XXXXX
                                                     X
                                                 XXXXX
                                                 XXXXX Bedroom
                                                 XXXXX
                                                     X