Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary child  (Read 2353 times)

bobahz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary child
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:10:58 am »

One of children has been taken by the mood, created adamantine artifact toy hammer and became legendary stonecrafter.
Is it intended? Obviously he had not stonecrafter skill before the mood, as he is a child.

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary child
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:13:00 am »

This happens occasionally. I would say that it is intended.

bobahz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:24 am »

To make children not completely useless?  :D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:20 am »

To make children not completely useless?  :D

Pretty much. And you gotta admit it is awesome thinking about a 6 year old legendary weaponsmith at work.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:58:06 am »

I wouldn't mind this except it always leads to me having 20 children that are legendary Woodcrafters, Stonecrafters, and Bone Carvers. They can't get any useful moods regardless of where they've been hanging out in the fortress, what their parents did, etc. because unskilled dwarves always claim a Craftsdwarf's Workshop and create a random _____crafting artifact. In your case, Stonecrafting.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:59:26 am »

Yes, children can get strange moods.

Or you can actually get legendary children in social skills :P

And legendary bone carvers and stonecrafters are very useful anyways. Woodcrafters, however...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:04 am »

And legendary bone carvers and stonecrafters are very useful anyways. Woodcrafters, however...
You get a lot fewer bolts per bone in this version; I think the wiki said no more than a stack of five per bone, which may or may not be a bug, whereas wood provides stacks of 25. Given that useful metal is currently at a premium and wood bolts will perform tolerably well against an opponent without armour, a few legendary woodcrafters might well come in handy in a settlement with dangerous local wildlife.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:31:57 am »

Does the dwarf still get massive gains in ability like "Superdwarvenly Tough" from shooting to Legendary, which "assists" in learning other skills?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

Hey, eventually you'll get enough legendary craftschildren to build a legendary sweatshop.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »

You get a lot fewer bolts per bone in this version; I think the wiki said no more than a stack of five per bone, which may or may not be a bug, whereas wood provides stacks of 25. Given that useful metal is currently at a premium and wood bolts will perform tolerably well against an opponent without armour, a few legendary woodcrafters might well come in handy in a settlement with dangerous local wildlife.

Not quite true. You get identical amounts of bolts as you used to, its just that bone carvers peel off individual bones from stacks before crafting them. What this means is that you get a lot of stacks of 5 bone bolts, but when making bone armor, you no longer waste a stack of 16 elephant bones to make one helmet. Your military still carries about 20 bolts total in their quivers as well, so that it's not too big of a deal to make stacks of 5 bolts.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »

Pretty much. And you gotta admit it is awesome thinking about a 6 year old legendary weaponsmith at work.

Children can only become legendary Bone/Stone/Wood Crafters by moods, nothing else.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 02:05:58 pm »

Not quite true. You get identical amounts of bolts as you used to, its just that bone carvers peel off individual bones from stacks before crafting them. What this means is that you get a lot of stacks of 5 bone bolts, but when making bone armor, you no longer waste a stack of 16 elephant bones to make one helmet. Your military still carries about 20 bolts total in their quivers as well, so that it's not too big of a deal to make stacks of 5 bolts.
I stand corrected, having misread the wiki. Wooden bolts still have the advantage of not using up a raw material that can make elf-friendly trade goods, however, and they're a useful supplier for raw materials like cloth and wood.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »

Children can only become legendary Bone/Stone/Wood Crafters by moods, nothing else.

Unless you use Dwarf Therapist to enable certain labors on the children. I have, at different times, had children gathering plants, slaving away in the smelter, and being solely responsible for pouring out bone items.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 03:43:43 pm »

Your military still carries about 20 bolts total in their quivers as well, so that it's not too big of a deal to make stacks of 5 bolts.

Oh, so they'll actually grab multiple stacks until they have the proper amount?... I had no idea.  I've been melting or atom smashing non-stacked bolts for the longest time because I thought they would cause stupidity.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »

Unless you use Dwarf Therapist to enable certain labors on the children. I have, at different times, had children gathering plants, slaving away in the smelter, and being solely responsible for pouring out bone items.

...you can have kids work using dwarf therapist? interesting >.> guess "children do as they please" ISNT SO TRUE ANYMORE EH FUCKERS!
Pages: [1] 2