Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released  (Read 183071 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2011, 01:06:13 pm »

That's your problem.  There is no way to make a computer that old, Mac or PC, to run a game like DF with anything approaching a good experience.  Is it one of the berry colored ones? God... I haven't seen one of those in AGES!

Actually, that's not true. I don't mind the low FPS, since it allows me to run DF as a sim rather than a game requiring constant attention. So I can work on my writing, hang out on Asylum, etc. and check in every few minutes to see how the little happyfaces are doing with no great danger of disaster striking in my absence. It's not the same experience, but it's a good one.

The other reason that's not my problem is newer DF versions will not run on a Mac without an Intel chip. Period. (I got mine just before Apple switched chips. It's one of the white ones with the screen on an adjustable arm--very cool, and was reasonably powerful at the time. I kind of wish the newer ones were still like that, but the screens are so big now it probably wouldn't work.)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2011, 12:50:51 am »

It's very easy evolutionarily to just dampen the pain if it becomes necessary because getting a few mosquito bites causes creatures to pass out from the pain.
Mosquitos.

It's only humans who get all sensitive about silly things like paper cuts.  It's just people who have forgotten how painful it was when they got major bone fractures who compare their most recent paper cut to their bone fractures and say the paper cut was worse.
*drums fingers*

An insignificant wound just isn't painful unless you're focusing on it.  (And that's how those scarification people pull through those procedures - they just don't focus on  it.)
Oh, really? I had no idea. >:(
*eye twitch*

I'm not sure what you mean by that...
I'm responding to your points in order.  I'm just disagreeing with the premise of your argument.
Yes, I'm aware.  ::) I'm aware of a few other things, as well, so I think I'll take some of that inspiring advice and focus away from the pain currently in the vicinity of my butt and neck.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2011, 02:14:50 am »

Well, we need material templates for degrees of thick-skinnedness. Also tissue templates for a thick, pain-insensitive skin layer made of that material over the soft skin layer.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2011, 12:52:55 pm »

Will we ever have such places?

Finis sanctificat media.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2011, 01:07:59 pm »

we don't yet?
 ;D
(i had one once, was beautiful)  :'(
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2011, 02:22:10 pm »

It's very easy evolutionarily to just dampen the pain if it becomes necessary because getting a few mosquito bites causes creatures to pass out from the pain.
Mosquitos.

Yes, mosquitos.

Yes, needles.

Yes, those are absurd examples - they're supposed to be absurd.  I'm trying to highlight an absurd situation.

As I've been saying for the past few posts, it's an absurd situation where any breaking of the skin is the same as any other breaking of the skin, in terms of pain.  This means that a mosquito bite is exactly the same in terms of pain produced as having all the skin on your torso ripped off at once.   That means that cutting someone four times to produce a 2-inch long wound hurts four times as much as having that cut happen all at once. That is absurd.

I am trying to showcase the absurdity of this situation in the clearest terms I possibly can.

This is not some sort of personal attack on you, and I don't see why you seem insistant on taking it as one.  I especially don't understand the apparent need to send me nastygrams via PM through an obvious sockpuppet account.  I am legitimately talking about an issue I see with the game, not performing some sort of harrasment, and I do not even make an argument against you, personally, excepting this paragraph. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2011, 04:10:58 pm »

im not sure if there can be seacliffs in the current world generator...it erodes too much...maybe...i havent tested it out too much...but i havent seen anything to say different...but absence of evidence isnt evidence of absence...so maybe?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

I am not sure if its still true but iirc. "cliffs" got turned of/ toned down a year or so as the roads where introduced. This made this kind of place rather rare.

ok go the quote from 2008 and i am not sure if stuff changed back yet.

Quote from:  Toady one in the devlog from 03/14/2008
I've also smoothed out cliffs for the most part.  There will doubtless   be some bugs from this, and we'll definitely want to get occasional   cliffs back in (once you can climb, anyway), but they were everywhere   and made moving around almost impossible.  Now it does some local   smoothing first and you can pretty much walk anywhere you want, unless   you hit a river or the ocean.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:53:38 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2011, 06:32:09 pm »

This is not some sort of personal attack on you, and I don't see why you seem insistant on taking it as one.  I especially don't understand the apparent need to send me nastygrams via PM through an obvious sockpuppet account.  I am legitimately talking about an issue I see with the game, not performing some sort of harrasment, and I do not even make an argument against you, personally, excepting this paragraph.
No, I don't do that kind of thing. If someone is harassing you through messages, you can contact a mod and determine their IP address and general location, but paranoid accusations are not welcome. Personally, I think anyone making trouble on this forum is taking away time from Toady that could be better spent on Dwarf Fortress.
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:28 pm »

I am not sure if its still true but iirc. "cliffs" got turned of/ toned down a year or so as the roads where introduced. This made this kind of place rather rare.

You can still get epic cliffs by turning off erosion or changing the cycle.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »

Will we ever have such places?

I got a map like that quite on accident back in 40d. I still consider it to be my best fort ever, with its underwater apartment complex and its elaborate outdoor temple to the goddess of wealth, straddling the canyon above the water, with the waterfall cutting through.

PS. Someone is sending harassing private messages? That is terrible. I'm proud to say that DF seems to have a much more mature and intelligent community than average, no doubt because of the game's complexity simply not appealing to the masses. No names, but my only complaint is that I saw someone going around with a "hit list" of hated accounts in their signature for the horrible, horrible crime of being an otaku which IMO is incredibly immature and inflammatory. Let's cut stuff like that out of our community and continue being the best gaming site I've ever been a part of!  :-* :-*
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »

There used to be a bug that made those too.  It was something like rivers traveling to the ocean from the mountains properly but they never went down z-levels on the map.  So you would get these long dirt walls with rivers on the top that were hundreds of z-levels above sea level making a huge waterfall once they hit the ocean.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kynalvarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

Love the new site finder. It's neat that it can find soil and clay now. How about an option for sand, in case we want to be able to make glass?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2011, 05:23:30 pm »

I just encountered something that might or might not be a bug, and I want to know which it is.  I just ran into a "Lady Consort" in a town.  Now, this world was made in .19 and I'm still running .22(lets hear it for sloth), but I don't remember any mentions of fixing historical figure placement in recent releases.  Is this a bug, a feature, or neither?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2011, 05:52:38 pm »

Forgot to give my thanks for these wonderful bugfixes, my one legged dwarf thanks you too for allowing him to continue to fight goblins :)

I don't see anything, but is the lye bug still around? I have buckets full of water and lye, but they're poured into barrels that contain just lye so it seems fine to me.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27