Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kill orders  (Read 596 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Kill orders
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:44:30 pm »

Playing on .24, for reference. I'm having trouble with kill orders, specifically when I order my military to kill multiple nonhostile targets. They'll chase whichever ones they target until they kill them, but will then wait at the corpse rather than going after another listed target. When I checked from the order screen, the corpses were still designated as targets, which is likely why they refused to go after the others. This is only an issue when the targets don't fight back, as the dwarves will switch targets once another one enters their field of vision.

Is there any way to fix this beyond waiting for a patch? Not a serious issue, just annoying, as I like to use the seasonal infestation of badgerpeople as live-action training, and this turns it into a tedious session of issuing kill orders, removing kill orders, reissuing, etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kill orders
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:49:31 pm »

Longstanding issue I think.

Just issue move orders instead, and let the dwarves' angry, booze-soaked, simple brains figure it out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »

Just issue move orders instead, and let the dwarves' angry, booze-soaked, simple brains figure it out.

They won't attack non-aggressive targets if simply given move orders, I believe - at least, that's been my experience. My militia would run to a location and scare away the critters, but just stand there sucking their thumbs instead of attacking. Instead, it was necessary to issue kill orders to get them to attack anything that wasn't there to kill or steal from my dwarves.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »

Longstanding Issue. A dwarf will keep trying to attack a target, even if it is dead, until given new orders.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:52:21 pm »

They won't attack non-aggressive targets if simply given move orders, I believe - at least, that's been my experience. My militia would run to a location and scare away the critters, but just stand there sucking their thumbs instead of attacking. Instead, it was necessary to issue kill orders to get them to attack anything that wasn't there to kill or steal from my dwarves.

Yeah, that's pretty much my issue, is that the things I'm putting kill orders on only need kill orders because they aren't aggressive. I figured the bit with the corpses was the bugged part of the system, but I wanted to be sure.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:23 am »

They won't attack non-aggressive targets if simply given move orders

There's a setting for that... or there was, I can't find it anymore.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,