Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Okay, it's not me.  (Read 2392 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, it's not me.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

Three more miners starving to death after digging.

They have, like, 4 exits. I've seen other dwarves go down there and come right back up, no problem at all.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 12:37:36 pm »

There seems to be a new pathing problem. I had 4 dwarves of varying professions decide they couldnt enter my doorless hole-in-the-wall of a fortress. They were all stuck in the same place after getting a drink form a nearby pool. I put a couple in the military and set it to active, which fixed the problem until they went to sleep. When they woke up, they refused to leave their rooms and instead spammed pathing errors. 2 more dwarves went to get drinks and started the same shit, for a total of 6 dwarves stricken with SRS (Sudden Retardation Syndrome).

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 12:46:41 pm »

There seems to be a new pathing problem. I had 4 dwarves of varying professions decide they couldnt enter my doorless hole-in-the-wall of a fortress. They were all stuck in the same place after getting a drink form a nearby pool. I put a couple in the military and set it to active, which fixed the problem until they went to sleep. When they woke up, they refused to leave their rooms and instead spammed pathing errors. 2 more dwarves went to get drinks and started the same shit, for a total of 6 dwarves stricken with SRS (Sudden Retardation Syndrome).
Ever since I've started playing this game, my miners have had insanely short life spans. It's getting kind of irritating to wonder why I can't get anything mined, only to find 5 dwarves at the bottom of my fortress, blinking with blue and brown down arrows.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 01:03:43 pm »

Digging them out from another side of the mine seemed to save them again. Hopefully this time I got to them fact enough to avoid another tantrum spiral.

Is it possible that the double stacks of rock might be breaking the pathfinding when I have them dig a channel in limestone/mudstone/etc? I know I've never seen rocks get stacked on one another in any other situation, so maybe the game isn't equipped to handle that happening? This would make even more sense, considering the only time I see this problem is after my miners get quite efficient at their job and almost always have a rock to show for their work.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:05:39 pm by dirty foot »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 01:34:35 pm »

ramps are like kobolds, they are both evil (except kobolds, they are furry and awesomesauce)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 01:53:30 pm »

There's something funny about pathing in recent versions. I've been testing mod reactions on disposable miniforts (so, framerate in the low hundreds), and I've noticed the following pattern.

1. Creature gets job.
2. Creature goes slowly to stockpile for reagent, pausing occasionally for a fraction of a second.
3. Creature picks up reagent and zooms straight to workshop.
4. Repeat for each reagent, even if they're in the same stockpile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]