Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I want the elves to bring more tamed animals...  (Read 1897 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
So I want the elves to bring more tamed animals...
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:41:03 am »

Apart from magma and killing them in gruesome ways (if this even works), is there any way for me to optimize this ?

I have heard giving them benefits is not good, because next time they will bring more rope cloth and crappy -ashen piccolos- or something.

I want barrels, cages and cool exotic animals, damn it !

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:42:43 am by Naryar »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: So I want the elves to bring more tamed animals...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:50:44 am »

AFAI they come woth more of you kill them. But that might be a coincidence (<- I really have to download Firefox english spelling/grammar instead of using the dutch one)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:28:51 am »

traders try to bring the most value that thay can fit on the animals.
in the case of elves rope cloth packs the most  vaue(☼)  per Weight(Γ) this makes them fill up the all the space with it,so thay have no space for the good stuff.

you can try and make there animals cary more by moding TRADE_CAPACITY to a bigger number.
bewere that the elfs may not have time to unload it so help them out.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:32 am »

traders try to bring the most value that thay can fit on the animals.
in the case of elves rope cloth packs the most  vaue(☼)  per Weight(Γ) this makes them fill up the all the space with it,so thay have no space for the good stuff.

you can try and make there animals cary more by moding TRADE_CAPACITY to a bigger number.
bewere that the elfs may not have time to unload it so help them out.

I though that that is only true for 40d and now just a rumor? I saw a post about someone saying that, have never played 40d myself

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:40:40 am »

I've read that it's to do with your supply of cloth. If you have a lot around, they won't bring it.

I noticed back in .18 that elves were bringing more animals after a couple of years of seizing their stuff, but I don't know what the state of my cloth industry was at the time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:06 am »

I can confirm they having a lot of cloth means they bring less. I have pages worth of cloth domestically produced and they bring little or none. Usually I get 4-5 caged animals a year.
Memento Mori

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:27:35 pm »

The solution is literally to kill lots of elves and take all their shit.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »

So basically, I do like in 40d: Kill elves or steal their stuff, and they come back for more stuff ?

And they will not attack me ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:59:02 pm by Naryar »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:22:06 pm »

OK, I did the deed. My trade depot now has been just cleaned off of elf blood and there are a few camels parts spread across the room.

Also, my stockpiles are kinda being filled with elf shite. Hopefully I got a grizzly bear.

And two rhesus macaques. What the hell am I going to do with rhesus macaques ? Steal shit out of the goblins ?

Owait. Rhesus Pieces.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 02:28:38 pm »

Yes. Steal, kill, etc. and they will bring "worse" goods, i.e. the ones you want.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »

The solution is literally to kill lots of elves and take all their shit.
I'd do that, but with my luck the elves would just start importing nothing but wooden weapons and armor ... and terror (not that being attacked by elves armed with rubberwood swords is very terrifying).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »

Dwarf Fortress. The game where when you want the elves to bring better goods, you KILL THEM IN BRUTAL FASHION WITHOUT A WORD and they understand.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »

If you have loads of cloth, they tend to bring less cloth with them. That means more room for other stuff. killing them is dwarfier, but they might go to war with you as well. You could always just rob them burn them liberate the animals from the cannibalistic tree huggers instead.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:52 am »

One year later...

To my disappointment, they brought a raccoon, a fox and a vulture.

No loads of rope reed cloth bins for now, but they brought tons of other shit. AKA -larch piccolos-, <<rope reed fiber socks>>,-alder spears- and other useless shit.

Well too bad for them. I'm seizing what I want. AKA the cages, and alcohol, and a few plants.

Oh, and I'm going to strip them also, and toss these -rope reed fiber socks- right into the magma sea. Fun for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:25:13 am by Naryar »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:29 am »

Have loads of cloth, loads of surface plants, loads of wood, booze, barrels, wooden crafts and toys, then the elves should bring the only thing they have and you don't - caged animals.
Don't know if it'll work, but it works with cloth and wood so i think it's worth giving a try.
Pages: [1] 2