Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released  (Read 183077 times)

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2012, 05:39:46 am »

Footkerchief is getting this information from the Dwarf Fortress main page by the way. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ It is publicly available, and Toady semi-regularly revises and publishes an estimated release date.

Very exciting times though, yes.

zacty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2012, 10:22:09 pm »

any news on the new release?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 18, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »

any news on the new release?

It'll most likely be out between one week and one month from now.

Honour3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:29 am »

I play DF less now, because I wanted for a long time (and then it was put into the development schedule long ago):

Military

Dwarven armies
        Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
        Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
        Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
        Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

But I couldn't find any hint of an ETA nor when this section will be started. I just check the "Development" page twice per month and be sad :(

I just love/want/need/demand the ability to send dwarves away, to reduce my lag with a yield, rather than become one of countless corpses in the K-Pit.
Huge fan nonetheless.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 19, 2012, 11:18:23 am »

Wait for it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:41 am »

I play DF less now, because I wanted for a long time (and then it was put into the development schedule long ago):

Military

Dwarven armies
        Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
        Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
        Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
        Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

But I couldn't find any hint of an ETA nor when this section will be started. I just check the "Development" page twice per month and be sad :(

I just love/want/need/demand the ability to send dwarves away, to reduce my lag with a yield, rather than become one of countless corpses in the K-Pit.
Huge fan nonetheless.

Essentially, Toady decided that worlds need to be more dynamic during gameplay before they're ready for armies.  You want wars to be started by fleshed-out characters with interesting motivations, whether economic, ideological, or just plain villainous.  You also want armies to be have supply lines and stuff.  You need more interesting sites to attack, and combat needs some work.  Add all that together (with a lot of badly needed Adv Mode improvements) and you get the current release schedule (which will probably be rearranged after this release).

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:48 am »

But I suspect that Caravan arc will take, oh, maybe another three years, and then we'll get started on Army Arc.

Chill, guys. Toady's in his early thirties; he's not leaving for the great booze stockpile in the sky anytime soon.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:09 pm »

But I suspect that Caravan arc will take, oh, maybe another three years, and then we'll get started on Army Arc.
3? One year for single release, there are 9 planned releases so eight years is more likely.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2012, 08:27:48 pm »

3? One year for single release, there are 9 planned releases so eight years is more likely.
Looking at the Dev page: Release 1 had one bullet point; Release 2 has two bullet points; Release 3 has three bullet points; Release 4 has four bullet points...
Just saying  ;D

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:02 pm »

But surely not every item on the list is as complicated to implement as what Toady has been working on for the last year?
puppywhirrrrrrl

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 19, 2012, 08:58:16 pm »

But surely not every item on the list is as complicated to implement as what Toady has been working on for the last year?

This release's stated features weren't that complicated either -- maybe 3-5 months on their own.  It's all about feature creep.  There was a year's worth of disciplined releases after 0.31.01, and I think we can expect at least another year after this one, which should be enough to get through many of the Caravan Arc releases (if the schedule survives in any recognizable form).

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 19, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »

The fact is that Toady can do releases like this only too many times before he realizes that he's got to limit feature creep and put ideas like that on the dev board.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 19, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »

The fact is that Toady can do releases like this only too many times before he realizes that he's got to limit feature creep and put ideas like that on the dev board.

...says who? He's never failed to deliver before, and it isn't like the community is shrinking.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:23 pm »

But all these ideas, were on the dev board in one form or another.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Honour3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2012, 10:03:16 pm »

Thank you for the speedy and informative replies + info guys ^^

On the topic of development speed, given his donations and how active this community still is (as I see, again), why won't he hire staff to assist? Notch of Minecraft got a few people in way later than he should of, why won't Toady? He can afford a single hired hand, surely? Over $30k in the last 4 years, each year. Can't he hire a guy? Yes it's a jump and if he is risk-adverse then he may not want others interfering until he REALLY CAN throw away money.. but $40k+ in each of the last 2 years.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't APPEAR to have the same SALES figures (because nothing Dwarf Fortress has never had a price tag); perhaps open another line of funding in the form of Official Ownership of a Dwarf Fortress copy - charging £5 a piece during alpha is what got Minecraft going - although it's more simple, 1st-person gameplay more easily shows where the money is going. If nothing else, this rant has made me consider donating some more - but good god man, why isn't a rocket up this project's ars* already?

Edit:
Surely if Dwarf Fortress can open another line of funding as in "Buy a licence" then many people, donators and those that are donation-adverse, would purchase. With the one-time-per-person funding, perhaps a capacity for staffing? I imagine that once the Dwarf Fortress ball gets rolling, nothing is standing between us and a retail version.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:07:22 pm by Honour3 »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27