Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: End the annoyingness of quests  (Read 3300 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
End the annoyingness of quests
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:34:08 am »

If there is one pet-peeve I've had playing DF, it's the fact that I cannot control whether I accept or decline a quest, and when I do ask for one, it's stuck on my quest list until I complete it or I die.

Why can't we have an option to decline quests?
Why can't we delete quests if we decide that we don't feel like completing them?

I don't know the answer to either of these questions, because frankly, we should be able to do both of these things.

Bump this thread if you agree with me. No one wants stupid missions cluttering their quest list.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End the annoyingness of quests
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:46:24 am »

Can I suggest instead a "Displayed Quests Filter"?

Lets you hear about and 'accept' the essentially impossible quests, as per now, but you can still ignore them until you're ready (or forever).

Combined that with a facility to sort (nearest quest first, oldest given quest first, some arbitrary[1] ordering of difficulty) and search ("bandit"-only, "dragons", etc), the latter of which could also include both elements of the journey ("quests still unfulfilled", "successes yet to be reported").

[1] Not necessarily accurate, what with different playing styles and possibly random support mobs around the central character.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:11 pm »

Can I suggest instead a "Displayed Quests Filter"?

Lets you hear about and 'accept' the essentially impossible quests, as per now, but you can still ignore them until you're ready (or forever).

Combined that with a facility to sort (nearest quest first, oldest given quest first, some arbitrary[1] ordering of difficulty) and search ("bandit"-only, "dragons", etc), the latter of which could also include both elements of the journey ("quests still unfulfilled", "successes yet to be reported").

[1] Not necessarily accurate, what with different playing styles and possibly random support mobs around the central character.

That sounds perfect to me. The conversation with NPCs could go like this:

(With low reputation)
"Rutz Hangingfrowns the minotaur lives north of here in Shadyglooms..."
"...But I doubt that one such as you would stand a chance against it."

(With high reputation)
"Rutz Hangingfrowns the minotaur lives north of here in Shadyglooms."
"Great hero, deliver us from this horrible beast!"

And as far as easier quests...

(With low reputation)
"The bandit group The Shiny Forks has been disturbing our peace."
"Perphaps you could do something about them."

(With high reputation)
"The lowly bandit group The Shiny Forks has been disturbing our peace."
"But do not trouble yourself with them. You must have greater matters to attend to."

Being able to filter quests like that would be very nice, and would always lead to either Fun, or PROFIT.

So it's a win-win.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:16:45 pm »

The reason you cannot refuse quests is because you don't accept them.

It is then asking a favor and them telling you what they need.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:02:31 pm »

The reason you cannot refuse quests is because you don't accept them.

It is then asking a favor and them telling you what they need.

Does that matter when they're sitting in your quest log taking up space? It's not about how the conversation works. It's the fact that the current system is annoying.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »

So then you would like a quest log organiser.

Especially since if I overhear something that I'd like to explore. It appearing in my quest organiser would be nice.

Mind you I can only say this because I KNOW that there will be a system in place to refuse quests.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:59:18 pm by Neonivek »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:07 am »

BUMP! I WANT IT!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:40:37 am »

BUMP! I WANT IT!

Refused Quests should still appear somewhere in the quest log.

Afterall you just learned some important information on a world stompen creature, backstabin gobleen, or sword swinging swinger.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:03:43 am »

BUMP! I WANT IT!

Refused Quests should still appear somewhere in the quest log.

Afterall you just learned some important information on a world stompen creature, backstabin gobleen, or sword swinging swinger.

I agree. There could be two, or three different sections for quests: Current (which means you accepted it), Refused (Which means you did not accept it) and Completed (Duh).

Sounds like a good idea to me.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:34 pm »

It seems logical that the quest list should be, at minimum, filterable. I'm definitely for this suggestion.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 04:24:28 pm »

It's not like suggestion is a concept Toady never thought of. With the Adventure Mode update, he simply added new features to be fleshed out later.

I'm sure when Toady gets around to a lot of the adventure mode features, the gameplay will get a lot smoother.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:49:59 pm »

The one thing that annoys me the most about the current system is the high-level quests for new adventurers. Honestly, I once got a bronze colossus as my first quest.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 06:01:27 pm »

The one thing that annoys me the most about the current system is the high-level quests for new adventurers. Honestly, I once got a bronze colossus as my first quest.

I never get such luck... always an endless supply of bandits.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 07:08:34 pm »

I don't see that as a problem.  At the moment (at least[1]) if you can't do the quest you can just ignore it and do ones you can.  In my experience (a couple of versions old, so it may have changed in the meantime) you quite easily get loads and loads of quests just by spamming the appropriate quest-queries on every friendly individual you get jaw-jaw time with.  Then pick'n'choose by distance (possibly also direction, if you've got a journey plan in mind), the nature of the enemy (e.g. avoid the colossi, take your chances only against bandits at first, later on go for the stuff where there's a single quick take-down of monsters unlikely to have following mobs, etc, etc) and off you go, to die at the hands of the first bit of wildlife you disturbed, before even getting to the quest.  However, if you survive all that, rather than having to rediscover all the stuff you discarded earlier when you've become tough-enough, you have them all handily in a list already.

Hence why I think a quest display filter is the answer.

As to Met's issue with bandits-only... Perhaps the particular worldgens that you regularly use have a large megabeast die-off and bandits (to my knowledge, BICBW, just sparked into existence procedurally as long as there's a civilisation around for them to have come from) thus become the dominant force.

[1] In the future, it's quite possible that there are other roving adventurers in the world (AI ones, of course, give Toady's natural disinclination towards completely overturning the existing game style(s) in order to allow a multiplayer experience) who are also attempting to mop up various quests.  Perhaps so that when you end up making decisions that make you various new (or changing) friends and enemies with different civilisations, you and they end up on a collision-course with perhaps even quests against each other arising (at the same time!?!?!)... :)

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 10:22:39 am »

I always play with Beasts set to Max and only gen 250 years or so. So that's not it.
Pages: [1] 2