Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released  (Read 183064 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released
« Reply #270 on: August 24, 2011, 12:28:52 pm »

yeah i dont mind when it comes i was just wondering bout the economy cause my old computer could never have decent FPS when it come neer that point in the game
You can disable it in the init files.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #271 on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:44 pm »

I'm honestly more interested when dwarves will start wearing the clothing they claim :/ Seems like such a tiny bug but it bothers me so much since clothing/uniforms and that is the biggest selling point of DF to me.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2011, 07:44:48 am »

I'm honestly more interested when dwarves will start wearing the clothing they claim :/ Seems like such a tiny bug but it bothers me so much since clothing/uniforms and that is the biggest selling point of DF to me.

Really? That's the biggest selling point? Well, to each their own.

You can make your military dwarves wear really specific clothing, even down to the colour, in the military screen. They will automatically (in theory, since I've never bother trying) claim new clothes when the old ones get worn out, since the value of the worn out clothes should be less. You could militarise your whole fort and leave most of the dwarves to civilian duties, but still make sure that they pick up their assigned equipment. That way, all adult dwarves should wear exactly what you want them to at all time.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2011, 01:32:49 am »

Give each dwarf a few chests and cabinets and they should at least store all their spare clothing.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2011, 03:54:03 pm »

My dwarves just seem to throw their claimed stuff around. And what about claimed food that lies on the floor and keeps rotting till clouds of miasma. Is there a way to solve that ?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »

Yup.
MAGMA!!!!!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 21, 2011, 05:21:10 pm »

All hail magma!  The universal solution Magma is the Alpha! Magma is the Omega!  Glory be to Magma!

*cough*

That's kind of a bug.  There's utilities that are part of DFHack that can fix that.  I think it's confiscate, autodump or autodestroy, depending on how you want to deal with the situation.

Autodump just moves all objects marked for dumping to the location of the cursor (a location full of magma works well)  autodestroy does the same thing, just making the stuff cease to exist.  and confiscate I believe just removes ownership of the items.  But I haven't tried that one yet.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »

Honestly, instead of each dwarf having a billion insignificant clothing items, I'd just as soon dig around in the files and disable clothes entirely. It certainly can't help FPS and it serves pretty much no purpose whatsoever. Just assume everyone is wearing unmentioned overalls.

Edit: While I'm bumping this, when will DF start getting some updates again? Omg I can't waaaaait D:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:57:46 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2011, 01:11:04 pm »

I rather like narhiril's solution to the clothing issue in Legends of Forlorn Realms.  Standard clothing is a single item labeled something like "work outfit".
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

Half the point of DF is the ridiculous level of detail- why start abstracting it now? And of course, clothing does count as armor for the purpose of attacks- go ahead, roll up an adventurer and strip him naked before going off to pick a fight some wolves, tell me how long you last.

With any luck it'll be fixed in the next slate of bugfixing, which will come after the next version is released, which is hopefully soon. Next Thursday would be nice, since I've got 3 days off in a row starting then :P

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2011, 06:56:49 pm »

Half the point of DF is the ridiculous level of detail- why start abstracting it now?

I'm more concerned with the level of detail which has any significant bearing on the game or enhances it in some way. The only thing having 10 billion clothes articles does is make cleaning a fort up much more tedious.

Standard clothing is a single item labeled something like "work outfit".

Yeah, that seems more reasonable to me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:58:51 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:29 pm »

Half the point of DF is the ridiculous level of detail- why start abstracting it now?

I'm more concerned with the level of detail which has any significant bearing on the game or enhances it in some way. The only thing having 10 billion clothes articles does is make cleaning a fort up much more tedious.

Part of the attraction is the complexity.  However to some extent, we need the dwarves to handle the mundane aspects of the complexity.  YOU design the blue cloak, green socks, and red tunic and trousers uniform for your fort.  You arrange to have the crafters build it and dye it, but your dwarves actually build each individual piece and claim it.  Everything generally works up to the point where the dwarves handle the posessions they have claimed.  Getting this last stage put in order would go a long way towards cleaning up a lot of old forts and keeping them playable for a longer.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »

So, when the newer version will be available?  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2011, 12:47:19 am »

So, when the newer version will be available?  ;D
After release.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:33 pm »

Part of the attraction is the complexity.  However to some extent, we need the dwarves to handle the mundane aspects of the complexity.  YOU design the blue cloak, green socks, and red tunic and trousers uniform for your fort.  You arrange to have the crafters build it and dye it, but your dwarves actually build each individual piece and claim it.  Everything generally works up to the point where the dwarves handle the posessions they have claimed.  Getting this last stage put in order would go a long way towards cleaning up a lot of old forts and keeping them playable for a longer.

I agree to a point! But imagine that you can design how the work uniform is put together and all that, and when it's done you have a single item "work uniform" with all the details in the description, instead.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27