Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get dwarves to pull water from source OTHER then well.  (Read 1472 times)

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I have been trying to get the zoneing stuff setup but I can not seem to manage it for water sources.

I have a full murky outside my base, and I have empty murky pool that I drained (for other reasons).

I want to refill the empty murky pool, with the full murky pool, but I can not get my dorfs to pull water out of the full murky pool. They will only pull water from my well below ground. I have be trying to use the water source zone to get them to do so, but they will not listen. I already know how to make multiple zones to get them to dump water speedily.

Can anyone help me?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:03:34 pm by SombreNote »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get dwarves to pull water from source OTHER then well.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:16 pm »

Try forbidding your well, or just deconstruct it.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:16:23 pm »

Good idea. It urns out when the wells are forbidden, I get the No water source error. So the dwarves will not even LOOK at other water sources I guess. I have two wells, one deep indoor pool, one shallow pool indoor pool, and a few outside murky pools. It seems as though the ONLY water source dwarves will recognize are the wells. 

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:18:06 pm »

Maybe your well is the closest water source? It is as the bird flies, including z levels.

I have no problem with setting a zone for water source. Make sure you set some on the shore and not just all water or it will be ignored.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »

Deconstruct your well.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:27:26 pm »

"Maybe your well is the closest water source? It is as the bird flies, including z levels."

It is far further away then the closes murky pool.

"I have no problem with setting a zone for water source. Make sure you set some on the shore and not just all water or it will be ignored."

Yeah, they never draw water from anything other then the wells. The zoning was done as you suggested.

"Deconstruct your well."

Is this really necessary?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:06:03 pm »

All the parts of the well are placed around where it was built when it is deconstructed so it's not a big deal to deconstruct it, you'll still have all the components.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:00:43 pm »

I am just saying it should not be required. After deconstructing my wells, with the dwarves now recognize the existence of other water sources, after I rebuild the wells?

I remember now, that way back when I did not have an wells built, but I had an underground and above ground pool, and a bunch of dwarves died of thrust.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »

You can always lock your well within a room and door, or try forbidding your well.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:08:19 pm »

"You can always lock your well within a room and door, or try forbidding your well."

yeah, it doesn't work. I am going to try and take them apart, but I am pretty sure that will not work. I might have to report a bug.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 06:47:41 pm »

Are you in a saltwater marsh?  Dwarves won't drink salt water but will drink from wells most of the time.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »

If all else fails build a pump and some walls to guide the water where you want it to go. :P

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »

Being on a map with an aquifer, that suggestion might just be my only chance. I used the collapse method to break on through to the subterranean stone z-levels.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 01:36:37 pm »

So I deconstructed both of my wells, and now I see my dwarves running to the open hole where the well used to be (which has 7 deep water), with their buckets, and I am getting no water source error. There are literally 6 different places the could get water on the map, but they are STILL running to the open hole of the well.