Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I Have a Dragon  (Read 3890 times)

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Have a Dragon
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 06:13:12 pm »

I'd say a DodgeThis! pit trap with the dragon at the bottom.

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 07:36:53 pm »

Well, I tend to be more SimCity in my play style - trying to come into the possession of a breeding pair is definitely what I'm leaning towards.

Once he's tamed I don't *NEED* to chain him down, right? It's just a good idea so that he doesn't breathe fire on everything in sight if a siege comes along?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »

In 31.18 editing the dragon to be [PET] left me with a trap immune, friendly dragon, who incidentally breathed fired at any near by dwarves.  Many melted
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 08:09:59 pm »

Make it invincible, and call it Trogdor. Then sic it on the countryside.

Justin In Oz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:30 pm »

There was another player posting on these fora about having a tame dragon hanging out in their main meeting/dining room. They commented that all was good until random dwarves started showing up burned. The Dragon was not going hostile on anyone, just sending out gouts of flame from time to time. If a dwarf happened to be in the way, they got burned. 

I had a seach for it and could not track it down. Just a cautionary tale before you let they dragon loose in your fortress.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 09:48:27 pm »

True Justin, taming a dragon with a name, means it has eaten dwarf flesh. While it may like its trainer, it still gives any nearby dwarves a fatal belch. If its eggs do hatch, build an arrangement where you can cage trap her, and the babies, then train the babies. They will be Dwarfsafe
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 12:06:45 am »

Emotionally prepare yourself for it to die the first time it comes in contact with a stray goblin arrow. They are unbelievable sissies.

Skeletal Yak Bulls, however, are killing machines of the first order.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 12:38:47 am »

How did you trap it. I'm currently trying to lure dragons to my fort in order to get a breeding pair. (Modded world to have clutch size for dragons raised to 25 and egg size reduced to 50).

Do note - a breeding pair of dragons would be NUTS. Also their eggs are size 1600 or so iirc. Thats a huge egg and it is supposed to have an impact on gestation time, meaning - a huge time to hatch.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 01:11:03 am »

... and unless they're modded, they'll take a LONG time to mature... far, FAR longer than you're likely to want to run a fort.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 01:18:32 am »

Do baby/child dragons breath fire?
Do they even have the stage baby or child for that matter?

The thought of a couple hundred baby dragons the size of Geckos breathing fire on Goblin/Kobold invaders makes me smile.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 02:23:00 am »

Do baby/child dragons breath fire?
Do they even have the stage baby or child for that matter?

The thought of a couple hundred baby dragons the size of Geckos breathing fire on Goblin/Kobold invaders makes me smile.

Dragons don't really have a "child" stage; that's reserved for sentient races. They do, however, grow larger as they age; the biggest dragons don't reach their max size until they're 1000 years old. I believe they breathe fire at any age.

However, making them into a reliable defensive option is difficult and dangerous. Containing them behind fortifications will cause it not to use it's breath on enemies, as creatures only use breath and web attacks if they can path (as demonstrated by the well-known GCS farm layout). Putting them on a chain in the open makes them vulnerable to archers, letting them roam around will result in crispy dwarves. I'd say your best bet is either the DodgeEmTM trap with the dragon pastured below (more fun if creatures can target across z-levels) or using pasturing and creative maze building to lure enemies into the dragon's range.

The only way I succeeded in weaponizing a dragon was with a sacrificial system; my dragon was chained into a fortification cage at the end of a hallway, like so:

Code: [Select]
                                         =======
        =================================       ====
        O   O   O   O   O   O   O   O   O #####
<-out     O   O   O   O   O   O   O   O   # D X  to fort ->
                                         =======

Above the pen was a hatch and a cage with all the fort's kittens and puppies. When enemies came, I'd lure the goblins down the path (the pillars were to keep archers from getting lucky shots through the fortifications), then once they were at the right point, drop a small animal into the pen through the hatch. The dragon, with prey in it's grasp, would breathe flame once or twice before tearing the pet to shreds, also resulting in many flaming goblins. Unfortunately, any that had shields typically blocked without a problem, and thus it's not perfect. Also, the first test-fire resulted in the death of the fort's only trained architect.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 03:40:21 pm »

Dragons don't really have a "child" stage; that's reserved for sentient races. They do, however, grow larger as they age; the biggest dragons don't reach their max size until they're 1000 years old. I believe they breathe fire at any age.

However, making them into a reliable defensive option is difficult and dangerous. Containing them behind fortifications will cause it not to use it's breath on enemies, as creatures only use breath and web attacks if they can path (as demonstrated by the well-known GCS farm layout). Putting them on a chain in the open makes them vulnerable to archers, letting them roam around will result in crispy dwarves. I'd say your best bet is either the DodgeEmTM trap with the dragon pastured below (more fun if creatures can target across z-levels) or using pasturing and creative maze building to lure enemies into the dragon's range.

The only way I succeeded in weaponizing a dragon was with a sacrificial system; my dragon was chained into a fortification cage at the end of a hallway, like so:

Code: [Select]
                                         =======
<-out     O   O   O   O   O   O   O   O   # D X  to fort ->
                                         =======

Above the pen was a hatch and a cage with all the fort's kittens and puppies. When enemies came, I'd lure the goblins down the path (the pillars were to keep archers from getting lucky shots through the fortifications), then once they were at the right point, drop a small animal into the pen through the hatch. The dragon, with prey in it's grasp, would breathe flame once or twice before tearing the pet to shreds, also resulting in many flaming goblins. Unfortunately, any that had shields typically blocked without a problem, and thus it's not perfect. Also, the first test-fire resulted in the death of the fort's only trained architect.

Damn, that post killed my two forts that I was building to trap dragons in, and the dragon world I genned. :(

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 03:47:31 pm »

Emotionally prepare yourself for it to die the first time it comes in contact with a stray goblin arrow. They are unbelievable sissies.

Sadly this is true.  My dragon died to a single goblin with a copper sword and a copper shield who survived the fight completely uninjured, including three or four times the dragon flamed at it.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

Whatever you do with it, do NOT chain it up right next to the trade depot. Especially if you get thieves and snatchers that make it that far. And even more especially if there is generally lots of booze at the depot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2]