Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Have a Dragon  (Read 3889 times)

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I Have a Dragon
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:17:40 pm »

He's in a cage trap. My dwarves are admiring him.

My question is: as I have no dungeon master, now what do I do with it?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: I Have a Dragon
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »

Close Dwarf Fortress.

Go into your region's save, open the creature_standard.txt, find the dragon entry and change PET_EXOTIC to PET.

Open Dwarf Fortress.

Profit.

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:25:01 pm »

Should I go with a war dragon, then?

Or should I make it a nest box?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:28:02 pm »

I don't think that dragons are breeders (could be wrong), and your chances of getting a breeding pair are slim at best.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:42:27 pm »

I don't think that dragons are breeders (could be wrong), and your chances of getting a breeding pair are slim at best.

They are, but you do need a breeding pair, and thats preety hard to come by.

Leave it as a normal dragon. No need for training. It is powerful enough already.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:47:20 pm »

Name the Dragon Drunken McFarter. The enemy will laugh as they get toasty and die. Then drop magma on it to preserve the dragon, but make sure it is the centerpiece to the hallway of your fort. It will be a warning to others who dare enter your fort..... Though that might just disappearify the dragon, you will have a defense system now amirite?
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:04:27 pm »

Will I ever need to feed him now that he's tame? How much do dragons eat?

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:11:25 pm »

Only creatures with the [GRAZER] tag need to eat. Dragons don't have it, and so don't need to eat.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »

I would just feed him those legendary soap makers.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:13:44 pm »

I don't believe exotic animals ever starve. Put a pillar in the middle of your entrance hall and tie the dragon to it.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »

Only creatures with the [GRAZER] tag need to eat. Dragons don't have it, and so don't need to eat.
I take it this is a tag I can only see by looking at the raws?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 04:34:15 pm »

Make a pen somewere safe, put a nest box in. and make sure the place can be sealed off with a bridge or such and is filled with cage traps. the dragon will lay eggs. if the opposite sex dragon enters the map, then the eggs will become fertalised -any new ones anyway- when they hatch theyll move onto the cage traps around the nest box, you now have baby dragons to tame ^^ and probably your own breeding pair.

from their you just isolate all female dragons into these hatcherys -1 to each, unless you make realy big ones- and keep 1 male isolated somewere safe, any excess males or females after the 2nd or 3rd hatchery become your new dragon pets, and when mounts are introduced, the firebreathing freinds of yours become the flying dwarven cavalry ^^
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »

upgrade my fire imp box.

3x3 ring of fortifications with raising bridges to close off safeley. pit drogon into it.

expendible animals/criminals chained in potential field of fire to lure gobbos into dragon flame range.

enjoy.
This is a blank sig.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 05:24:42 pm »

I'd create a fire turret near my main gate.  Put the dragon inside a ring of fortifications, and along the outside of these set up some bridges as screens to keep it from frying everyone who walks by.  Goblins show up, evacuate civilians, deploy fire turret!

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 05:25:12 pm »

'ello, me name is Urist the Blackburne an' fir a swig o' ale an' a shag, I shall tell ye a story like you aven't heard before.

Once'pon a time, tis was a mighty fortres, tat was, -hic- and we bashed the earth'n'steel and brewed righteous grog and prospered, like good times -hic-, y'now?
But one day, our king drank one cup o'beer too many, and says, like, "Hey, lads, let's breed us a dragon or three. We can eat'em, sell'em, show them for a quick coin."
And as he said, that crazy old fag, so it was done -hic-. Lemme tell you a thing - dragnosh... dragons, they smell worse pish, never let you sleep at night, and what's worst, one day dem jist go crazy and burn all your fortress, as they burn oursh.. -hic-. And what did not burn, they ate. And what they couldn't eat, they tore to pieshc...es. -Hic-.

Spare a keg o' lager... or four, would ya? Have pity for a  poor -hic- homeslellssh dorf! 
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.
Pages: [1] 2