Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any pokemon mods?  (Read 2736 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Any pokemon mods?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 08:54:56 am »

I wonder how well DF takes the Wailord-Skitty breeding..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:59:36 am by Ultimuh »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:20 am »

Yeah, 3's right, I just looked it up on the wiki. I just have fond memories of that "cross breeding" thread :D

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46:34 pm »

You could make it so that each 'evolution chain' was its own species, i.e. charmander, charmeleon, and charizard are all different castes of the same species. That way you would have relatively similar monster castes within each species.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 12:13:59 am »

I'm mostly waiting for a way to cause damage via Water / Electric / Psychic / Dark / Ghost attacks, before I can try to make an authentic mod.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 02:01:58 am »

Custom body parts with custom attack descriptions?

The charmander blasts the squirtle in the head with his fireball, bruising the scale and bruising the fat!
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 07:31:20 am »

I guess Syndromes could work for some of the attacks?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 03:17:40 pm »

The base idea is good. Especially when you keep in mind just how terrifying many pokemon would be to meet alone...or without your own. Seriously, there's a whole page dedictaed to the nightmare fuel in pokemon on TVTropes. I'd do the base (trying to make the creatures), but as of right now I'm trying to write a story, so my time is basically study/play df/write. Do think syndromes could work for status effects. Poison types would be easy to implement.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »

Poison - Yep, and possibly Elec as an unresistable short lived extreme pain touch attack which other Elec types are immune to. You could possibly do the same with Psychic, and Ghost, and Dark... But it'll seem a bit naff, then.

I still want a way to project water at a damaging speed. XD

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »

[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ATTACK_WATER:LIQUID_GLOB]

Where ATTACK_WATER is a substance that inflicts a syndrome that causes bruising to creatures that don't resist it and necrosis to creatures weak against it.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like you might not even need the bruising syndrome.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:01:32 pm by Radiant_Phoenix »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »

WOWZERS  :o

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »

Sweet, it's nice to see an idea of mine (I know a lot of other people tried this before) take off. I'd try to make this mod, but i aren't very good at Modding... at all.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 12:09:28 am »

Well, I started taking my own whack at it, but I doubt I'll finish it on my own.

I think that a simple initial implementation of types would be something like this: Every type is a class, like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And you just include whichever types are appropriate. Then, you add a special material for each type with it's own syndrome, like these:

And make all typed attacks inject the appropriate attack type extract.

Some of the materials are probably not the best choice, and we would probably end up with some large material_template and tissue_template files for the pokemon and their attacks.

I'm also not sure if the variation to include all the variations actually works or not, and if we were intending to do this collaboratively, it would probably be best to make each attack type material a material template in its own file, instead of a creature variation. The multiple files make file editing conflicts less likely, and making them material_template is certain to work and makes special exceptions less work, e.g. a 'scrappy' ability.

Attacks would probably work best as creature variations, like so:

And again, separate files like c_variation_pokemon_attack_vinewhip would be easier for multiple people to work with simultaneously.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 12:17:39 am »

This is beginning to get rather insane. In a good way.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 12:25:55 am »

Here's the beginning of my bulbasaur. I'm using VBASE to get started because it makes designing creatures just that much easier, although it doesn't show up much at this point.

Unfortunately, implementing egg groups will almost certainly require everything to go in one file... Unless we can make the castes in separate files with [DOES_NOT_EXIST], and then simply use [COPY_TAGS_FROM: ] to add them into the egg group creature, then remove that tag in creature:egg_foo with [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:EXISTS]...

EDIT: Also, UNIQUE_DEMON for legendaries?
EDIT2: I'm leaning against it, but [ENTITY:HUMANSHAPE]?
EDIT3: Hmm, it occurs to me that making lower-evolution pokemon [BABY] or [CHILD] carries three problems: evolution, branching, and actually using the creature. The first might be dealt with somewhat by making some parts change size/color/whatever, and the second by a separate entry for each evolutionary path, but I don't know of a good solution for the last one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:02:34 am by Radiant_Phoenix »

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 11:38:22 am »

Well, it seems we found a way for attacks to work. Also, wouldn't [UNIQUE_DEMON] Cause a pokemon to be the leader of a Civilization?

Pages: 1 [2] 3