Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bugs Toady has NOT fixed.  (Read 3701 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bugs Toady has NOT fixed.
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:41:22 am »

Seeing as how Toady worked so hard and fixed so many big bugs (marksdorfs, hospital, ghosts and their FPS crippling thing), I'm actually having trouble naming the big bugs that still exist. The only one I can think of is how kobolds die out during world gen (easily fixed bug this is, too). So, are there any big bugs that DF is currently suffering from?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs Toady has NOT fixed.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:54:08 am »

Dwarves allowing elves to live past worldgen.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:58:07 am »

We have an entire section of the Forum depticated to bringing up bugs.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:02:08 am »

The only one I can think of is how kobolds die out during world gen (easily fixed bug this is, too).

I wouldn't be so certain about how easy that is to "fix".

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:09:01 am »

Military training without a danger room is absolutely useless. I think that's the biggest one.

Animal caretaking is broken. Wounded animals 'need diagnosis' but are never treated.

A single elephant skull, or other large animal body part, will cause a workshop to be *CLT* all by itself.

Animals and prisoners escape cages when brought to the trade depot.

There's a bunch of little ones which don't really matter that much. Cooks don't use dwarven syrup (except rarely). Sometimes materials get mixed in containers that shouldn't be, like lye and water. Some things can happen while 'd'esignating while the game is paused, like cats adopting. There are a few hard-to-reproduce crashes. Etc, etc, etc. The bug tracker has lots of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:11:21 am by ZCM »
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:12:06 am »

Some things can happen while 'd'esignating while the game is paused
but quickly getting through all those stupid trade agreements is so useful! :'(
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:31:35 am »

Military training without a danger room is absolutely useless. I think that's the biggest one.
untrue. you can train on wildlife and prisoners and get high skills.
LOSING IS FUN!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:40:59 am »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 06:38:47 am »

Seeing as how Toady worked so hard and fixed so many big bugs (marksdorfs, hospital, ghosts and their FPS crippling thing), I'm actually having trouble naming the big bugs that still exist. The only one I can think of is how kobolds die out during world gen (easily fixed bug this is, too). So, are there any big bugs that DF is currently suffering from?

Some of those things on the tracker are dupes, feature requests, or otherwise not actual bugs.  The biggest bug for me is the lack of the Dungeon Master.  Yeah, there are a bunch of small things (which we actually have several other threads about right now....) but I don't find that they detract from playing the game *that* much.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 06:48:21 am »

The only bug I have experienced with the game is the one where you get to work in the morning, you have maybe 2 hours of actual work to do so you think, "What the hell, I'll start up DF on the down low and do a little megaprojecting".  Then the next time you look at the clock it's 4.30 and you didn't even go to lunch.

Although I'm hoping it doesn't get 'fixed' any time soon.  :P
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 06:51:05 am »

I'm seeing some weirdness with workshops thinking materials aren't available when they are. Rough diamonds mostly not showing up as cuttable.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:32 am »

The only bug I have experienced with the game is the one where you get to work in the morning, you have maybe 2 hours of actual work to do so you think, "What the hell, I'll start up DF on the down low and do a little megaprojecting".  Then the next time you look at the clock it's 4.30 and you didn't even go to lunch.

Dorf3000's Manager:  "Wow, Dorf3000 is a hard worker, isn't he?  He stayed here several hours late and even skipped lunch!"
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 07:00:42 am »

The only one I can think of is how kobolds die out during world gen (easily fixed bug this is, too).

I wouldn't be so certain about how easy that is to "fix".

Add [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to their raws.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 07:01:33 am »

Dorf3000's Manager:  "Wow, Dorf3000 is a hard worker, isn't he?  He stayed here several hours late and even skipped lunch!"

The look of concentration, and the constant key pressing, adds to the illusion of being an extremely busy person  8)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2 3