Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Fort- Ideas?  (Read 533 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Adventure Fort- Ideas?
« on: March 26, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »

I'm considering making a fortress with the express purpose of revisiting it in Adventure Mode as part of a personal challenge to kill a representative of every living creature (undead aside). Naturally, this is going to require some skill training, and I'd like to be able to store the skulls in some kind of trophy room for bookkeeping purposes. Aesthetically the whole place will be like a big dwarven-engineered Batcave.

What I'd like are ideas on what to put in the fort that will be useful in Adventure mode. I'm thinking that I'll want at least a lead bin filled with steel equipment. I'm also planning on a swimming pool and a lever controlled access to HFS. I'm debating an arena I can put creatures in that can be released via lever, to save some travel time. I'll need a magma-chute to "clean up" after the digging is done. I'm also debating an automatic danger room- I'm very much on the fence about that since it somewhat undermines the point of the challenge, and I'll probably ignore it on my first (hopefully only) attempt, but I'd hate to find that my only option for survival is letting undead groundhogs beat me to buff armor skills- at that point I may as well use the danger room, since it is just as exploity.

I'd also appreciate any advice on what kinds of effects abandoning has on a fortress- I know items get scattered randomly, but what happens to tame animals? Hostile units on the map? Friendlies? Built buildings like beds/cabinets?

Bonus points awarded for style!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Fort- Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:24:21 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how the automatic danger room would work. Lever-activated repeater?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 02:28:32 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how the automatic danger room would work. Lever-activated repeater?

My thought, yes. This also means I need to embark on a source of water.

...say, if the entire fortress is underwater does the item spread still happen? If it doesn't then I could preserve everything by flooding the fort and making sure there is a lever activated drain.

Hell, I might do the water "mothball" just because its cool. Or better yet, bugger the magmachute and just flush the fortress with magma- everything I want to keep would need to be magmasafe, but I can roll with that. Although that could take a loooong time to drain.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:31:13 pm »

EDIT: Forgot to take into account multiple visits.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »

Also, if anyone has lots of worldgen experience, how big a world do I need to make sure I have plenty of creatures from an assortment of biomes? Do pocket worlds have full range? If I jack up the megabeast number (to ensure proper variety), will they kill everything in year one? One of the biggest hurdles that I foresee with this challenge is travel time since it involves traveling from jungle to tundra and everywhere in between to find the creatures. I'm already gonna have to stop worldgen early to ensure the presence of Kobolds...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:37:06 pm »

One bump, for justice.