Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Okay, it's not me.  (Read 2400 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Okay, it's not me.
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:38:37 am »

My miners truly are stupid.

All this time, I thought I was mining out their exit, and they're just incredibly stupid.

Why are all my miners starving to death or dying of thirst when the way is perfectly open to them?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, it's not me.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:46:33 am »

We need a sticky dedicated for ramps...
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:50:57 am »

Ramps cause this sometimes, other times you might have a tree growing in a doorway.

Lost nearly 60 dwarves because a goblin cap blocked off the food stocks and I didn't see it. Figured the high traffic would prevent that.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:13:36 am »

We need a sticky dedicated for ramps...
I'm telling you, I built the ramp right.

Shortly after frantically digging in from another direction, they all walked out the ramp they couldn't use that entire time. Shortly after that, all three of them threw a tantrum then calmed down, and I thought everything was cool. That is, until one when all emo on me, and the other two went berserk and I had to put them down.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 07:10:25 am »

That is, until one when all emo on me...

That has never occured to me. Can melancolic dwarves try to chop their heads off?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:28:51 am »

Sometimes I have to redesignate ramps carved at z-1. Just happens sometimes when the only access is above the planned ramp, never when they have at least a side access. Only a big problem if I don't pay attention to them idling.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:17:40 am »

Well, that fortress is a goner now.

For some reason, with food literally bursting from my fort, my people all starved to death.

I had a working kitchen and butchery with 500 units of food...and they all died hunting vermin.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:19:38 am »

Did you mod blood?
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:34:10 pm »

Did you mod blood?
I only use the Phoebus graphic mod for the game right now, I don't think that would cause problems with my dwarfs.

I did look into it though, and it seems like eggs stopped being considered food for some reason. I manually went through them all, and they weren't rotten or forbidden.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »

I don't think dwarfs can eat raw eggs.

Some people say they can, but I've NEVER seen a dwarf eat one raw in any of my forts. I've always had to cook them first.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »

I don't think dwarfs can eat raw eggs.

Some people say they can, but I've NEVER seen a dwarf eat one raw in any of my forts. I've always had to cook them first.
My cook was in the kitchen cooking them. I think I had about 350 prepared eggs.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 05:57:59 pm »

(a) some odd problem with pots in the storage?

(b) pathfinding problems with your ramp & staircase or burrow setup.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 06:06:00 pm »

Are you positive that your food stores were made up of things that are actually edible?  Food-type items that aren't edible raw still count towards your "food stores" statistic.  I once very nearly lost an entire fort to starvation because I thought I had hundreds of units of food only to realize that it was 100% seeds.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 06:25:48 pm »

Are you positive that your food stores were made up of things that are actually edible?  Food-type items that aren't edible raw still count towards your "food stores" statistic.  I once very nearly lost an entire fort to starvation because I thought I had hundreds of units of food only to realize that it was 100% seeds.
Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the food stores UI. I went through and checked to see if I had eggs enabled for cooking, I checked the eggs for ownership/forbidden status, and watched the cook grab some from a stockpile and start cooking them. Then nothing. I never saw him leave with the prepared dish, and it wasn't hiding in the kitchen when I viewed i(t)ems in the building. I'm thinking it might have been something wrong with either how the eggs were being treated as food, or something to do with my egg stockpile being directly next to the kitchen.

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 06:52:21 pm »

I had a similar problem, I moved my food stockpile underground and all the food got moved just fine and the next thing I knew my dorfs were running around hunting vermin. Lost a full 100 of them to the ensuing tantrum spiral. Destroying the stockpile and redesignating it fixed that issue, but MAN that was annoying.
Why is this covered in blood?
Pages: [1] 2