Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: taming issue  (Read 987 times)

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
taming issue
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:09:13 pm »

ok so i have a caged badger and it wont let me tame it, i select tame large creature, and it cancels due to having no valid targets.

also, my kennel wont let me train a hunting dog, i have a grown dog wandering around-get the message: no creature, or something.

yeah so i might want to tame everything, and train them, but either a bug is stopping me or something else is that im missing here, and yeah, i know about the DM.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: taming issue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 03:10:26 pm »

Badgers are probably [PET_EXOTIC], but I haven't checked.

The dog is probably someone's pet.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »

You might not be able to tame them without a Dungeon Master (which i have personally never seen). Also some animals are un-tamable, such as Unicorns.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:22 pm »

i checked the wiki and basically, any mythical creature is exotic-though i couldnt find badger, it wouldnt be exotic...so may be a bug with some of the new animals...

also, another piece of detail, i can tame vermin(well not all vermin) just fine, cardinals and hedgehogs.  one of my engravers claimed all the hoggies lolz

didnt know being someones pet blocks training...

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:14 pm »

i checked the wiki and basically, any mythical creature is exotic-though i couldnt find badger, it wouldnt be exotic...so may be a bug with some of the new animals...

also, another piece of detail, i can tame vermin(well not all vermin) just fine, cardinals and hedgehogs.  one of my engravers claimed all the hoggies lolz

didnt know being someones pet blocks training...

Generally, any non-domestic animal is exotic, not merely mythological creatures.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:45:32 pm »

Other then dogs, cats, and bears, all other creatures are exotics.

Dungeon master is broken, so you will need to edit the RAWs

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:51:30 pm »

What is funny is that in real life badgers are pretty much untamable, due to ferocity. Hehehehehehehehe.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:53:26 pm »

But... dwarves and badgers aren't so different. They both dig, they both fight ferociously, they both throw random tantrums.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 03:57:21 pm »

yes, badgers are nasty...

i really dont think most animals are exotic, though, if anything should be, its badgers...i need to catch a fox or something instead, those shouldnt be exotic right?...or more rabbits...youd think more dwarves would adopt them(theyve been breeding like crazy)

you should also be able to trade animals right? WTS a million cats and a hundred rabbits!

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »

Badgers (and their variants) are PET_EXOTIC, so you'll need the NOEXOTICS utility.  Unzip it into your df folder, double-click, and follow the prompts.  To modify an existing game, put it in ~/save/regionX, where regionX is your current save game. 

For the dog issue, is it someone's pet?  Pets cannot be trained, nor can animals in cages or on restraints.  Also, the trainer and animal both need access to the kennel.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 04:30:58 am »

so "wild" non-exotic need to be in cages to tame; and tame, non-pets need to be unrestrained, to be trained...and trainable, of course, gotcha, thanks for the clear answer

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 04:46:45 am »

Yes, badgers and Dwarves ARE very similar.

Tell them what to do, and they totally ignore you and then go off and to their own thing.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 11:19:57 am »

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but. I've modded giant tigers and badgers to be trainable (I embarked with 'em), and I got a cpl foxes and a badger via trade. I use the kennel, tame large animal... then it goes to a select screen, like I'm designating. I can't pick cages of animals or food, cuz they're in stockpiles (and it switches to the stockpile screen when I move over them)...what am I doing wrong?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but. I've modded giant tigers and badgers to be trainable (I embarked with 'em), and I got a cpl foxes and a badger via trade. I use the kennel, tame large animal... then it goes to a select screen, like I'm designating. I can't pick cages of animals or food, cuz they're in stockpiles (and it switches to the stockpile screen when I move over them)...what am I doing wrong?

Anything you embark with is already tamed, look in the unit screen or z-Animals. So is anything the elves or other traders sell you.

You want to train them (need to mod each species for TRAINABLE). The option is called "train hunting dog", a throwback to when only dogs in the game were trainable.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:41:36 pm by Reelyanoob »